No announcement yet.

Certificate corrected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The original entry in the register would be annoted something like "see December 2007".

However, in the INDEXES, which is what we all use, there would be no difference, because the indexes have all been issued, and not until the indexes are updated would there be any mention against the original entry.

My local library has had the same microfiche indexes for 30 years, so any corrections etc in the last 30 years don't show up.

It is actually quite difficult to get an amendment to an entry these days - the Registrar General has to be involved.

My friend's father was registered at death with the wrong first names, because those wrong names were what appeared on the Certificate of cause of death. My friend was told that he would have to produce his father's birth cert AND two other legal documents, then apply to the Registrar General. He didn't bother in the end.

OC

Comment

On my grandfather's death certificate, everything is right except his place of birth. When I contacted the registry office they said I would have to buy another copy of his birth cert to give them. I would have thought they would have had direct access to the original information (or should have in my opinion). I didn't do anything about it - thought it was a cheek. Then I get my grandmother's marriage certificate - father's first names are wrong. Anyway, it just goes to show we can't necessarily trust what it says on the certificates.
      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Taffyfrog

It was even more complicated than that in the case above.

Friend's dad was born illegitimate and registered in his mother's name of course. But he ALWAYS used his father's surname although he never met him.

So his birth certificate and his death certificate look as if they are for two completely different people! It was all too complicated to document - they wanted employment records etc, army record and so on.

I can see WHY, from the Registrar's point of view but it was so frustrating. No one will ever find this man using the normal research path.

What makes it worse is that the surname he used was SMITH, lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
        X