Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Nedd

I need some new eyes to help me please.
    On the 1891 census I have George Nedd married to Dora living in Ipswich. It says Dora was born in Nassau New Province and George was born in Probus Cornwall. However Dora is the one born in Cornwall. Am I to assume George was born in Nassau and if so how do I find anything about him. I have never come across this before and would appreciate help
    Thank you
    Ann

There is a crew list from 1888 giving his birthplace as Ipswich.

His occupation in 1891 is able seaman
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

There is a George Nedd b. BWI father of Joseph Nedd who died in New York in 1942. It gives their ethnic state as black, so would this link into your man.
      There are Caribbean records available on familysearch.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

FMP has a death at sea in 1893, age and place of birth are blank, but abode is Ipswich.

Familysearch has Bahamas Civil Registration from 1850 and there are a couple of index entries for George Nedd/Ned, although details don't match your man. Worth pursuing though with a name that rare.
        Rick

Comment

There is a possible marriage George Alexander Nedd where one of the possible spouses is Dora Miners, Ipswich 1886.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
          Last edited by bubblebelle; 05-05-15, 12:32.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

So Dora Miners was a servant in Ipswich in 1881, her birthplace is again Probus Cornwall

I think I would just do a bit more checking around the marriage in Ipswich and look for him there too. Battery is running out on computer and cannot recharge at the moment, so will have to stop there.
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Hello Rick
              Does FMP give any details of how he died at sea or the ship
              Regards Ann

Comment

Hello Bubblebelle
                What you have found fits in for me, thank you. Still do not understand the Nassau bit when he is saying Ipswich on other things. Cannot find a birth for Ipswich
                Regards Ann

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                  There is a George Nedd b. BWI father of Joseph Nedd who died in New York in 1942. It gives their ethnic state as black, so would this link into your man.
                  There are Caribbean records available on familysearch.
                  Hello Ann,
                  I havent been able to find the 1891 census record on FMP to which you refer in post 1 (don't currently have an ancestry sub) to see if your George was a seaman, but following on from Bubblebelle's posts this may be of interest - There is a newspaper report from 1888 on FMP - short snip here but if you want the full report, PM me with your email and I can forward it to you.
                  VIOLENT ASSAULT ON CAPTAIN. At Seaham Harbour Police Court, last evening, George Nedd, a black man, was charged by Thomas Brown, master of the schooner Queen, of Woodbridge, with assaulting him.—The master said some words took place in the cabin at breakfast....

Christine
                  Last edited by Karamazov; 05-05-15, 13:39.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                    Hello Rick
                    Does FMP give any details of how he died at sea or the ship
                    Regards Ann
                    Hi Ann,

The image is quite blurred, but the ship was the Admiral and the entry says "supposed drowning 18.11.93". I think that getting the marriage certificate that BB found would be a good idea as you would find out his father's name and occupation (assuming he knew it). I don't think there are an images of Ipswich parish registers online, unless someone else knows differently.

I'd also agree that there's a good change George and Dora's places of birth are transposed on the 1891 census. The name Nedd does seem quite common in the Caribbean, so he may well have been born in Nassau. There's a site for the National Archives of the Bahamas which has some useful information.....http://www.bahamasnationalarchives.b...ly_History.htm
                    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                      Hello Ann,
                      I havent been able to find the 1891 census record on FMP to which you refer in post 1 (don't currently have an ancestry sub) to see if your George was a seaman, but following on from Bubblebelle's posts this may be of interest - There is a newspaper report from 1888 on FMP - short snip here but if you want the full report, PM me with your email and I can forward it to you.
                      VIOLENT ASSAULT ON CAPTAIN. At Seaham Harbour Police Court, last evening, George Nedd, a black man, was charged by Thomas Brown, master of the schooner Queen, of Woodbridge, with assaulting him.—The master said some words took place in the cabin at breakfast....

Christine
                      He was a boatswain according to the drowning at sea record and an Able Seaman on the 1891. His son, also George Alexander, seems to have a history of getting into trouble too - there are numerous criminal and military records !!
                      Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick I will look at the site
                        Regards Ann

Comment

Do I dare look at his son .........................

Comment

:-) Sorry.

10 major offences, 4 minor ones. Mainly housebreaking & theft. Discharged from the Tank Corps forfeiting all service due to his conduct. If you can't find him in 1911, he was sentenced to 3 years in 1910.
                            Rick

Comment

I was just about to post re George jnrs nefarious activities - there's quite a rap sheet! - but Rick has beaten me to it...
                              l've received your PM so just let me know if you want me to send you the criminal and army attestation records too. Off out now, but will send when I get back home...

Info on one of them pretty much confirms that his mother's maiden name was Miners as mentioned in an earlier post by BB - George Miners is one of his aliases.
                              Last edited by Karamazov; 05-05-15, 14:24.
                              Researching:
                              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Police Gazette 19/4/1922. As mentioned in above posts he seems to have had several aliases
                                Moggie

At Northampton ( Boro.), charged as George Alexander Redd, with cyclestealing.— Charles Graves, C. R. O. No. 698- 06, Case No. 146, Supplement A ( Vol. IV.), b. 1885, 5ft. 7fin., c fresh, h. brown, e. hazel, boil scar under jaw, mole 1. cheek. A stoker; native of Ipswich. Pre. con. of housebreaking, breaking and entering, larceny, warehousebreaking, and minor offences at IPSWICH, WOODBRIDGE ( George Alexander Nedd), WITHAM, PLYMPTON ( George Miners), COLCHESTER ( George Alexander Read), CHELMSFORD ( Henry Thomas Nedd) and NEWPORT ( MON.) ( Charles Graves). THE POLICE GAZETTE.

Comment

If you don't mind I would like anything you have. I cant find anything on Ancestry
                                  Regards
                                  Ann

Comment

Well he was certainly a busy man
                                    Regards
                                    Ann

Comment

Do you have/want info for the family going forward? If so, here's the widowed Dora and family in 1901. William C could have been a posthumous birth after the Nov 1893 death at sea of George senior, but what about youngest son, Walter C? What odds on the lodger as his real father? Although you'll more than likely never get to know for certain.....

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census

28, White Elm Street, Ipswich St Clement, Ipswich, Suffolk, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
                                      Dora Nedd Head Widow Female 38 1863 Laundress Probus, Cornwall, England
                                      George Alexr Nedd Son Single Male 16 1885 Grocer's Shop Porter Ipswich, Suffolk, England
                                      Henry T Nedd Son Single Male 13 1888 - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
                                      Ethel G Nedd Daughter Single Female 11 1890 - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
                                      William C Nedd Son Single Male 7 1894 - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
                                      Walter C Nedd Son Single Male 1 1900 - Ipswich, Suffolk, England
                                      Alexander Fuller Boarder Single Male 39 1862 Quay Labourer Combs, Suffolk, England
                                      Christine
                                      Last edited by Karamazov; 05-05-15, 15:23.
                                      Researching:

Comment

I am just coming back to this. So if the Joseph who died in the US in 1942 is the son of your George Nedd, did he have a woman in every port?
                                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                        X