Married in the Parish Church.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married in the Parish Church.

The 1846 Marriage Certificate begins with "Marriage solemnized at the Parish Church in the Parish of Liverpool etc."
    Liverpool was a big place and if someone was to purchase a certificate from this Register, how would the purchaser know what the name of the Church was or it's more precise location?
    I've just had a quick look at some of my Grandee's; a few certs are similiar whilst others show the name of the Church.

What`s the surname Alan ?...check 1846 on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk and www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html one of them may give the church

allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hiya Allan,
      I'm transcribing 1846 Marriage Register for lanOPC. It's only out of curiosity really; I always thought St Nics on the Pier Head was the Parish Church but this 1846 is St Peters, apparantly also The Parish Church. St Peter's as I understand it was somewhere in Lord St which isnt very far from St. Nics..........................in the back of my mind I have an idea that St Peters is buried under the BHS Store.

Comment

Any parish will only have one parish church, although it may have sister churches and chapels of ease, etc. Some parishes were huge - like Manchester - and covered hundreds of miles originally.

OC

Comment

http://www.livpc.co.uk/our_church/church_history.html will this help

Edna

Comment

Oh lol, that will teach me to be so clever!

Google says "unusually, Liverpool had TWO parish churches".

St Peter served as the Anglican Cathedral. It was demolished in the early 1900s.

I can only suggest you do a bit of detective work using the name of the Vicar!

OC

Comment

http://www.chesterwalls.info/gallery/stpeter.html St Peters photos and history

Edna

Comment

Another work around is to use Lancsbmd which has some marriages for both churches. If you can match up any of your 1846 marriages then it's St Nicholas. St Peter's hasn't been fully transcribed yet and starts at 1855.

OC

Comment

Thanks Edna, that link answers the question brilliantly..........well done. Likewise for the second link showing photos inside and outside of the church, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                    Hiya Allan,
                    I'm transcribing 1846 Marriage Register for lanOPC. It's only out of curiosity really; I always thought St Nics on the Pier Head was the Parish Church but this 1846 is St Peters, apparantly also The Parish Church. St Peter's as I understand it was somewhere in Lord St which isnt very far from St. Nics..........................in the back of my mind I have an idea that St Peters is buried under the BHS Store.
                    For interest it was Woolworths in Church Street it has a plaque according to the link, I must look next time I am in the area

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                      For interest it was Woolworths in Church Street it has a plaque according to the link, I must look next time I am in the area

Edna
                      Yes it is a small gold cross on the pavement outside the old Woolworths in Church Street, can't remember what the shop is now, maybe Next? The stone is quite easy to spot if you are looking for it.
                      Sandra

Comment

Working...
                      X