Scottish help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*picks straw up, wipes on skirt, hands back to Merry*

Someone who couldn't give the name of his real mother can hardly be expected to know exactly where he was born.

OC

Comment

Rachel,,

wonder if there might be something at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow... There is a Scottish site that has some of their moderators who do trips to the different principal places where records are kept...you might try them I suppose...

Scotlands Family Tree

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

My brains aren't very worth picking, Rachel :o I gather you've looked on Scotland's People? Wishaw House rings a bell for some reason ....Raven probably has a better idea.

Beverley

Comment

Can anyone give me advice on what my contact could try next?

She has the marriage cert (1882) and Raven has kindly provided the death details (1913), both of which give the same parental details.

Any ideas??

Comment

Ok to throw my tuppence in too.

Couldn't find OH grandparent's marriage in 1916 on Scotlandspeople though the date and place were on their first child's birth certificate.

Contacted GRO Scotland who then produced it for me. - so was registered but just hadn't made it to scotlandspeople.

I do have images that contradict known facts - grandson registering father's death put different name down as grandfather, everything else right occup etc.

Granddaughter registering grandmother's death put different maiden name down which really confused me. Then found grandmother was in 1891 and 1901 census as married to another (different name entirely) but no marriage found - well not to him but another name appeared on death certificate which I haven't found info on yet.

I've also got an Edward Smith who was widowed in 1861 with children John born England, Mary and Ann born Edinburgh not too common huh!!. Can't find Edward after 1871 census nor the children.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
              My brains aren't very worth picking, Rachel :o I gather you've looked on Scotland's People? Wishaw House rings a bell for some reason ....Raven probably has a better idea.

Thanks Beverly ... I did it to death before I realised that Wishaw House would not have been part of the established church :(

Good to know that it wasn't because I was getting the 'search' wrong :D

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                Rachel,,

wonder if there might be something at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow... There is a Scottish site that has some of their moderators who do trips to the different principal places where records are kept...you might try them I suppose...

Scotlands Family Tree

Thanks for that Raven ... I did try contacting the Mitchell Library at some point, but can't even remember if they replied ....

Will give it another go

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Can anyone give me advice on what my contact could try next?

She has the marriage cert (1882) and Raven has kindly provided the death details (1913), both of which give the same parental details.

Any ideas??
                  Any at all?

Comment

Sorry, Merry, what is the 1882 marriage? And what are the details from it? I know Raven found an 1885 one, though I don't understand why Scotland's People wouldn't come up with that one for me!
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just in case I don't get back on here for a little while, some general advice:

If the problem is that she is trying to trace a family back but is missing a marriage, I've managed to get back past a few of those by picking out likely people to be the parents of the couple whose marriage I can't find (if you look at the names of the couple's first few children, it may give a clue as to the grandparents' names) and look for wills, inventories etc on Scotland's People, then cross my fingers and pay up for copies and hope they mention the family!

Also have a look at Scotsfind to see if there's anything on there that might help:
                      ScotsFind Scottish Genealogy
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I see there is a return in SP Wills & Testamentsl for a Thomas Brown Jackson Smith, 08/09/1890; tailor, Ceres; d. 27/01/1890, intestate (Cupar Sheriff court).....any use?

Beverley

Comment

Janet Douglas;29/04/1879;Pittenweem;d.05/04/1879 at Pittenweem, testate (Cupar sheriff's Court)..11 pages of will can be viewed for 5 pounds
                          Last edited by Macbev; 16-06-08, 12:19.

Beverley

Comment

Sorry, I had to go away for a bit!

If the problem is that she is trying to trace a family back but is missing a marriage,
                            Right, the problem is that she cannot trace Mary Smith with her parents in 1861 and 1871 in either Scotland or England. Not helped by the fact Mary could have been born anywhere in England due to the fact she can only be found on Scottish censuses.

We know the supposed names of her parents, but cannot find a marriage for them in England or Scotland.

Sorry, Merry, what is the 1882 marriage?
                            The 1882 marriage is between Mary Smith and Donald Biggs and is where my contact first discovered the names of Mary's parents. (the year is what my contact told me.....I haven't looked for the marriage)

Comment

marriage for Donald Biggs and Mary Smith

Donald... age 28... batchelor... plumber.
                              father: John Biggs, butler(deceased)
                              Mother: Joanna Biggs nee Grant.. deceased.

Mary age 23 spinster, domestic Servant.
                              father Thomas Smith tailor..
                              mother Jane Smith deceased

date of Marriage 10 Feb 1882
                              place of marriage.. 90 Gloucester St, Glasgow..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

mother Jane Smith deceased
                                No nee Douglas mentioned?????????

Comment

*Tuts*

If my contact had the mmn from the 1913 death cert and this Jane had been dead so long no one could remember her name in 1882, then that bloomin' Thomas Smith with no wife in 1881 (father of David who I had at the start of this thread) begins to look more likely again :(

If only I could find that Thomas with David in 1871. :(:(

Comment

oops sorry Merry it was Douglas... was being hurried by my son..to give him a lift to work..

Raven's Wiki Page
                                    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

lolol!! I keep dropping my straws!

Thanks anyway, Raven, fo all you've looked up for me

Comment

no probs Merry...

Raven's Wiki Page
                                        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                          The marriage, which may throw light on the parents of my relatives could not be found by the NAS ... so the records are probably lost and gone forever, although they did add that maybe they could be found locally.

At that point I ran out of steam ... but how or where could I search 'locally' ? any ideas (I'm no where near Scotland).

According to the birth certs of 2 of the children, the marriage took place at Wishaw House, Lanarkshire
                                          I have something very similar. Parents married in the Church of Scotland in 1826 (I have the OPR image). They then had 10 children over the next 20 years, for which there is no OPR record nor anything at NAS for the only likely "dissenting" church in Airdrie. I'm certain the children would all have been baptised - they were a very religious family in which some of the children became or married ministers. Fortunately all the children appear in censuses from 1841 onwards and the survivors are mentioned in their father's will.
                                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                          X