British Residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Residency

The 1911 census gives my Juan Reibaldi as age 36 so born C 1875,he was born in France & has french Nationality but is a British resident, I have no idea where in France he was born & without that info cant find his birth or his parents, would he have been granted British residency after applying for it,filling out forms etc & if so does anyone know where I could start looking for this information.
    jenn

If he applied for naturalisation (which he may or may not have done), the records should be at The National Archives at Kew.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Anthony, I tried the TNA but nothing comes up for any one with the name Reibaldi.
      Jenn

Comment

Try alternative spellings, but he may never have applied (most foreign born residents didn't). Other than that - you can try local newspapers for an obituary, and you should have his fathers name on his marriage certificate ?
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

He may have been born in France but the name isn't French. Have you tried googling around the name?

What is his occupation in 1911?

OC

Comment

Ancestry have him transcribed as Reebaldia in 1901 census. Looking at the image that is how it is written. He is an Ice Cream vendor in 1901.
            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Juan Reibaldi, Ice Cream Vendor, is in Leicester in 1911 with his wife, Florence, and 5 children, one of whom is named Celesta. A Gustavo Reibaldi married at Pancras in June 1867, 1B 263, and one of the two possible spouses was a Celestine de Heer. Juan married Florence Smith at Leicester in Sept 1901, 7A 591. Sight of Juan's marriage certificate should show his father's name and if it is Gustavo, sight of his should show his father.

merleyone

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                Ancestry have him transcribed as Reebaldia in 1901 census. Looking at the image that is how it is written. He is an Ice Cream vendor in 1901.
                Strikes me he is more likely to be Italian!!

Margaret

Comment

Here's a Juan Reibaldi marrying in 1901 to Florence Smith

Juan Reibaldi
                  Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1901
                  Registration district: Leicester
                  Inferred County: Leicestershire
                  Volume Number: 7a
                  Page Number: 591

Margaret

Comment

For research in France I use this site http://www.genealogie.com/

There is a record for a Emile Reibaldi born 12 May 1864 in Cervione, Corse (Corsica)!! May not be connected but may give an area to search.

The record shows this man to be a Sergeant Major in the 13th Regiment of the Infantry de Ligne and shows his pension as granted at 900 per year starting 9 Nov 1889.

I can let you have the image if you wish.

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 31-03-14, 13:57.

Comment

I wonder if his residency comes from the fact he married a British woman and they had children together.

Margaret

Comment

There are 2 trees on ancestry showing Juan but no parents.

Margaret

Comment

I don't think residency was conferred by marrying a British FEMALE - women took on their husband's status at marriage. It is quite possible that "British resident" was what he thought the enumerator might like to hear, lol.

Corsica was in French hands at some point, so that fits nicely. I also wonder if the surname was a corruption of Garibaldi originally?

OC

Comment

My husband is Italian and I've asked him about the name. Reibaldi is definitely an Italian surname and indeed my husband knows someone of this surname, however Juan is definitely not Italian but Spanish.

Here's a history of Corsica http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsica

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I don't think residency was conferred by marrying a British FEMALE - women took on their husband's status at marriage. It is quite possible that "British resident" was what he thought the enumerator might like to hear, lol.

Corsica was in French hands at some point, so that fits nicely. I also wonder if the surname was a corruption of Garibaldi originally?

OC
                              Thanks. Didn't know about residency qualifications.

I quite liked the Corsican connection as I could see then where the Italian sounding name might come from.

But I agree with Susan H - Juan sounds more Spanish than anything else.

Margaret

Comment

Portuguese would fit too.

OC

Comment

I have a Swedish Great Uncle who married an English person and who has down Sweden as his place of birth on the 1911 Census, but also down as a British Resident. He was working here for many years, travelling aboad quite a lot but never became a naturalised English person, so there would be nothing at TNA unless naturalised. My Great Aunt married to this Swede is down as English, not Swedish and she married in France!!

But you may find something on passports on FMP, though passports were not obligatory until 1916 and I have never found anything on there myself.

Janet
                                  Last edited by Janet; 31-03-14, 20:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Portuguese would fit too.

OC
                                    For what, OC?

Comment

Marriage to Florence is Register office, found a couple of baptisms

Baptism 08-Jun 1910 Reibaldi Antonio Born 19-Apr 1910 John Florence Smith
                                      Leicester LEI Grove Street Leicester, St. Patrick, Royal East Street Roman Catholic

Baptism 01-Feb 1917 Reibaldi John Born 09-Jan 1917
                                      (No mention of father)
                                      Florence Smith Leicester LEI Abbey Street Leicester, Holy Cross Priory Roman Catholic
                                      Last edited by Elaine; 31-03-14, 21:03.
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sorry, I meant the name Juan Reibaldi could be Portuguese, as there was a Portuguese connection with Corsica.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X