Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish help please!

Not only is it Scottish, but it's also Smith! lol

I am trying to establish if this man's mother was called Jane Douglas.

In the Scots 1891 census there is David Beatson Smith aged 28 with his wife and child.
    David is said to have been born in Pittenweem, Fifeshire in 1863.

In the Scots 1881 census David is said to have been born in 1863 in Pittenween, Fifeshire and the census record shows him to be the son of the head, Thomas Smith. No mother.

I have no idea if the middle name really is Beatson, or some other spelling.

On my CD version of the 1881 Scottish census Thomas Smith is recorded as unmarried, but I'm hoping he was a widower, as David was listed as his son!

I can't find them in 1871 in Scotland or in England.

If his mother isn't Jane Douglas, then I want nothing more to do with him!! lol This is part of an elimination process

Merry

The Scots had an annoying habit of calling themselves unmarried when they were really widow or widower.

Welcome to the world of Scottish Ancestry mistranscriptions, by the way, pmsl. I'll off and have a quick look.

OC

Comment

Luckily, it's not my tree! lol

Comment

Is it possible to see if there's any sign of a marriage between a Thomas Smith and a Jane Douglas before about 1861, even if it turns out David is a read herring??

Comment

Hi Merry...

canny find a birth for him in Fife

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
            Hi Merry...

canny find a birth for him in Fife

:( Beamed up from space?? lol

Comment

No marriage coming up for Thomas Smith and Jane, on Scotlands People - well, not in Fife, anyway.

David's marriage cert would give the name of his mother.

OC

Comment

checked for a marriage between 1855 and 1861 canny see anything...also tried OPRs between 1850 and 1855..nothing sorry..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Thanks for looking!

Do you want to hear the next part? (or rather, the bit from before David??!)

Scottish 1881 census Mary Smith born England. She is 24 and a visitor.

In 1882 she married Donald Biggs and it is from the marriage cert (I've not seen it) that her parents are given as Thomas Smith, journeyman tailor and Jane Douglas.

I have not found her in 1891 or 1901 yet, but I understand it just says Englad for her place of birth on those too (they lived in Scotland).

I've been looking at various Thomas Smith tailors in 1861 and 1871 in England and Scotland looking for ones with daus called Mary b abt 1857ish. I've not found any yet!!

I looked at the David/Thomas scenario because Thomas was a tailor and he was born in England, so I imagined they were possibly the right family.

Can anyone think of anything else to help find out more about Mary? My contact says Mary died in 1913, but I don't know if she has the death cert - that would potentially have her mum on it too, wouldn't it??

Comment

1863;David Smith;Dairsie/Fife
                    1864;David Smith;Kingsbarns/Fife

Other David Smiths born this timeframe Fife have middle names Brodie, Forbes and Hay

One on the IGI...wrong mum

Beverley

Comment

If Jane Douglas was the Scottish connection look for her also as Jean, Jeannie, Janet (I've also has a Jessie pop up)

Beverley

Comment

Thanks for looking Bev.

David "Beatson" Smith probably married an Agnes around 1885/888ish. Is there any way of prodding his middle name from the indexes?

I have used SP before, but I don't know what I'm doing with it, so feel like I have one hand tied behind my back lol

Comment

have her death cert... father Thomas Smith (tailor)
                          mother Jane Douglas (deceased)
                          she died in Dennistoun Glasgow aged 54. date of death 16 Sept 1913
                          wife of Donald Biggs, plumber
                          Last edited by Raven; 16-06-08, 10:54.

Raven's Wiki Page
                          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                            If Jane Douglas was the Scottish connection look for her also as Jean, Jeannie, Janet (I've also has a Jessie pop up)
                            As I've looked for marriages of Thomas Smith to X Douglas in England/Wales, I'm guessing she is the Scottish connection and they married there, but no luck with finding anything.

I also tried doing a parent search for Scotland on the IGI, but that didn't throw up any Scottish children. (beginning to wonder if they were real people! lol)

Comment

Thank you Raven. Does that imply that Thomas Smith was alive, if there's only dec'd by Jane's name?

Is it suspicious that there doesn't seem to be a marriage anywhere, or are the scotttish ones only as complete as whatever?

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                No marriage coming up for Thomas Smith and Jane, on Scotlands People - well, not in Fife, anyway.

David's marriage cert would give the name of his mother.

OC
                                Maybe it was not a Church of Scotland marriage .... thankfully my branch didn't stay there forever .... using Scotlandspeople was ghastly and not something I want to repeat even though my brick wall remains intact

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post

Maybe it was not a Church of Scotland marriage ....

Hi Rachel, I'm sorry your wall didn't fall.

Erm.....what does that mean about Church of Scotland???

Comment

the OPR's are for the Established Church ie.. The Church of Scotland... non conformist birth marriages and deaths will be held in the National Archives of Scotland

sorry Merry have just noticed that Thomas is Deceased as well..lol... went and double checked...

Raven's Wiki Page
                                    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post

and Jain ....

One of mine is Jane, Jean or Jain ... I also have a Jessie (sibling of Jane) and read somewhere recently that this can be another variation of Janet

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Merry, for marriages before the start of Civil Registration, Scotland's People has the "OPR" entries, which are Church of Scotland marriages, but marriages of people of other denominations are not all included, and some of them have to be looked up at the Scottish National Archives. Also, there were irregular-type marriages where the couple basically just decided to be married and didn't have an actual ceremony, and not all those are recorded at all.
                                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                                        X