Newry bap. name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newry bap. name?

Would sks please look at the Newry baptisms for me and see what the name of the child is.
    1st January 1840.
    Andr of John Campbell etc.
    Is the full name going to be Andrew or Alexander? I am supposing it is the former,but I am hoping for the latter!
    If you think it is Alexander is the mother Mary Breen/ Brien. There is another baptism 18 July 1837-Ellen C.
    Thank you
    Fran

You're right to suppose it is Andrew.
    I read it as Andrw of John Campbell and Mary Breen sponsors Bernd Smith and Mary Ann Bradley.
    There is an Alexander elsewhere on the 1837 page below which is abbreviated as Alexandr
    (Can't do the little superscript letters in this message)
    This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Ellen of John Campbell and Mary Brien sponsors Hugh Brien and Mary Smith. Definitely Brien this time - unmistakeable dot over the i. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a different couple though, given the spelling vagaries of surnames
    This website contains images from the NLI’s collection of Catholic parish register microfilms. The registers contain records of baptisms and marriages from the majority of Catholic parishes in Ireland and Northern Ireland up to 1880.

Links included above for anyone else who wants to take a look.

Christine
    PS - I've never worked out what sks means. Can someone enlighten me?
    Last edited by Karamazov; 15-08-15, 18:56.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
      Christine
      PS - I've never worked out what sks means. Can someone enlighten me?
      SKS - some kind soul?
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you for looking. I thought as much! Yes, sks does mean some kind soul.
        Fran

Comment

Working...
        X