Ancestry Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Records

I don't know if anyone has come across the records on Ancestry that say they are Index only, I have come across quite a few in my searches and emailed Ancestry about this.

They came back and told me the following:-

"Some of the records we have on our site have been changed to index only records. The reason is, we had contracts with the Archive Holders of the records, and when we attempted to renew that contract with them, they declined. Because of this, we can only show the indexing we have done of the record, and not the actual image. We are sorry for this inconvenience to our members, we hope to have it resolved soon".

I hope they do, it's annoying not being able to see the record, also for your information, it's affecting Find My Past as well, I tried to find the records on there and was told 'No Record Found' basically.

I'm not sure what records you mean as I'm not a member of Ancestry, but if you are talking about church records, it has puzzled me in the past that they are allowed to show them.

OC

Comment

Yes I have just recently began using Ancestry again and find it annoying that all you can see is the index that you can get for free on FreeBMD or Familysearch

Edna

Comment

OC, it's not just church records, it's all types, births, deaths, marriages, census on some occasions, as they say, Ancestry are having trouble with contracts, probably with renewing them, but hope to get it sorted soon. I hope they do as I have my family tree on their Family Tree Maker and need there records for this, although I do copy from other websites but it's not always easy.

Edna, perhaps all who use Ancestry should ask for a refund percentage of our subscription, seeing as we've paid for something that is not working as it should.

Pam

Comment

This is one of the reasons why I always make a local copy of any images that are relevant to my tree as soon as I find them. You never know how long these records will remain online - websites become defunct, subs expire, contracts end, rules change. Once the images are saved to your hard drive you have them forever (assuming you have a robust back-up strategy in place, of course!). I just checked the media folder of my main family tree on my hard drive and I have accumulated nearly 9,000 documents (7Gb) there. Most of these are linked to the relevant people and facts in my FTM file. They are always accessible to me even if I'm not connected to the internet, they open much faster than re-downloading if I need to re-look at them again, and I don't have to keep a current sub with various websites just to be able to look at my own research. Definitely recommended!

Comment

I had a similar experience with a ship's newspaper which was on Google Books (I think). I downloaded it at the time - just as well because clearly the copyright-holder had got it removed when I looked for it again a few months later.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

A good reason why it is so important to keep copies of all documents on a computer (or other place) within your own control and not rely on them always being available through an on-line system.

All County Archives are under tremendous financial pressure at the moment and are just waking up to the real value of the information they control. I suspect Ancestry, and other sites, are going to be asked to pay more for the rights to data in the future.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I do have the most important documents saved, but it's a nuisance that both Ancestry and Find My Past have the same problem, seems both can't get the contracts from the Archivers. I can't afford to buy documents just to see if they are definately the correct one's, so will now be limited to my searches and information until such time they can both get new contracts.

Comment

Working...
                X