X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    snippets are how people from threads i've found on the internet have done it. i dare say GRONI wouldn't like it, but i don't know if it's something they can block?
    Like you say I doubt that they can block it, however it is against their Ts and Cs so personally I think it is something which is unwise to promote!

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    snippets are how people from threads i've found on the internet have done it. i dare say GRONI wouldn't like it, but i don't know if it's something they can block?

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    apparently you can use 'snippet' available from windows 7 and later versions to save a copy of the cert. and also, if your computer has a 'print screen' button, you can press that, it takes a screen shot and you can crop down what you want.

other than that it seems the site is designed (like most sites about irish genealogy) to take money, and i certainly think it's wrong that you can't save images. if you don't get the information before it expires, or you lose the information at some point, you have no choice but to go back and view it again. it seems to me, that all sites concerning irish genealogy are desigend to be as expensive as possible, in the hopes (americans?) will spend money on their roots.

if scotlandspeople was the model, they could have designed it a little bit better. don't get me wrong, i think this is an excellent idea, but i don't like the way it was set up, and wonder if it will be tweaked at some point, like FMP is.
    Taking a snip tho' would be against the T&Cs of the site.
    Margaret

Leave a comment:

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    apparently you can use 'snippet' available from windows 7 and later versions to save a copy of the cert. and also, if your computer has a 'print screen' button, you can press that, it takes a screen shot and you can crop down what you want.
    Is that from the GRONI website - or is it a suggestion of how you can copy the image as opposed to download/save.

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied

other than that it seems the site is designed (like most sites about irish genealogy) to take money, and i certainly think it's wrong that you can't save images. if you don't get the information before it expires, or you lose the information at some point, you have no choice but to go back and view it again. it seems to me, that all sites concerning irish genealogy are desigend to be as expensive as possible, in the hopes (americans?) will spend money on their roots.

if scotlandspeople was the model, they could have designed it a little bit better. don't get me wrong, i think this is an excellent idea, but i don't like the way it was set up, and wonder if it will be tweaked at some point, like FMP is.

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
    According to the GRONI site, they are only saved for 72 hours. So be sure to extract all the information you need before they disappear.
    Thanks for pointing that out as I had assumed it would be the same as Scotlandspeople where they are kept for ever (as far as I can see).

Margaret

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    still not a cool move. if scotland can do it, and maintain copyright, ireland can do it too. sounds like a way to make money to me.
    Well I suppose you can't blame them in the present financial circumstances!

Margaret

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    I would imagine that it has something to do with copyright of the images.
    still not a cool move. if scotland can do it, and maintain copyright, ireland can do it too. sounds like a way to make money to me.

Leave a comment:

• Elwyn
    replied
    Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
    I have been back on the site and see that all my searches and finds have been saved for me on my account so I suppose I can refer back to that as and when I need to.

Margaret
    According to the GRONI site, they are only saved for 72 hours. So be sure to extract all the information you need before they disappear.

Leave a comment:

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    i wonder if screen shot is only prohibited if you use the mouse as your option? i have a button that i can press and it takes a screen shot.
    i also wonder if this was designed on purpose? because i think that's rather pathetic. .
    I would imagine that it has something to do with copyright of the images.

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    replied
    i wonder if screen shot is only prohibited if you use the mouse as your option? i have a button that i can press and it takes a screen shot.

i also wonder if this was designed on purpose? because i think that's rather pathetic. i mean scotland has prin outs and such, and an option to order a copy of the image.

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    I have been back on the site and see that all my searches and finds have been saved for me on my account so I suppose I can refer back to that as and when I need to.

Margaret

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    We do have a link to the GRONI main page on the Northern Ireland page - but as the online search is new, I've added a further link to that as well!
    Thanks Elaine.
    Margaret

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
    Hi Margaret,
    I'm hoping to try this out some time this week. Are you able to save/download the images or is it just a view and print option?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    There is no facility on the website to download or save, I tried a right click and got a message saying it was prohibited to print, save or take screen shots of the images on the site.

What you see is an image of the entry in the register and under it the transcript and reference details in case you want to buy a certificate - you can of course select that as an option anyway.

Good luck and happy finding!
    Margaret

PS -
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-04-14, 22:47.

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Thanks for adding this link - I had seen somewhere else that the images were on line but couldn't quickly see where and this lead me straight through to them.

I got the full details of the register images for my great grand parents' deaths which I had been holding off getting as I was not sure the references I had found previously were right - I have now got the information equivalent to a certificate for each of them for just £2 each!! much cheaper than a cert at £14.
    Hi Margaret,
    I'm hoping to try this out some time this week. Are you able to save/download the images or is it just a view and print option?
    Thanks,
    Christine

Leave a comment:

• Elaine ..Spain
    replied
    Perhaps one of the admins could add the link to the Reference page.
    Margaret
    We do have a link to the GRONI main page on the Northern Ireland page - but as the online search is new, I've added a further link to that as well!

Leave a comment:

• margaretmarch
    replied
    Thanks for adding this link - I had seen somewhere else that the images were on line but couldn't quickly see where and this lead me straight through to them.

I got the full details of the register images for my great grand parents' deaths which I had been holding off getting as I was not sure the references I had found previously were right - I have now got the information equivalent to a certificate for each of them for just £2 each!! much cheaper than a cert at £14.

Perhaps one of the admins could add the link to the Reference page.
    Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-04-14, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

• kylejustin
    started a topic GRONI online

GRONI online

can't see this on the forum, forgive me if it is:

Births 1864-1914
    Marriages 1845-1939
    Deaths 1864-1964

BMD records from the General Register Office of Northern Ireland are now available to search online. Information is at https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

A free search is available without registration which will return the number of matches in each registration type.

Before you conduct a regular search the records you need to register for an account and buy at least one credit. You use credits when you request enhanced or full searches of the records. A credit costs £0.40. The basic search returns limited information.

Searches can only be performed for up to five year date ranges.

Time periods available are:

birth records from 1864 and over 100 years old
    marriage records from 1845 and over 75 years old
    death records from 1864 (including World War II death records) and over 50 years old
    BMD records from the General Register Office of Northern Ireland are now available to search online. Information is at  https://geni.nidirec...

havn't used them myself, but hope too! this site explains some issues with the site though:

Working...
X