I am puzzled by this certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am puzzled by this certificate

It is the marriage certificate of the couple who may have been my grandparents

I guess I am clutching at straws - looking for any clues! - but what puzzles me is that the whole of the certificate seems to have been written out in one hand, apart from the signatures of the witnesses, which are quite distinctively different - maybe the deputy superintendent registrar who wrote out the certificate just wanted to make it look authentic?
    Joan died in July 2020.

lol!! Where did you get the cert from? The GRO or the local registerer office?

Comment

You can normally tell when you have a scanned original rather than one that's been copied out. I think the normal practice is for the vicar to write the whole thing out in advance and then collect the signatures at the end of the wedding service. They have to use indelible ink which clogs up a fountain pen unless you clean it out straight away. So i think you may have genuine signatures. Frank and Beatrice do their small b's differently.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

From the local Register Office, Merry (and they were married by Superintendant Registrar's Certificate)
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Looks like a photocopy of an original cert to me. The signatures are all different.

OC

Comment

In that case all the sigs should be the original ones (as that definitely doesn't look like modern-day handwriting)

Comment

You lucky thing. The only ones I've had from local offices have been written out by the present-day registrar. I hope the info. gets you forward a little.

Comment

That makes sense, OC and Merry - thanks - think I was looking for clues where none exist! LOL

Interesting that they didn't make enough room on the cert to write "by Superintendant Registrar's Certificate"

Cheers
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  You lucky thing. The only ones I've had from local offices have been written out by the present-day registrar. I hope the info. gets you forward a little.

Thanks UJ - and if I ever get to the bottom of all this, I will organise a mega on-site party!

Cheers
                  J
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                    Interesting that they didn't make enough room on the cert to write "by Superintendant Registrar's Certificate"
                    What would normally go in that space is "Banns" or "Licence". Possibly one of the parties was resident elsewhere, so they had their intentions displayed at their local register office. I lived in outer London but was married in Scotland, so I needed to be certified. :D:D

Comment

I have quite a few that say "Certificate" in that space.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Perhaps the vicar was a bit huffy about it not being banns and got his own back by spelling out the evil deed in full.

Comment

Sorry to hear you were certified, UJ!!! LOL

The story in this case is that the vicar advised the bride-to-be not to proceed with the wedding - she disregarded his advice ( and probably ended up in a very unhappy relationshiip)
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Book, book, book, book, book.........

Best seller......:D

Comment

I thought someone said recently on here that a Vicar of a parish church cannot REFUSE to marry a parishioner?

Where does the Superintendant Registrar come into this??? He has no jurisdiction over a Vicar, surely?

OC

Comment

I simply don't know, OC !

All I know is that I have been told that the vicar advised Beatrice that she should not marry Frank, and that they were subsequently married by Superintendant Registrar's Certificate.
                                Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 02-06-08, 23:39.
                                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

So perhaps the vicar refused to marry them so they married in the Register Office instead?

Comment

No, the marriage certificate says they were married in the church by the vicar - the "Superintendant Registrar's certificate" thing doesn't mean the actual marriage certificate, it means they had a certificate that said they were allowed to get married - similar to a marriage licence but different, um, I'm sure OC or somebody will explain the difference but I have to go to bed now...!
                                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Margaret

But the top of the certificate says

"Marriage solomnized at St George's Parish Church in the Parish of Altrincham"

???
                                      J
                                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

*slaps own wrist for not reading the thread properly*

Sorry

Comment

Working...
                                        X