Scottish help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raven View Post
    non conformist birth marriages and deaths will be held in the National Archives of Scotland
    :( if you're lucky ....

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

yep if you are lucky..lol

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        Thanks for looking Bev.

David "Beatson" Smith probably married an Agnes around 1885/888ish. Is there any way of prodding his middle name from the indexes?

I have used SP before, but I don't know what I'm doing with it, so feel like I have one hand tied behind my back lol

If you do a search for David B Smith marrying Agnes in that date range (with a tick for "return all forenames that begin with these characters"), then if it found a match and you click to view the match it would tell you his full middle name, but there are no matches 1883-1890. Nor for a David B Smith marrying anybody whose name began with an A, nor marrying anybody at all.

There are 7 David Smiths marrying an Agnes in that date range, so you could do that search and see if any of them has a middle name that looks similar.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooh, it's complicated, isn't it!! I'm not very good at learning new stuff.....I have been awake since 4am :(

That Thomas Smith the "unmarried" tailor in 1881........I keep coming back to him!

By 1891 he has a "new" wife, Christina, and a dau named Helen D Smith b abt 1882/3 in Edinburgh.

By 1901 Christina and Helen are still there, but Thomas has died.

I don't know where I'm going with this, because I'm not sure what can be discovered. Something in my bones says this is the right Thomas.

is there any way to do anything with the indexes for the marriage of Thomas' son, David? (married Agnes abt 1887/8) to establish anything on his mother, or does it mean a cert job or what??!

Comment

There is a marriage for a David B Smith marrying an Agnes Thomson in Edinburgh..

David's father is a Thomas Smith (tailor) mother is Christian Smith (mmn Gunn)

date of marriage 31 July 1885

Merry if you want any of these images let me know..

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Sorry Kite, we crossed.....am reading your post now!

Comment

There is a marriage for a David B Smith marrying an Agnes Thomson in Edinburgh..

David's father is a Thomas Smith (tailor) mother is Christian Smith (mmn Gunn)

date of marriage 31 July 1885
                Ok, so unless Thomas was married more than once, this eliminates him (*wonder's where Christina was in 1881?*).

I am just going to see if I can pick up when Thomas married Miss Gunn..........

(I hope no one is spending any money on this??? :()
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 16-06-08, 10:23.

Comment

Marriage for Thomas Smith(widower) and Christian Sadler nee Gunn (widow)

date of marriage 25 Dec 1882

Thomas occupation: Journeyman Tailor.
                  Father: James Smith - Butcher (deceased)
                  Mother: Jane Smith (nee Jamieson) deceased

Christian occupation: seemstress
                  Father: Daniel Gunn - Cooper (deceased)
                  Mother: Helen Gunn (nee Douglas) deceased.

Raven's Wiki Page
                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

So they married 20 years after the birth of their son??!!! lolol

Hmmmmm

Mother of Mrs Christina Smith - Helen Gunn nee Douglas.

OMG - I need a brandy or something! Could this be Thomas's second connection to the Douglas family??

Comment

Merry

I wouldn't put too much credence on Christian being his REAL mother! She may just have been his very nice stepmother.

OC

Comment

Have looked at all Smith/Douglas SR marriages between 1855-1863..none have Thomas or Jane etc as forenames

Beverley

Comment

Christina Gunn married Samuel Sadler. Cannongate, Edinburgh 1866.

Samuel Sadler died Leith North, Edinburgh 1867

Raven's Wiki Page
                          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Merry

I wouldn't put too much credence on Christian being his REAL mother! She may just have been his very nice stepmother.

OC
                            Indeed...my Walter Hooks had four wives, and it was the third wife whose name was passed on to the children of her stepson.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Merry

OC
                              Oh yes, silly me!!

I wonder if he was born David Douglas, illegitimate son of Jane Douglas who also had Mary in 1858 in England and never married Thomas Smith??!!!

Oooh, like this one:

DAVID DOUGLAS
                              Birth: 02 OCT 1863 Strathmiglo, Fife, Scotland
                              Parents:
                              Mother: JANE DOUGLAS
                              Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record

Where is Strathmiglo compared with Pittenweem, Fifeshire??

*clutches straws*

There's a nurse child in London in 1861 called Mary Jane Douglas aged 3! lol And a 15 year old Mary Jane Douglas b England on the Scottish 1871.

Comment

Of course I've ignored the missing middle name for David!

Comment

Oh gawd, Merry, don't go there...shades of my David Shaw/Mitchell/McKinlay. She wasnae married when she had David....registered as SHAW....an anotation a bit later that Mitchell was the father...then she married Mckinlay.

Was a nightmare sorting it out cos the birth reg disagreed with census 1881 which disagreed with census 1891

Beverley

Comment

*pokes fingers in ears*

Comment

they are about 30 miles apart, Merry.. Strathmilgo is near Cupar and Pittenween is near Anstruther..

Raven's Wiki Page
                                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

S'cuse my butting in .... I wonder if I could pick the brains of Raven, Beverly and OC while you're there ?

The marriage, which may throw light on the parents of my relatives could not be found by the NAS ... so the records are probably lost and gone forever, although they did add that maybe they could be found locally.

At that point I ran out of steam ... but how or where could I search 'locally' ? any ideas (I'm no where near Scotland).

According to the birth certs of 2 of the children, the marriage took place at Wishaw House, Lanarkshire

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

they are about 30 miles apart, Merry..
                                          I think I may have just dropped my clutched straw!! lol

Comment

Working...
                                          X