X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
    One old feature that I haven't been able to make work in the new:
    ** I haven't been able to correct mistranscriptions **

Is it just me? I've really found it useful in the past to find others who are researching the same records. I found a 4C1R that way, and connected with a woman doing research on 18th century lottery winners (seriously!) who was able to answer a question about the family.
    When you find a record with an associated image, you have two options: view image or view record. Even though it looks like you are already viewing the record/transcription, click on View Record. You will then see an option on the left where you can add alternate information.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
      When you find a record with an associated image, you have two options: view image or view record. Even though it looks like you are already viewing the record/transcription, click on View Record. You will then see an option on the left where you can add alternate information. Christine
      OK, got it. But you can't change it on the index line as you used to be able to do, which was more convenient - you could look at the image while you entered the correction. Also strange: you can change some fields - the record I looked at allowed you to change house number and family number from the index. Weird.

Comment

The changes have spurred me on to tidy up some of my recording of locations which was rather sloppy really - I knew they were in England, but of course their algorithm doesn't always realise that and I had location pins all over the world - my fault and not theirs!!!! I also found that sometimes I had put the name of a vessel in the place instead of the address. I have been right through and every place is correctly entered now as town/village/hamlet, county/state, country - with commas if I don't know the town and/or county. Of course having my master tree offline made it a lot easier and a good reason for not having your tree only online.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline, I know you use FH. Just for my own interest, did you "go right through every place" in the list of places on FH, rather than every single person? I, like you have some rather random names and often several names for what is meant to be the same place.
          Does Ancestry accept Chapman county codes eg YKS or BKM? Or do you have to have every county name in full? What happens with a tiny hamlet? What happens with a Registration District?

I have not yet put any trees on Ancestry but am hoping to do so soon when I have them in the best condition!
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Caroline, I know you use FH. Just for my own interest, did you "go right through every place" in the list of places on FH, rather than every single person? I, like you have some rather random names and often several names for what is meant to be the same place.
            Does Ancestry accept Chapman county codes eg YKS or BKM? Or do you have to have every county name in full? What happens with a tiny hamlet? What happens with a Registration District?

I have not yet put any trees on Ancestry but am hoping to do so soon when I have them in the best condition!
            Anne
            I didn't use the list of places as I couldn't see how to change anything through that, so I used an unknown person and went in through their Place of Birth, more, Edit etc.. It seemed safer than doing it by queries or anything else. FH is not here on the laptop so I can add more if you need it. I did have ,England in the clipboard which saved some time. I also checked spellings as I went through. I merged the wonky spellings and inconsistent entries at the same time. It took ages and I had RSI from all the double clicking but I was well pleased when I had finished.

UPDATE:
            Select an individual record.
            Born in - Double click on the three dots > More > Edit > Double click on the three dots on Place: and you get the box for Edit Place Name.
            If you only know Country then put ,,USA. Only county then ,Sussex, England or else Arundel, Sussex, England. Then they all line up nicely and you can see which ones you still have to do as well as helping spot inconsistencies/typos etc. Then Click OK then Close.
            If you want to see where they are used, you can click on Where used before you Close - I found this handy when I had the name of ship for example and then I could sort it through the record itself.
            Repeat .....

For Registration districts I put for example, Fenland (R), Cambridgeshire, England - Ancestry didn't find that one, I wouldn't expect it to, but it finds them if they are the name of a place. e.g. Amesbury (R). I've only ever used county names so I don't know what it (Ancestry) does with Chapman codes.
            Caroline
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for the FH instructions Caroline - am thinking I might have to "tidy" mine up as well. The only thing that is putting me off is the extra long place name that will appear should I want to print out charts. I normally include the place alongside dates of birth/marriage/death - if it's going to show England after each one I can see the box sizes getting bigger and bigger! :(
              Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I suspect there will be a way in FH of leaving that out on charts and diagrams. The experts on The User Group will know and could probably write you a plugin! (Never used on of those myself yet!)

Thanks Caroline. I can see some work ahead!!!
                Anne
                Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 17-10-15, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Thanks for the FH instructions Caroline - am thinking I might have to "tidy" mine up as well. The only thing that is putting me off is the extra long place name that will appear should I want to print out charts. I normally include the place alongside dates of birth/marriage/death - if it's going to show England after each one I can see the box sizes getting bigger and bigger! :(
                  You can do quite a lot with text schemes under Options in FH for customising your trees/charts - you should be able to miss out country.
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    You can do quite a lot with text schemes under Options in FH for customising your trees/charts - you should be able to miss out country.
                    Thanks Caroline ... I really need some spare time to see what FH can do!
                    Elaine

Comment

Had a quick look - you can select Short which is just town name, Medium adds the County and the Tidy and Full adds the country.
                      Caroline

Comment

Had a quick look - you can select Short which is just town name, Medium adds the County and the Tidy and Full adds the country.
                        That's great. Thanks.
                        Elaine

Comment

Elaine, have you switched to FH? I thought you were an FTM user!

Comment

I didn't use the list of places as I couldn't see how to change anything through that, so I used an unknown person and went in through their Place of Birth, more, Edit etc.. It seemed safer than doing it by queries or anything else.
                            I'm still using FH 5.0.7, so I'm not sure if this will work with latest version, but, when I did some place clean up quite a while ago, I did it using Tools => Work with Data =>Places, That gives you a list of all places (and FH distinguishes between addresses and places).

You may then click on an individual place, then "Records" if you want to verify that all records using that instance are indeed referring to the same place. Then you can either double click to edit that particular place, or "Replace with" to select another place to merge it into.

Comment

I'm still using FH 5.0.7, so I'm not sure if this will work with latest version, but, when I did some place clean up quite a while ago, I did it using Tools => Work with Data =>Places, That gives you a list of all places (and FH distinguishes between addresses and places).

You may then click on an individual place, then "Records" if you want to verify that all records using that instance are indeed referring to the same place. Then you can either double click to edit that particular place, or "Replace with" to select another place to merge it into.
                              It does still work in V6 - I wonder why I couldn't make it work before!!! (I know why - I tried to go through the Places tab ....... shame it doesn't reduce the clicking from my way round though. :( )
                              Caroline

Comment

Elaine, have you switched to FH? I thought you were an FTM user!
                                I'm trying to be a FH user - very much a learner at the moment but hopefully will get there .. eventually.
                                Elaine

Comment

I'm trying to be a FH user - very much a learner at the moment but hopefully will get there .. eventually.
                                  I tore my hair out to begin with, but I'm very happy with FH now. And using Ancestral Sources to make the data entry easier. I feel much more in control with the way my sources are stored, as well as tying then to the record scans that I have.

Comment

Working...
                                  X