Ancestry or Fmp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry or Fmp

Hi, wondered what peoples experiences are with the two larger genealogy sites? my subscription with ancestry has lapsed for now. And I have just subscribed to FMP for a month, It doesn't seem as good, maybe it's because ancestry has the Manchester and Lancashire records which are good for my research as a lot of my family are from there. Probably will re subscribe to ancestry. But thought I would check.
    William

Horses for courses - many of us have both because it depends what you want out of the sites. Where they have the same records e.g. from familysearch or the census returns it is worth looking in both anyway. The past three weeks' new records on FMP have each given me something new or confirmed what I had thought.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I look at it this way, Ancestry for world wide records and FMP for British ones. As I have had a WW sub to Ancestry for many years I tend to stick with what I know, although there
      have been periods on A when their transcriptions have been poor, but I think they have improved in that area.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

findmypast has the Manchester Collection: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles...ter-collection

scuda
        Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I have both and find myself using FMP more often recently. They are certainly adding a lot of records. Although there is some overlap of records they tend to be mainly different so it really depends on where your ancestors came from. The different style of searching in each needs to be learned so you get the most out of each of them. Ancestry tends to throw everthing remotely (or even not!!) like what you are looking for. FMP gives exeactly what you ask for but that can easily restrict you if, for example you restricted the date or the surname spelling. Personally I would feel bereft without them both because I live far away from my roots so the cost of the subscriptions is tiny compared to travelling and staying overnight.
          Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 10-08-15, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by scuda View Post
            findmypast has the Manchester Collection: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles...ter-collection

scuda
            HI Scuda, just did a couple of searches from this collection that should have given results, eg my Dads baptism in Manchester in 1913 , which produced 0 results. Also my GG Grandfather born in Chorley in Lancashire 1826 gives 0 results and yet all are accessible on Ancestry. Maybe I am not used to using FMP and not using the site correctly.

William

Comment

William, I think you need to select each of the record sets (on the right of the link I gave) in turn, and find out what years/places they cover. I see the baptisms are 1857-1911, for example, which explains not finding one from 1913.

scuda
              Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                I look at it this way, Ancestry for world wide records and FMP for British ones. As I have had a WW sub to Ancestry for many years I tend to stick with what I know, although there
                have been periods on A when their transcriptions have been poor, but I think they have improved in that area.
                Not even sure about this one as I have Worldwide for both Ancestry and FMP, but then I am into USA for Ancestry and Ireland for FMP and FMP Irish on FMP are far far superior than Ancestry Irish. It is as Caroline says "horses for courses". Look carefully at both to see where your own individual needs are. I also prefer FMP for bog standard census etc and will use FMP over Ancestry for everything that I am able to but as has been pointed out people do get used to the different styles of searching, and tend to stick with the one that they have got used to.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 11-08-15, 10:41.

Comment

Working...
                X