World War One Centenary and FTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
    Used your suggestion and there's only 1 J Thomas DLI Casualty that has the matching Grave number to the one I was given. There's 1 for Lincolnshire but he's not a Private and he has an extra name.
    Sarah - sorry, it does appear to be to be the same person! I was thinking with different regiments and different reg.nos., that they were probably two different people!

If you check the medal card on Ancestry you will see that Joseph Thomas was initially in the Durham Light Infantry, regimental no. 16867 - and then in the Lincolnshire Regiment, regimental no. 26688

Elaine

Comment

I have an example of one with 4 different corps and 4 different numbers:

[Percy D Manning in case the link won't work!!]
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Men being moved between regiments to fill gaps, especially after heavy casualties, was something that regularly happened. I have just been looking at one man who was one of 370 men who went from the Lincolnshire to the Kings Own Royal Lancasters in October 1916. In such cases, men were issued with a new number, which should be reflected on their service record/medal roll index card.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I E-mailed them about the 5 people, 2 with completely different names and different regiments, and the answer received was that it is possible for more than one person to have he same number, even in the same Regiment - that is a new one on me!

I think it is possible that a number was changed if you changed Regiment but I have no idea when that stopped - certainly, in this day and age (which, admittedly, is 100 years later) you enter the army with a number and it doesn't matter where you go, your number will remain the same. I was also told these numbers were only designated in 1920 for pension purposes - my chap had his card from 1914, so that cannot be true and as far as I am aware he left the army in 1920 and did not have a pension. Don't know how he got the number in 1914 if they only started in 1920 ..................is someone trying to fob me off I wonder! I agree with you that this website needed more thought and testing before it went "live" but in fact it was beta until only a few days ago.

Sue
          Last edited by Sue1; 13-05-14, 17:01. Reason: typo

Comment

Both my Tompkins brothers who joined up with Percy stayed in the Essex Yeomanry, but both had two numbers as did the fourth in their group, Harry Eve. None of them stayed in after the war.
            Caroline
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

It seems to me such a shame that this WWI Website has been, or appears to have been, put together with not enough care (and I am not blaming any one organisation). It would, of course, have been better if it had been started years ago not suddenly thought of at the brink of the centenary BUT a) better late than never and b) couldn't have started it successfully much earlier because older people in particular, who are most likely to have memories of relatives (or stories) who took part in WWI were not computerised and research websites were not as well developed.

I do hope (and I obviously won't be around to see it) that the organisation of the centenary for WW2 is organised well in advance and "ready to go" at the time it should be. I suspect the Webmasters who took this WWI project on may be suffering a few regrets at the moment - I am sure it will sort itself out in the fullness of time but I do hope the lessons learned will be carried on for any WW2 commemoration.

Sue

Comment

I reckon they've done what they intended - basically uploaded the people with medal cards which means that even if nobody adds to their page at least they are there. Must have been a massive transcription effort for them. Then there are four years to carry on uploading other sets and adding people who have fallen through the cracks.
                Caroline

Comment

Just found this site and hope it might be of use to someone.

Lists the people who died in WW1 and commemorated on a Nottingham War Memorial either in a church, work place or club.

Found 4 of mine and only knew about where one was commemorated before.

Good Luck
                  Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Unfortunately men had different numbers at different times whilst serving. Originally regiments gave their men individual numbers but it was then discovered during WW1 that there were several men with the same number which made indentity difficult and caused logistical problems. Eventually in 1920 a number was given to each soldier which was to be his own unique number wherever he went either a different regiment or postings etc. There is interesting information here. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/?s=soldiers+renumbering
                    and here http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/?s=soldier+numbers

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                      So I had another look at Joseph and I've realized something, they've got him down in 2 Regiments:

• Service: British Army
                      • Corps/Regiment: Durham Light Infantry
                      • Service No.: 16867

• Service: British Army
                      • Corps/Regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment
                      • Service No.: 26688

Surely it's got to be a mistake though? The small amount of online work I've found shows the DLI one only and the grave that was sent to me also has the DLI logo on it.

Or is this a different Joe?
                      I've checked Joseph Thomas on Forces War Records and can confirm that he is one and the same and did serve in both regiments under those service numbers.

Durham Light Infantry, 14th (Service) Battalion (Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from the 29th December 1915).

Comment

Durham Light Infantry, 14th (Service) Battalion

Formed at Newcastle in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 64th Brigade in 21st Division. Moved to Halton Park, going on to billets in Maidenhead in December 1914 and then back to Halton Park in April 1915. Finally moved to Witley in July.
                        11 September 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

Comment

Joseph Thomas (34), born Durham
                          Private 26688, Lincolnshire Regiment, 2nd (Garrison) Battalion
                          Attested 14/09/1914, Shiney Row, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear
                          Discharged 23/10/1917 (disability attributed to gas poisoning at Ypres, France on 19/12/1915)
                          Address on discharge: 14 Gertrude Street, Grasswell, Houghton

Wife - Isabella Sherwood, married 1903 at ??? Church

Children -
                          Henry b.20/06/1904 (Hetton)
                          Barbara b.01/06/1906 (Shotton)
                          Robert b.05/08/1911 (Houghton)
                          Norman b.??/09/1913 (Houghton)

Enlisted 15/09/1914 into Durham Light Infantry at Sunderland

Private 26688 Lincolnshire Regiment - Transferred to class "W" army reserve on 27/07/1916

Comment

Originally posted by HTSCF Fareham View Post
                            Joseph Thomas (34), born Durham
                            Private 26688, Lincolnshire Regiment, 2nd (Garrison) Battalion
                            Attested 14/09/1914, Shiney Row, Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear
                            Discharged 23/10/1917 (disability attributed to gas poisoning at Ypres, France on 19/12/1915)
                            Address on discharge: 14 Gertrude Street, Grasswell, Houghton

Wife - Isabella Sherwood, married 1903 at ??? Church

Children -
                            Henry b.20/06/1904 (Hetton)
                            Barbara b.01/06/1906 (Shotton)
                            Robert b.05/08/1911 (Houghton)
                            Norman b.??/09/1913 (Houghton)

Enlisted 15/09/1914 into Durham Light Infantry at Sunderland

Private 26688 Lincolnshire Regiment - Transferred to class "W" army reserve on 27/07/1916
                            Sorry, should check my onw typing before posting. Ypres in France? I think not! Try Belgium! :o

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                              I still haven't worked out how to add birth, death, marriage etc ...................what I have been doing is adding "Personal Knowledge" and an image of any document proving the details I have added. That is the best I can do I'm afraid.
                              Bit of a shame really because many people I am sure would like to add to this website but will be put off by the navigating difficulties.

They "went live" today according to an E-mail I received - I thought they were already "live". However, it has made no difference to my difficulties on the site.

Sue
                              silly me I just atrarted a new thread about this site. Only found it today. Seemed like a good idea to jpin but I cant seem to add births deaths and marriage dates. They just seem to want to upload copies of certificates

Comment

Working...
                              X