Google Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Books

Sometime ago someone (I forget who - apologies ) suggested using google books. I did and have found the details of a murder trial in Inverness in 1838 at which my ggg-grandmother was a witness - it was her next door neighbour who had been murdered by her husband....in a very small village in the Outer Hebrides.

It's amazing to have a transcription of what she said at the time! So thankyou to whoever it was who made the excellent suggestion!

On a related note, Stornoway library have been very, very helpful in ascertaining that the witness was indeed my ancestor. If you have questions in the Outer Hebrides then I'd suggest you get in touch with them.

The husband was eventually found to be insane and was not executed. I wonder whether anyone can suggest how I can find out what happened to him? Presumably he would have been sent to a lunatic asylum. Unfortunately his name was Malcolm Macleod - very common indeed...almost as bad as the English John Smith.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Wulliam

I have a murder trial in my family, of a gt gt gt uncle who was found innocent on the grounds of insanity and sent to Broadmoor. This institution was founded in the early 1860s. Before then, the criminally insane were confined either in prisons or lunatic asylums, until it was felt that special provision needed to be made for them. I don't know what happened in Scotland - maybe a newspaper account of the trial might say what the judge recommended?

I do agree, though on the excitement of reading one's ancestor's actual words. At the trial I found evidence was given by my gt gt grandparents and one of their daughters as well as the defendant's godfather, who was also the parish constable.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Plus, Google Books is great - I recently found a lawbook with details of a disputed Will involving my husband's ancestors. I'd found a possible Will on Nat Archives, but the book confirmed it was the right one.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree with Nell, Google Books is great, they have the full text of the Navy List and/or New Navy List for several years between 1846 and 1862, and I was able to trace the career of a Purser, with the dates of his seniority. Unfortunately, I still can't prove he was my relative despite his unusual surname, or that he became a coastguard when he retired!!!

Roger

Comment

Working...
        X