So confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So confused

Ok, so a few days ago I discovered I had Jewish ancestry on my mother's side (her dad) but what I read online about this specific family line confused me, because it said that the family started in England when a Spanish Jew came to England in the Early 1500's. He had a Hebrew surname and his surname was altered on the immigration record. Well another Jew told me I must be a liar because there are no records of Jews entering England during that period. I looked up my surname and it said it could be Jewish, then it said the surname was of Ashkenazi origin. Ashkenazi Jews came from Germany not Spain and this Jewish ancestor of mine came from Spain (a ''marrano''), so how does that work? This guy I was arguing with said I was making things up because he knows everything about Jews and said no Ashkenazi Jews or crypto-Jews would have entered England in those periods as they are banned from entering England. One of my cousins (who researches my family history) said that my family was originally from Germany and came to England in Elizabethan times.
    Last edited by DebraBloom; 02-06-15, 00:09.
Working...
X