Canadian Border Crossing codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Border Crossing codes

I have Harry James Brownsey crossing or attempting to cross from USA to canada at Niagara Falls on 9 July 1930. It's good to know it is definitely my Harry because the record lists his brother and his mother who both live in Canada. However he seems to have no money in his pocket and in the column for admitted or refused is the reference Sec 42 (5) and Flower.

Does anyone know what this code means or able to point me in the right direction to find these codes? Would appreciate any help to clear a mystery.
    Last edited by Alf; 03-09-13, 16:26.

Hi Alf,

I'm afraid that I can't answer your question re: Codes. Hopefully someone on here will be able to though.

However, I would be interested to know where you found the Canadian Border Crossing records?

I've never been able to find trace of my Great Uncles, Ernest Henry and Norman Claude WARREN, who were sent to Canada as British Home Children in 1921.

Holly.

Comment

This may refer to the Immigration Act 1919 which amended the earlier Act. The Act appears here but you can only view as far as page 8 and that's where at the bottom it deals with Sec 42(4). I presume 42(5) is on the next page but I cannot have access to it unless I'm a subscriber.
      An act to amend the immigration act. : Ottawa : J. de L. TacheĢ, [1919]

The earlier Act appears here and Section 42(5) refers to deportation of a family. But this doesn't seem right in the case you have described, and in any event, may have been amended.

Hope this gives you further leads.
      Last edited by keldon; 10-09-13, 17:04.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Holly,
        Canadian border crossing records are available on ancestry.ca. If you have a worldwide sub to ancestry you can access the canadian section.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
          Holly,
          Canadian border crossing records are available on ancestry.ca. If you have a worldwide sub to ancestry you can access the canadian section.
          They are also avilable through the .co.uk for worldwide subscribers.

Why not contact here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html where the original records were sourced by ancestry. They are a government outlet for information and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction as usually Acts of Parliament are free to view if online.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
            Holly,
            Thats why I can't find them, - I don't currently have subs to Ancestry:-(

Holly.

Comment

Holly - It's been a while but I'm back - simple answer is a search on Ancestry. I have a worldwide subscription and these crossing keep coming up but usually they are not what I'm looking for.
              Last edited by Alf; 22-09-13, 16:07.

Comment

Keklon - Apologies for delayed response but thanks for the info.
                Last edited by Alf; 22-09-13, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                  They are also avilable through the .co.uk for worldwide subscribers.

Why not contact here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/index-e.html where the original records were sourced by ancestry. They are a government outlet for information and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction as usually Acts of Parliament are free to view if online.

Margaret
                  many thanks for info.

Comment

Working...
                  X