Family search - military records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family search - military records

Rather than hijack another thread (one from Lennon about Jacob Thomas), thought it best to start a new one.

bubblebelle made a comment about the transcriptions of military records -

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
    ... I transcribe for family search when I feel able, I can tell you that they have started to transcribe WW1 military service records too. These are quite interesting records to work on.
    I see there are already military records available on FamilySearch , for example:

but when you try to view the images you get a pop up which says:
    This image is viewable:
    When using the site at a family history center.
    To signed-in members of supporting organizations.
    I've seen this before on other databases I have tried to view - is this something they are starting to do when images are involved, rather than just trasciptions - because it's very annoying! :D
    Elaine

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
    I've seen this before on other databases I have tried to view - is this something they are starting to do when images are involved, rather than just trasciptions - because it's very annoying! :D
    It must cost a huge amount of money to keep this mostly free service going, and I have always wondered how they fund it. Downloading transcriptions doesn't take much bandwidth, but image files are significantly larger and would quickly clog up the system if they were freely available.

This would have the twin benefit of restricting downloads, and raising some revenue from supporting organisitaions (which I assume are places like public libraries and archive centres)
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

national archives would own copyright for those records wouldn't they? maybe they don't have permission to publish those images online.

Comment

I've just solved my problem through the NA records.
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          national archives would own copyright for those records wouldn't they? maybe they don't have permission to publish those images online.
          I have seen quite a few of the FamilySearch transcribed records linked to FMP, for example if you search the UK census I think most of the transcriptions are from FMP, and there is an option button to "visit sister site and view image".

I think some (or may be all) of these military records are the same as the ones available online at Ancestry so we are probably not missing out on much. I suppose I am just concerned that this doesn't escalate into all images only being available at dedicated centres.
          Elaine

Comment

The refs given on Family search for those 2 sets of military records are consistent with what's on Ancestry for WW1 (TNA Ref WO363 and WO364 ), and what's on FMP for Militia (TNA ref WO96), so nothing new. Agreed, though - hope it will still be possible to view new material on their site, rather than just at a LDS centre.
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I thought that the whole idea behind the new familysearch website was that they would eventually close down the family history centres once everything was available online. If we still need to visit a centre to see the actual images that kind of defeats the purpose of it, surely? I for one would be quite happy to pay a subscription (or ppv) if it gave me the comfort & convenience of being able to research from home rather than having to drive across town to my nearest FHC (which is only open a few hours per week in any case). I would have thought that the copyright issues would not be insurmountable, given that the commercial sites have managed to do it already. And the LDS already make a small charge for ordering microfilms so it would be no different if they charged to view online images - call it a bandwidth usage fee or something.

Comment

This is the stated position of the LDS site re Restricted Records Images.

'Although FamilySearch holds copies of billions of records from around the world (including more than 2.4 million rolls of microfilm), the organization does not own most of the records it has archived. FamilySearch provides free access to searchable indexes when indexes are available, but viewing digital images online is sometimes restricted at the request of records custodians. As part of the service provided through FamilySearch.org, the site will link to where those restricted images are available on other websites. As a nonprofit organization, FamilySearch does not participate in referral fees or in the revenues generated through its relationships with other websites.'

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                  This is the stated position of the LDS site re Restricted Records Images.

'Although FamilySearch holds copies of billions of records from around the world (including more than 2.4 million rolls of microfilm), the organization does not own most of the records it has archived. FamilySearch provides free access to searchable indexes when indexes are available, but viewing digital images online is sometimes restricted at the request of records custodians. As part of the service provided through FamilySearch.org, the site will link to where those restricted images are available on other websites. As a nonprofit organization, FamilySearch does not participate in referral fees or in the revenues generated through its relationships with other websites.'
                  I can understand that Bev, for example in some of the census transcriptions (England), if you want to view the image then you are directed to Findmypast. If you don't have a FMP subscription, then it's hard luck.
                  However, the military ones I was talking about are only images, there is an alphabetical A-Z listing of letters and you pick what you want to view that set of images, but when you do try to view you are told they are only available at Family History Centres. They must have been granted permission to share these records with their "members" or those who visit the centres - as Richard has said it is a shame that some sort of ppv option isn't available for those who can't visit such centres. Our nearest one is about 100km away, and I am reliably informed that it is rarely open! :D
                  Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X