Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it sound or look likely that my family has Jewish ancestry?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AlanC

You can have Jewish ancestors though, even if your family is no longer Jewish by religion.

OC

Comment

I'll just summarize:

My mother said my surname means flower. There's multiple families with the name Bloom but some are of Irish or English origin with different meanings.
      In a conversation about my surname I said 'sounds like it'd be hebrew or something, isn't it?' my mother said 'yes, actually there's people living in Germany with the surname Bloom, it's pronounced the same but it is spelled with a u instead of two o's.'
      I looked up my last name on houseofnames and one of the origins was ashkenazic from Germany. I messaged my mother asking her if she knew what ashkenazic meant since my internet was slow. She said she didn't know. I said the family may have ashkenazic roots or origins and she quickly replied; 'is it Jewish'. Now I can't trace my grandfather's roots, and I don't want to go through the trouble of DNA testing for something trivial as ethnicity but this got me curious so I'm wondering how likely it is. I always got confused when people asked if I was a Jew. I take after my mom and once a rabbi came up to me to ask if I was. He then spoke about my eyes and nose. They say that about my cousins and one of my uncles also. It isn't a local thing either since some people with the surname who I know came from the Jewish variant share that kind of look.

Comment

Build out your family tree. You could start with your grandparents and go from there. If they are no longer living, you could post their info here - we'll help.

Comment

I agree with Photofamily. Anything else is idle speculation.

OC

Comment

Working...
          X