No announcement yet.

Hudspith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Chrissie, durh, my brain isn't working properly today! I forgot about the scan option.

OC

Comment

im still a little confused as ive just found the two births for Joseph on Ancestry and they are both coming up with Mother Elizabeth and Father Robert. 17 May 1889 film number 1068611. so surely this is a duplicate entry?

I am going to order a marriage certificate for Edward & Isabella and also a death certificate for Isabella to see if she did die in childbirth. If this was the case maybe Josephs birth didn't get registered. Could this of happened?

Kirsty
      Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Kirsty

There is no indication on the official BMD indexes of who the parents are for the two Joseph births - what records are you looking at which give the parents as Robert Elizabeth?

Yes, it was possible not to register a birth but not really very likely. I'd want to eliminate the two Joseph registrations first!

OC

Comment

Kirsty,
          The reference you have quoted above (with film number) is for a transcription from a chapel baptism register, which gives date of birth, date of baptism and name of parents. The film number refers to the LDS (Mormon church) film source.
          If you look on the LDS church site (family search.org) you will see TWO entries for the SAME event, the BAPTISM of a child - the same information for the same child in each transcription. i.e that set of records shows the baptism for just ONE Joseph Hudspith born in Haltwhistle in 1889, and records both the birth date and the baptism date of the baby.

On the same site (familysearch.org) you will also see two BIRTH registration records, with slightly different reference numbers. Both births were registered in the same civil registration quarter (Apr/May/June) and in the same district (Haltwhistle.) However although the volume number for each is the same (10B) this is because all births in the Haltwhistle district had that volume number. But the page reference number for each event is different, suggesting that TWO babies named Joseph Hudspith had their births registered by the Haltwhistle registrar in that quarter. We're pretty sure that one of them was the child of Robert Hudspith and his wife Elizabeth, as recorded in the baptism register - you do NOT want the birth certificate for this child.
          Throughout the thread, we have suggested (although of course we cannot yet KNOW for certain) that the OTHER Joseph birth registration is very likely for the child of Edward and Isabella. We are suggesting that you contact the custodian of the Haltwhistle historic birth registrations and explain that there were two babies with the same name registered in that quarter; you know that one was the child of Robert & Elizabeth and do NOT want that record. You want the other one IF he was the child of Edward Hudspith and his wife Isabella.
          (I hope that makes sense to you - if not, I'm sure someone can explain it more clearly.)

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 11-08-15, 16:27.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

ok ill try contacting them thanks. Anybody know how I go about contacting them? ive tried googling it but ive had no luck. Thanks

Kirsty
            Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Try here, perhaps?

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

thanks ive just requested a copy of Josephs birth certificate with Edward & Isabella as parents. (fingers crossed)
                Ive also sent off for Isabella & Edwards marriage cert and also Isabellas death cert to see if she actually died in childbirth like we thought. Thank you all so much for your help, ill keep you posted as soon as I receive the certificates.

Kirsty
                Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

Hi just thought id let you know, I received the certificates today and I can confirm that Isabellas Father was John Heatherington a Farmer at Fell End. Also Isabella died 1889 2 days after giving birth causes 'Syncope' which was what we thought. I also contacted Northumberland Council and asked for a Birth with Edward & Isabella as parents and he was born 5th April 1889 he is named as Joseph. So we have no idea why he was married Ernest, could he maybe of been baptised Ernest and then chose to use that name later in life or did he change his name?? .........
                  Im so pleased we are on the right tracks now, so we now know that Isabella sister Jane 1847 was caring for him in 1891 as the census she was Jane Dotchin. Is there any way we can find out if someone changes there name?

Kirsty
                  Georgia Mae Simeone

Comment

You could (and still can) call yourself by whatever name you please, as long as it's not for fraudulent purposes. You did not need to legitimise a change of name, especially any change of forename.
                    My great aunt was registered and baptised Sarah Ann, after her mother. It took me some time to find her marriage as that was under the name May Sarah. When I eventually found out more about her, she was born in May and therefore referred to in the family as "May" to distinguish her from her mother. Her death was recorded as plain May, no Sarah.
                    As already posted upthread, there was no bp on familysearch for Joseph son of Edward & Isabella so at present, no means of knowing if/when the child was baptised or what name or names were used.

Pleased you have got the certificates as proof of what we THOUGHT - now you KNOW you are on the right track.

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-08-15, 15:05.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

A slight digression - I saw the Hudspith steam grammophone [sic] on Saturday and took a picture as I KNEW the name was familiar!!

This is more about it and if you want a copy of my picture , let me know.

DampfmaschinenJoe1967 inspired me to have a look on "The Oracle",ie the Internet with his remarks below:- dampfmaschinenjoe 1967 Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Kirsty

Glad the cert was the correct one!

Who registered the birth and on what date did they register it? I'm thinking that as his mother died in childbirth, no one would be concerned with what his name was going to be and it may just have been the first name that came into the informant's head. Ernest could have been added at baptism or maybe just very informally to distinguish him from his cousin of the same name and almost the same age. It really isn't significant I don't think and I agree with Jay, no formalities were needed. The fact that he died as Ernest Joseph seems to indicate to me that he definitely didn't want to use Joseph as his first name.

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X