Homestead Canada "received Patent"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homestead Canada "received Patent"

Hello, I have just had confirmed that my Grandfather received his Patent for the 160 acre Homestead he filed a claim on. (Manitoba) I understand that this means he now owned the land and what he had to do to be eligible. What I am trying to find out is how the process worked. Does anyone know if an inspector went out to see what he had done to the land and then dated a form which meant he had "received patent"? Doe anyone know if he had to go to an office to pick up the Patent and what the date attached to them means? I am struck by the fact that his Patent is dated 15th of August 1914 - just a few days after WW1 started. So I am trying to piece together what may have happened. Could he have walked to his nearest village to visit a land agent and pick up his Patent and found out on this trip that WW1 had started. Ideas and information would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Helen

Have you looked at http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/acc..._to_patent.pdf
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply and the link - I didn't know of this and it is interesting reading. I don't suppose you know how the Crown issued the Patent? "The Crown issued the patents once the administrative fees were paid and the settlement duties were completed." I am trying to establish a timeline of my grandfather's time in Canada, especially August 1914. I am wondering if it something he would have had to go and physically collect, or perhaps it was posted to him and he collected it from his nearest post office? Do you have people who emigrated to Canada from England as well? Thanks again in this quote for the site

Comment

No I'm sorry I don't know any more. I watched a movie last night about 'Free Grazing' in the US which is on the same topic. We seem to know very little about land use and acquisition in the Americas which is strange as it is a fascinating subject.

As far as I know most of the immigrants to Canada were from the British Isles plus a lot (mostly the earlier ones) from France.
        Last edited by webwiz; 07-11-14, 11:08.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
        X