King Family in Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Family in Suffolk

Hi can anyone give me some advice on my 4x great grandfather Stephen King born 1805/1808 West Row, Mildenhall Suffolk. I have all census records and death certificate and know who he married but the marriage entry only says his name and his wifes no mention of parents. All the records I have says born in West Row but despite looking through births/baptims etc cannot find any trace of him. Any suggestions to where to look next please? He married in 1832 locally. Any help would be great thankyou.

Welcome to The Forum.
    Ancestry.co.uk has a few options in Suffolk loosely within the time frame; trouble is there are 4 or 5 Stephen Kings to choose from.

Comment

There is a 'Plowman Family Tree' in Ancestry that has a Stephen King born 1809 West Row. Parents are Richard King & Mary Hayter.
      The wife of this Stephen is Mary Dorling. When looking at another Family Tree don't take anything as gospel, try and verify what information you wish to use.
      I've sent you a personal message.

Comment

Yes I found this one but nothing matches up only the name. Thanks.

Comment

I think you might have to travel to one of the Suffolk RO's - Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or Lowestoft. There isn't anyone on here now that does look ups there anymore unfortunately. Suffolk is badly covered by free sites.
          These are the records Family Search hold for Mildenhall. If you click on the individual record you will find the Film no you need for each one. You should be able to order and view these at your local LDS centre.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Kings in Suffolk

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
            I think you might have to travel to one of the Suffolk RO's - Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds or Lowestoft. There isn't anyone on here now that does look ups there anymore unfortunately. Suffolk is badly covered by free sites.
            These are the records Family Search hold for Mildenhall. If you click on the individual record you will find the Film no you need for each one. You should be able to order and view these at your local LDS centre.

https://familysearch.org/search/cata...Open=343415-50
            Thankyou I have been to the RO in Bury St.Edmunds and I'm going again to look at the Bishops Transcripts to see if I can find anything. I've looked through most of the records relating to Mildenhall and Parish but still not had any luck. My feeling is Stephen isn't his birth name but even when checking births around that date haven't found any that can't be found in the cencus etc they all match up to their names. I'm trying to look further away but it takes time. I don't understand why he would say throughout his life he was born in West Row if he wasn't but then I guess there could be a reason which I may never find out. Thankyou for your help I'll keep looking

Comment

Maybe he was born at West Row, but bp in a different parish. It was common for women to go to their mothers for their first confinement, and this may have been in a different place from the normal abode of the prospective parents. Another scenario is that the baby was taken to the parish of grandparents for baptism.
              Another possible explanation was that your man was born elsewhere but brought up at West Row - i.e. it was the place he'd always known as "home."

I think you may have to start with the registers of the village concerned, and then gradually move outwards in concentric circles, to examine all nearby parishes within your time frame. Keep a note of where you've searched (parish, event (bap, mar, burial) the date span and of ANY King events you come across. (Also record if you've found nothing, to save you wasting time replicating the search at a later date.)
              Recording all King events helps with eliminating people, but may also prove useful at a later stage, when you know more about the extended family.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Kings in Suffolk

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Maybe he was born at West Row, but bp in a different parish. It was common for women to go to their mothers for their first confinement, and this may have been in a different place from the normal abode of the prospective parents. Another scenario is that the baby was taken to the parish of grandparents for baptism.
                Another possible explanation was that your man was born elsewhere but brought up at West Row - i.e. it was the place he'd always known as "home."

I think you may have to start with the registers of the village concerned, and then gradually move outwards in concentric circles, to examine all nearby parishes within your time frame. Keep a note of where you've searched (parish, event (bap, mar, burial) the date span and of ANY King events you come across. (Also record if you've found nothing, to save you wasting time replicating the search at a later date.)
                Recording all King events helps with eliminating people, but may also prove useful at a later stage, when you know more about the extended family.

Jay
                Thankyou Janet I've been to the RO again today and looked at the Bishops transcripts. I agree with what you say, I'm going to have to start from scratch and widen the search parish by parish. It made a lot of sense what you said thankyou for taking the time to help, regards Teresa.

Comment

Hello, I am also looking into the King Family from Mildenhall, West Row, Beck Row and Kenny Hill. Stephen King was my Great Great Grandfather but I don't have any more than you, My records show him born in 1807 in West Row and married to Mary. His son Sam who kept the Bird in Hand at Beck Row was my Great Grandfather. Ray King

Comment

Hello Ray and welcome to FTF
                    I have sent Tre a Private Message to let him know that he has a reply, as he hasn't been on for some time and may not see it.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-01-16, 11:08.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hello Ray, Samuel was my Great Great Grandfather, his son Abraham is where I'm descended from. I have found all I need for my grandmothers mother, for Samuels wife Ruths side too, it's just the King side that is stopping me from completing which is what I set out to research in the beginning. I have Stephens census, marriage and death records but can find no trace of birth records. I've tried looking in different parishes too, non-conformist records but nothing. There is another King family in Chippenham/Freckenham and I can find records for their children but no Stephen is among them, so the only other possibility is he was born under another name, just chose to use the name Stephen. I'm not giving up yet because this feels so important to me mainly because of my nan and the stories she told, but maybe one day I'll find it. Where have you looked? How far have you got into the family tree? If I can be of any help please let me know, thankyou for getting in touch, regards Teresa.

Comment

Working...
                      X