No announcement yet.

Marriage Robert Hamilton to Lettice Jacob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't unknown for people to appear in two different places on census, but I agree that Robert and Martha are not your couple for reasons given upthread.

There is a marriage of a Robert Hamilton to Margaret Howie in 1881 on Scotland's People. Unfortunately that is a pay per view site and you need to buy credits to see the certificate.

OC

Comment

one of my relatives is on 3 different census records for the same night, her children all lived near by so she was probably visiting them.
      The census record says Margarets maiden name? I assume thats what it is ,which I thought was odd

I did find a Robert Hamilton a Farmer with a Son Robert last night about the right age but cannot find where I wrote it down ,did so many last night will have a rummage
      Last edited by Guest; 31-07-15, 11:46.

Comment

Capture.jpg

This is that marriage same man but his father is not a farmer

Comment

Scottish records very often list women in their maiden names, very useful!

Blacksmith could just be stretched to include farmer. I have a Scottish farmer in my tree with many sons, all of whom have a trade, so farmer and blacksmith are not exclusive of each other.

OC

Comment

are you David on Genesreunited ?? as he has her in his tree

Comment

Val, Yes I am on Genes Reunited but I haven't used it since about 2010 but Robert and Lettice would be on there. I didn't do any more on that site because someone contacted me and I gave permission to look at the tree but they took quite a bit of it without asking my permission. OC I will have a look at Scotland's People and look at paying for looking at that certificate. Thank you both for all your efforts.

Comment

I have purchased that image and magnified it. Both Robert Hamilton and his father John (deceased) were Block Printers and Robert was shown as a journeyman. The journeyman would figure because he was a colour dyer in the 1891 census, a soap boiler on his children's birth certificates and a machine wool comber on the 1901 census. I am not very sure about this one.

Comment

Robert

Val purchased the cert for you in her post 63 above. Click on it to enlarge it.

OC

Comment

Comment

Hi Val, I owe you, I didn't realise that you had purchased that record.However I have some credits up my sleeve now so if you need something similar only too pleased to help. Thanks anyway. Still waiting for a reply from Carmarthenshire registrars, I guess they have lots of enquiries.

Comment

I am surprised Carmarthen Register Office hasn't yet replied - they normally send an automatic reply immediately. Have you checked your Junk folder? Also, did you notice there is a fee for searching? (£15 per hour).

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          I am surprised Carmarthen Register Office hasn't yet replied - they normally send an automatic reply immediately. Have you checked your Junk folder? Also, did you notice there is a fee for searching? (£15 per hour).
                          In post #37, David refers to Llandilo RO. In post #39 onwards he refers to Carmarthenshire registrars. Is there a possibility of crossed wires?
                          Last edited by Uncle John; 02-08-15, 13:26.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The same thing would apply though - normally receipt of an email triggers an automatic reply which would be swiftly followed by a request for money!

OC

Comment

OC Thanks for that info, I went back onto their website and if they don't find anything within 2 years either side of the marriage year then if you need to widen the search it is indeed 15 pounds per hour. Nothing in my junk folder. Uncle John, thanks for your input. However when I went to the Llandeilo site it referred me to Carmarthenshire registrars. Most of the searches that,you can do yourself end up on the Find my Past site of which I have a yearly subscription. I appreciate your concern.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X