No announcement yet.

Unsure of research, bindings of watchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news, Currie. As I mentioned in post #18 there's a few Bindings' which probably relate to your ancestry in the British Library Newspaper database.

If you need more help, shout!

Comment

While I was waiting for my certs I went through some hints on my Clatworthy side which threw up some new relatives. One of which was the son of my third great aunt who married a Melhuish. The reason this surprised me is because I married a Melhuish and having looked at my oh's tree a while back I know they came from Newton St Cyres, which is the same place my Clatworthy's came from.
      I have to get back to my Bindings for the moment but I'm looking forward to checking that out at a later date to see if our two families could have a link in the past.
      I will no doubt be back before too long needing help again, I'm such a novice. I have seen community courses on genealogy, I might think about doing a course next time because reading a load of text just goes over my head.
      I will look into the newspapers, thank you.

Comment

Hi, sorry, having trouble already. I've searched ancestry and family search hoping to find a birth certificate for John Binding (Alfred's father). Ancestry has him born July 1817, Watchet. I have John's marriage certificate to Amy Webber Nov 27th 1842. He is shown as being of full age. His father is James Binding on the certificate and on ancestry they have his mother as Mary Strong. M cert says he's a labourer but I have a possible 1861 census which has a John Binding age 42 as a crew member (would fit with the family occupation), also has a Goen?? Strong age 16 (maybe relative of Mary Strong) as crew. Sorry to ask again but I've found nothing that fits with being born in Watchet and his dads name.
        With regard to having to ask for help, is there something I'm missing when searching. Family search has helped since I discovered that and I know to look for spelling variations. I hate having to ask as soon as I draw a blank.

Comment

Hi Currie, you won't find a birth cert for John as civil registration began in autumn 1837, if you're lucky there may be an online baptism.

Ancestry has him born July 1817, Watchet.
          Which record are you referring to?

on ancestry they have his mother as Mary Strong.
          Is this from someone's family tree?

1861 census which has a John Binding age 42
          Do you have a census reference

Comment

1863, crew on the Gannet. Master: Thomas Bale 43, Watchet; Mate: John Binden 45, Watchet; O.S. John Strong 29, Watchet.

On same boat, with same crew in 1868.
            Last edited by Guest; 21-02-14, 20:35.

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

A couple of baptisms Father Gowan Strong on Familysearch

Edna

Comment

Ah, I forgot about the civil registration. Sorry wasn't very clear. All the dates and mother name have come from linking with other member trees. Just thought actually, I don't think I've checked if end of them have any sources attached, will have a look after. I know the dads name from marriage cert. the census record is one I came across when searching records. I held on to it as a possible

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NTW9-8FM

A couple of baptisms Father Gowan Strong on Familysearch

Edna
                  Thank you

Comment

Sorry missed that reply earlier. His occupation on his marriage cert is sailor, forgot to mention that. Those are interesting, thank you. Father James is pretty much unsourced on ancestry trees, just checked. Back to it this evening
                    Last edited by currie1972; 22-02-14, 09:04.

Comment

Hi, wasn't sure if I should start a new post or just ask here but I would love some help on this please. I'm having trouble getting past Alfred and his parents and was hoping to tie up the post 1837 certs by getting his parents John and Amy's Death certs.
                      I have the following at the moment:
                      (alfred's Dad) John Binding Baptism 13 Jul 1817, St Decumans, watchet, James/Mary, Labourer (wsom.org.uk)
                      (John Binding parents) M: James Binding, Mary Strong, 26 Dec 1816 (wsom.org.uk)
                      (John's M) Amy Webber, John Binding, both full age, Sailor, watchet, brides dad Robert Labourer (from cert)
                      Amy Webber Baptism, 31 May 1822, Robert/Amy, Watchet, Labourer (there's also a record of a Sarah, same date, place and parents) (wsom.org.uk)
                      (however!!) Amy Webber, 31 Mar 1822, Robert/Mary (couldn't find a Sarah) (ancestry & Family search)
                      ?? Robert Webber, Amey Caddick, 14 Apr 1811 (wsom.org.uk). Cant find anything else that would fit as Amy's parents.

Poss Death: Emma Binding (she down as Amy Emma Webber on ancestry trees), Mar 1904, 77, williton, somerset, 5c 198. Not a date match for baptism.

I've also not been able to locate any census records for Amy Webber/Binding or for John Binding apart from 1861 where he is crew member of Gannet. I have his death as 16 Dec 1867, Buried St Decumans but don't have supporting evidence and I've forgotten where I got that info.

If anyone can offer any advise on how I should go forward or help in any way I would be most grateful, I've been banging my head on this for days now. Thank you for reading

Comment

Could this be John's burial: John Bindon, 10 Feb 1794, Notes: s. James/Mary (not sure what s stands for though but that's his parents names??). I'm going off for the night now, my head hurts

Comment

Originally posted by currie1972 View Post
                          Could this be John's burial: John Bindon, 10 Feb 1794, Notes: s. James/Mary (not sure what s stands for though but that's his parents names??). I'm going off for the night now, my head hurts
                          The s probably stands for son.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I was definitely tired there, 1794 was before John was born!!!!

Comment

Hello Currie,

Are you still looking for John Winkworth Binding and his family from Watchet? I think I may be able to help you out.

Cheers
                              Rhonda Jones
                              Australia

Comment

Rhonda if you click on currie1972 user name in blue then that will open a drop down box where you can send a private message to her which she will get if her e mail address is still current, I am sure she will be pleased to have help from you
                                Welcome to the Forum

Edna

Comment

I know this is an old thread but being an old boy of Watchet and a direct descendant of the Bindings have lots of information as well as a dedicated Facebook page for DNA Watchet and surrounding Villages.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

the original poster hasn't visited in a very long time, but useful for you to have posted on here, someone might find it
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1706 View Post
                                      I know this is an old thread but being an old boy of Watchet and a direct descendant of the Bindings have lots of information as well as a dedicated Facebook page for DNA Watchet and surrounding Villages.
                                      Hello Alex1706 currie1972 hasn't been onsite for a while but I'll pm her and hopefully she'll see this message as well.
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I've sent a PM as well. I'm part of a research group for the Watchet Bindings and over 20 years of dedicated work (mostly by others based in Athens and Alberta Canada) as well as using varying forms of DNA; so she may already be known to us. I was drawn to this page by another descendant in Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1706 View Post
                                          I've sent a PM as well. I'm part of a research group for the Watchet Bindings and over 20 years of dedicated work (mostly by others based in Athens and Alberta Canada) as well as using varying forms of DNA; so she may already be known to us. I was drawn to this page by another descendant in Vancouver.
                                          That's good then Alex1706 double bubble hopefully it'll benefit you both.
                                          Julie
                                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                          X