No announcement yet.

New Australian immigration records online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh my, thank you, Mary! My Skillings showed up straight away.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      You can actually search the records without a subscription to see if one of your names is mentioned; you just can't view the full record.

This is the only one I can see, but it doesn't help you much:

Name / Estimated Birth Year / Port of Arrival / Voyage Arrival Date / Vessel Name

Mr. Blewitt / - / Port Jackson, New South Wales / 26 Dec 1841 / Lady Leigh

Port of departure: Port Richolson (no idea if that's mistranscribed, because there are no images)

Have you looked at the immigration indexes here?

State Records NSW - Indexes to Assisted Immigrants
      Oh, my God! That's my ancestor Thomas Bluett fleeing Port Nicholson (the old name for Wellington) because he had got into debt! I knew he left there about that time. Is there any more informatrion? His wife? his children? Did they go straight to Sydney?
      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

That's all the information there is in the Ancestry database.

They will have got their information from the NSW records. This site tells you what they hold:

State Records NSW - Archives in Brief 1

They have some online indexes; if you find a person on the index you can sometimes click to order a copy of the complete page of the passenger list. Not sure if you can order lists that aren't online yet.

Is this one of yours?

Index to the Unassisted Arrivals NSW 1842-1855

Names / Age / Ship / Status / Date of Arrival / From Port / Reference/Reel / Remarks

BLUETT Mr / - / Tasmania / P / 12/5/1853 / New Plymouth, NZ / SMH / Jariniki NZ, Blewitt in SR list

State Records NSW - Online search

There's also a Blewitt arriving from Melbourne 2 years later.

I've just had a quick look in the NSW BMD records, and there are loads of Bluetts:

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index Search
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-06-08, 21:31.

Comment

Pity he arrived too late for the 1841 census (the only surviving one). I did find an entry for a Charles Blewitt, though:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-06-08, 21:30.

Comment

Here's another possible for you:

Name / Estimated Birth Year / Port of Arrival / Voyage Arrival Date / Vessel Name

Mr. Blewitt / - / Sydney, New South Wales / 7 Mar 1888 / Wakatipu

Port of departure: New Plymouth, NZ

Comment

Mary, could I trouble you for a little more help please (I am so excited about what you found!)

In the New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922 I searched for Blewett in Australia from 1841-1846. Four entries came up for Thomas Blewett - could you please tell me what they say?

Thomas arrived in Wellington in April 1841, then went to Sydney at the end of the year (I now know it was 26th December from the information you gave me). He stayed until July 1843 when he crossed over to Hobart, Tasmania. He stayed there until the end of 1844, though he did make at least one trip back to Sydney in that time. He next turns up in Hong Kong and then Calcutta before returning home to London by the end of 1845.

As far as I know, his father William or Adam remained in Wellington.
              Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 05-06-08, 22:14.
              Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Could someone do a lookup for me please? (I can do a separate thread if paul would rather?!!)

I've seen these:

5 New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922
                2 New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896

for the surname Horniman.

Would it be possible for someone to look up the seven entries and give me just the years and Christian names, to begin with?

Comment

I'll have a look and PM you, Merry.

Comment

Oooh, thank you Mary! x

Comment

Paul, I'll PM you.

Comment

There are links to more Australian passenger list sites in the Wiki if anyone needs them:

Emigration and Immigration - Family Tree Forum

Comment

I don't mind looking up for anybody as well.

Mary.....not sure when you sleep LOL.

Comment

Rarely

OK, it's your turn now.

Comment

No problem........Mary, I have no idea of the time difference where you are.

It is 8.34am here.

Comment

It's 11.45 p.m. in the UK and 0.45 a.m. in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  It's 11.45 p.m. in the UK and 0.45 a.m. in Italy.

GO TO BED!!!!!!!!

Comment

I will, I will (I just have to finish translating this pharmaceutical patent...)

Comment

Thank you so much, Mary! I have had such fun with the NSW site and similar. Even my Edwards were showing up. One was involved in Beche de Mer - which I don't understand properly, but may mean he was a pearl fisher. Using good old Google to help me I could identify various ships he was on as master or passenger, sometimes simply from the names of others on board. This site was down, but I went to bed VERY late.
                                      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I'd never heard of beche-de-mer before, but it's not pearl fishing - they're sea cucumbers apparently:

There are a lot of NSW passenger lists here, which distinguish between passengers and crew:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 06-06-08, 08:44.

Comment

That second site is a good one: the entries I've looked at not only have transcriptions, which show up by googling, but also a scan of the original document.

Comment

Working...
                                          X