Long lost mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long lost mother

My Uncle (who I only recently met) is 83 and not in the best of health. He never met his mother. He was brought up by his father, aunt and grandma...his mother left when he was just a baby and no one has any ideas why.....I would love to be able give any information I could about what happened to her.

I have her name, dob, father and mothers name, and I know who her 3 siblings were, all 100% I've been researching this for weeks...but atm my head is beginning to melt haha!

She was born on the 9th October 1913 in Coventry and her name was --Nancy Bell--

Her father was called Thomas Alexander Bell born in Newcastle upon Tyne 1888 (Married 1910 Newcastle Tyne) Boarding in Coventry on the 1911 Census (fibbed single haha!)

Her Mother was Elizabeth Luthwaite born in Newcastle Upon Tyne 1889, (married in 1910 Newcastle Tyne) Visitor with her family Morpeth Bedlington on the 1911 Census (Married 1 year)

Brother John Bell born Morpeth, Northumberland in 1910

Brother Norman Bell born Coventry Warwickshire in 1912

There is another brother but to late to be included here and the 100 year rule...

The last known address I have for her is 242 Armstrong Road, Benwell Newcastle, this was on her 1933 marriage certificate. Married a Thomas Brady

On the 1933-34 electoral register her family (Thomas,Elizabeth,John&Norman)were living at this address, but by 1935-36 they had left and someone else had moved in.

Nancys 1933 marriage to Thomas never lasted. even by a week by the looks of it, she is even listed as Bell on my uncles birth certifcate and not Brady..which I found unusual as the birth was registered months after they were married. Or this may be normal..I dont know..

Does anyone know how how I could proceed? Find out what year she died or if she remarried? Any help would be appreciated..

mb

You are right, it is odd - the birth was indexed in both names (Brady and Bell) which normally indicates the parents are not married to each other. A possible explanation is that she registered the child as if she were not married, so that she could take the child and leave without the father's permission, but perhaps he rumbled her and insisted the birth information was corrected. Where did you get the copy of the BC? (I mean, recently or is it the original?)

OC

Comment

Hi OC, thanks for the reply..

I ordered the BC from the GRO in January this year. Their address was even different on this certificate, he was, Father of 43 Cambridge Street, and she was 242 Armstrong Road.

Another thing to maybe help explain possibly why names were like this, I know Thomas Brady married a Annie Humble in 1930, and on his marriage to Nancy in 1933 his status is Bachelor no mention of Miss Humble. And then he married again in 1944 (D-Day)to a Mary Callaghan and his status on this certificate was (The divorced husband of Annie Humble formally conroy) I personally feel he never divorced anyone, I've searched and searched to no avail.

There always been rumours about how he went to jail for bigmany but thats a whole nother story lol

mb
      Last edited by Mbrady; 30-04-15, 19:45.

Comment

here are 4 Nancy Deaths born 9 Oct 1913 could be one of them

NAME: Nancy Burgess
        BIRTH: 9 Oct 1913
        DEATH: Mar 2004 - South Hams, Hampshire, England

NAME: Nancy Earnshaw
        DEATH: Mar 1989 - Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

NAME: Nancy McNeal
        DEATH: Aug 1996 - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England

NAME: Nancy Simpson
        DEATH: Mar 1996 - Derby, Derbyshire, England

Comment

Thanks Val, I have been thinking for weeks about ordering these certificates, she might be none of those, but its my best shot.

I wished that 1939 register on FMP would hurry up and come out....but they're saying could be years for that.

Comment

blast I posted an answer and its gone ??

Been looking for a marriage between her and one of those men ,she may not have married at all, also dont forget a lot of Birth dates are wrong on Death Certs? she may have lied about her age.

Comment

Yeah, and if she died before 1969 i think it is? there isnt any DOB on death certificates at all? Or yeah, she could have lied, or never married again....its so difficult. I'm just looking for ways to try and narrow it down before blowing more money on wrong certificates..but she could well be one of those people.. I think I would try the 1989 one first..

Comment

you could look on the will site if she left one may give you a clue , try those 4 first
                Last edited by Guest; 30-04-15, 21:15.

Comment

never thought of that..thanks Val, I'll give that a go

Comment

did she have a middle name ?

Comment

Well, that explains it then, if he was a bigamist! She obviously found out before she registered the birth. I should think that's why she left, too.

Val - I've checked those four Nancys, none of them was a Bell or a Brady at marriage as far as I can see.

Normally the GRO suppresses bigamous marriage certs so possibly he wasn't caught for that one. Also, normally when you tell the Registrar you are divorced, you have to show your Decree Absolute although I suppose he might have got away with that in wartime by saying he'd lost the papers.

OC

Comment

shame OC , not found a suitable Nancy Bell, or Nancy Brady ,but one of the above could be her as like a lot of women in my tree she could have taken a few years off her age.

Comment

Yeah thats what I think too OC...Annie showed up, or she found out some way and ditched him. I do have all three marriage certificates because I thought I would of been refused one perhaps? but I got them all no probs...but like you say they may have let him off in war times.. Or some have said they weren't that strict back then and you could tell them anything, its a puzzler.

No, no middle name Val...just Nancy Bell. Registered on the 14th November 1913, address 124 North Street Coventry

thanks for looking...

mb

Comment

I can't see that Val...is it just a name and a address?

Comment

Capture.jpgits the 1939 electoral roll for Yardly Coventry

Comment

Thank you for posting Val..

Is there just two people at that address?

What does Bw and Ow mean... I know Rw is Resident Woman?

Comment

you know, that could well be her Val...its only a few streets away from where she was born in North Street..whats the chances of that.. Coventry is huge. Maybe she moved back down there, where she spent her childhood and where better to go, than the places she knew..
                                  Last edited by Mbrady; 30-04-15, 23:19.

Comment

there is a link on here about the codes I'll see if I can find it ,and no she isnt the only one there

Comment

Working...
                                    X