Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrey North Eastern v Surrey North Western

I am about to take a chance and order two death certs for a married couple

they are living in Bermondsey in 1938 so assuming they were still in that area when they died

have found 2 likely deaths one in Surrey North Western in 1949 the other in Surrey North Eastern in 1951

Why would they be different is there a lot of space between the two?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-15, 19:40.

Neither district includes Bermondsey Val. It was in it's own district until 1965, when it became part of Southwark.

This is a good resource for finding out more.....http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/index.html
    Rick

Comment

This is an index to find which registration district a particular place can be found in for a known date range.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks you two, I know its them in 1938 was hoping they hadn't moved away from the area, and have been looking for their deaths for years have already had 2 wrong ones for her , shall have to look further, thanks again

Comment

Have you checked to make sure you can't find a will for either of them Val?
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Not yet Chrissie none of this lot left wills that I know of although they had plenty of money, but they were a devious lot.

Comment

Val, Bermondsey was quite badly bombed during the war. A lot of people from those areas were re-housed in Carshalton, Surrey (Rose Hill/St. Helier area) and Morden, Surrey (Morden Park Estate). Carshalton was social housing but Morden Park Estate was a new estate built for purchase with some social housing. They may of course have moved away altogether from London/Surrey area - I hope one of them DID make a will as this would give the answer.
              Last edited by Sue1; 09-05-15, 10:21.

Comment

Have you found them on the electoral rolls? Ancestry has London (which includes Bermondsey) to 1965 and Surrey to 1945. If they are still listed in Bermondsey later than the death entries then you can of course discount those death certs. If they were in Surrey by 1945 then that would give you more confidence that you have the right deaths.

Comment

is that right Sue thanks for that, will keep that in mind
                  Richard yes that's where I found them up till 1939 at 8 Steven Street Bermondsey I was hoping as they were quite old then they would not have moved away as in 1939 he was 78 she 68 will go through the rolls again, thanks again.

Comment

Would they have had family in either of the Surrey reg dists? (I am thinking of the possibility of both, or one of them, going to live with family in their latter years.)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

That I dont know as I have never been able to trace their two daughters either, the father isn't using his real name on the rolls but one of his alias's etc etc etc I am determined the find what happened to this lot if it kills me
                      Thanks for trying
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-05-15, 19:11.

Comment

I've now found the likely death of one of their daughters same area ? decisions decisions

Comment

I've just looked at my Birth Certificate. I was born in Wimbledon (then Surrey but now in Greater London) in 1949 and that is/was Surrey North Eastern.
                          My OH was born in Morden, Surrey in 1946 and his BC shows it in Surrey Mid Eastern.
                          A friend was born in Kingston, Surrey in 1945 and that was also in Surrey North Eastern.

Don't know whether that helps - probably not :D
                          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

thanks Sue have been trying to find them in the electoral roll later on but am only really going to know its them if they are together still ? one of them could have died by then.

Comment

Working...
                            X