X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World War One Centenary and FTF

'The day the lights went out in Europe'

World War One Centenary

Events, research projects and commemorative ceremonies will be taking place during the four years of 2014 to 2018, marking the 100th anniversary of the First World War and many of them have dedicated websites. We have collected together many links to start our own pages about the centenary, but do let us know about any others as they come online during the next four years.

Please leave suggested links in the Comments boxes at the bottom of the World War One Centenary page for us to add them. If links are posted elsewhere in the forum they may not be added. N.B. Unless a site is difficult to navigate, we only add the home page of any sites with collections of links so we may already have the link you want to tell us about.

To contribute towards the commemoration of the Great War Centenary, Family Tree Forum has created a Roll of Honour to remember those who died during WW1 whilst serving their countries.

Should members wish to add names of family members, please post the details in the comments box at the bottom of the Roll of Honour page.

As an international forum, we welcome contributions from and about every nation.

We will be adding more sections to the Centenary pages later. Currently, the pages can be seen at the bottom of our Military and Maritime section.

Slightly different from the general links already posted, but this might be of interest to some!

A family history project to commemorate in fabric and thread those who served with the Commonwealth forces during WW1 and did not return home.
    Elaine

Comment

Couldn't quite work out where to put this but here seemed like a good idea.

Is anyone else having problems understanding the new WWI website (Imperial War Museum may be possibly behind it) - I can't for the life of me manage to upload anything although I have identified the chap I want to contribute to on there.
      Spent a week on and off trying and failed and today they want £50 for the year to upload stuff (except BMDs) - all this stuff is on my Tree but I cannot upload it from Tree - I have to go in via a website they are using which I think I recognise although no identifying name is visible. I am not actually going to attempt anything further on there but it is an awful shame if the website is difficult to use (it could of course be me!)

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post

Is anyone else having problems understanding the new WWI website (Imperial War Museum may be possibly behind it)
        Sue - could you give a link the the website you are referring to please.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Sue - could you give a link the the website you are referring to please.
          Link is: http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org

Sue

Comment

I have also input details of 2 Gt Uncles (brothers) who perished in WW1 to the site Sue refers to.
            Like her, I have found it difficult to navigate to the correct area to input the relevant info.
            I shall probably leave it for a few weeks or so until they iron out any problems.
            I actually was invited on to the site to help them solve problems whilst they were in beta mode so to speak.

Comment

Oops, I've just added this site to the list of links in the Centenary page, I hadn't realized it was already there :o
              Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I still haven't worked out how to add birth, death, marriage etc ...................what I have been doing is adding "Personal Knowledge" and an image of any document proving the details I have added. That is the best I can do I'm afraid.
                Bit of a shame really because many people I am sure would like to add to this website but will be put off by the navigating difficulties.

They "went live" today according to an E-mail I received - I thought they were already "live". However, it has made no difference to my difficulties on the site.

Sue

Comment

I managed this for mine Sue, I have yet to trace his brother though

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                    Oops, I've just added this site to the list of links in the Centenary page, I hadn't realized it was already there :o
                    Don't worry Sarah. Not a problem!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                      https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/4410957

I managed this for mine Sue, I have yet to trace his brother though
                      I know, it IS difficult isn't it! I found uploading photos quite easy and if you can do that, scroll down the page and you make the photo come out in the little square box that is empty. In fact, everything you add comes out right at the bottom of the page. Wonder why they made the website so difficult. One thing that is good is that you can add a photo/picture directly from your computer (saved images that is).

Good Luck, Sue

Comment

Once you get the hang of it, it will become easier with time.

Have fun, Sarah.

Comment

Sue, they were beta testing it before today and only a limited number of people had access to input details. Have you received any emails from them about being a 'friend' free for 3 months as a thank you?

I just had a look and as a result I now have access to some records that I didn't before.

