National Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives

I have found a document on the National Archives regarding my Great Grandfather. It's a medal card. Has anyone bought any medal cards and does anyone know what kind of information I might get from this before I buy it?
    Thanks,
    Carol x

Have you checked to see if the medal card is available on Ancestry.
    If you don't subscribe then give the details and Iwill look for you.
    Elaine

Comment

I didn't realise they did Medal cards on there? I shall go and have a look, if it lets me in! Thanks x

Comment

Search British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk
        British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
        Elaine

Comment

I think there is quite a lot of information on TNA site explaining what is on the medal cards if you find the right bit. But the copies of the cards on ancestry are better as they have both front and back, whereas the ones on TNA site have only the front (sometimes the back has an address on it). Also the scanning resolution of the TNA ones isn't very good. But the indexing is better on TNA so sometimes you have to search on there and then use the info you get from their free search to search on ancestry, if you see what I mean.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

They're also in colour on Ancestry..

Comment

Medal cards are quite hard to understand. This page helps to interpret them:

Interpreting medal index cards

Comment

Mary, thanks for that info on the medal cards, that's very useful.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I finally got into Ancestry and saw a copy of a medal card however my Great Grandfather is not on there so I'll have to pay on National Archives! but thanks for the info at least I know what kind of info to expect.

Comment

Mary that's brilliant, thankyou x

Comment

Working...
                    X