Scottish help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle John

I have the birth certs (+ one death) for 7 of the 10 children, but the first 3 are not even on Scotlandspeople's OPRs ...
    Is that usual, do you think ? is there anywhere else I might find these three ?

The first intrigues, because she has a second name (Stuart) and this does not occur anywhere else in the family and there's always been a question about her county of birth .... Lanark or Perth

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      Can anyone give me advice on what my contact could try next?

She has the marriage cert (1882) and Raven has kindly provided the death details (1913), both of which give the same parental details.

Any ideas??
      Any ideas at all???

Comment

Sorry to keep butting in Merry :o

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
        Wishaw House rings a bell for some reason
        Lord Belhaven (various ones, with surname Hamilton) owned it ... probably still do unless it's been demolished

Chopin wuz there in 1848 or 9 (briefly)

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

There's also a chance that the OPR's may have been damaged.

I've found various siblings in Kirriemuir and when I looked for another which was direct line on the LDS film there were some pages completely blank or just the odd word here or there and an occasional entry I could read.

Only a limited number of pages were affected and it was really annoying to see the next page to one I couldn't read absolutely perfect.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Was my suggestion no help? Of looking for wills / inventories etc that could be connected with their families, and looking at Scotsfind to see if there is anything useful on there?

For more specific suggestions, I'd need to read right through this thread again and understand it all, but that could be difficult with the kids about!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

sorry typed on pocketsurfer

okay, having read it all, my suggestions would be: look at the witnesses on mary smith's marriage cert; get thomas smith's death cert as that should give detailsof both his wives, and get that janet douglas will from pittenweem 1879.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite, I will suggest to contact those items, particularly Thomas' death record. (I didn't realise it would have "all" wives included!)

Comment

Merry do you want the images I have from Scotlands People??

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Now you know you are very naughty to be getting those for me, but as you have them, then yes please!!

I'll pm you in a few minutes, but I can smell burning, so i need to go to the kitchen first

Comment

Merry email has been sent..

I also found Thomas' Death.... seems he was married to a Mary Bowman or Brennan before his marriage to Christian Gunn/Sadler

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Working...
                      X