I agree its confusing - at first I thought that I would have to pay to add stuff and then to view what I've added. I think that you only have to pay to access their 'premium records'. I'm still not sure whether I'll be able to view any premium records I've added once my sub finishes

These links may help

Jackie

Comment

I'm currently speaking to them on FB about the missing sibling

Comment

Yes, they did Beta test until I got the notification that it was "live" today! I also understood that access to some records i.e. BMDs, I thought, would be free (a kind of loyalty thing for joining early while they were testing I think I read) but they are not - you either buy credits or have a membership (membership to what quite I don't know!) As I mentioned before, a lot of us already have paid for the information for our own Trees and I am certainly not going to pay again but cannot upload BMDs from my Tree to their website in the way they would like i.e. via a paying website. I do not want to start a membership with ancestry yet as I am I the long process of transferring one Tree to another........that, however, is my own problem BUT they either want the information on their website or they don't although I do understand they want "proof" for the information added. I am adding it under "upload an image" where I can add birth and marriage (but not death certificate in this case - it is well documented what happened to him) but although I have found two brothers of W.G. Foster on there, both of whom died in WWI, I am afraid I am not going to do any more - I have just clicked on the "remember" button of his brothers and left it at that ...................quite sad really.

The thing that annoys me in particular is that just over a year ago, because his service records were lost (burnt I imagine) and his Home Guard records were also lost and not with MOD and he was quite well known, I decided to put, with a lot of hard research, his record together again - I got the War Diaries of the Royal Fusiliers, I scoured the London Gazette etc and many more places and finally completed it - I offered a copy to the Imperial War Museum because I knew that in the past they had been looking for his record and the family had been approached for photos etc. (Also I was approached for a picture of him in Home Guard Uniform (the MOD) because they wanted to put it on the wall of the new Landforces HQ in ?Basingstoke to represent the HG - they were using a photograph from each of the land based services.) The Imperial War Museum grabbed my history of his war with both hands by the way...................I sort of feel I am wasting my time banging my head against a wall with the website they have now set up.

Sue

Comment

So I had another look at Joseph and I've realized something, they've got him down in 2 Regiments:

• Service: British Army
                                • Corps/Regiment: Durham Light Infantry
                                • Service No.: 16867

• Service: British Army
                                • Corps/Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment
                                • Service No.: 26688

Surely it's got to be a mistake though? The small amount of online work I've found shows the DLI one only and the grave that was sent to me also has the DLI logo on it.

Or is this a different Joe?

Comment

With a different regiment and a different regimental number, then I would think these refer to two different people.
                                  Probably worth checking both entries on the CWGC site.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Used your suggestion and there's only 1 J Thomas DLI Casualty that has the matching Grave number to the one I was given. There's 1 for Lincolnshire but he's not a Private and he has an extra name.

Comment

My chap, W. G. Foster 12391 is on 3 times in his own name - once as a QM, once as something else and once as Walter Gordon Foster - all the same regimental number [Walter Gordon is NOT his name - he was William G] but this error is known about and the medals on there designated to him were all issued in the correct name and regimental no.
                                      To make it even better, there are two other people with the same regimental number (that now makes 5) - they do not have the same name - 2 of the five are in different regiments!! I thought perhaps the numbers were Regiment specific and the same numbers could occur in other Regiments - the first three are correctly Royal Fusiliers and give him at different ranks. However, when I visited TNA years ago and went through the MICs there was only one for him - the one that gave his name incorrectly as Capt Walter Gordon Foster!!! I have only just found the last one on the site and have, therefore, added what I am able to, to one of the previous W.G. Foster ones ...............I am incredibly confused. I understand there is a blue question mark that you can use to link duplications together - it just directed me to send them a message - I have.

Sue - getting more confused by the minute!

Comment

Such a nightmare Sue, personally I think that they should have spent at least a year or 2 setting up the site with the correct details before having the trial and final version of the site like we would have done in a Web Authoring assignment in college.

Comment

Working...
                                        X