Graves found..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graves found..

I can confirm that Thomas Phillips was interred within the ā€˜A2ā€™ section of Durham Road Cemetery, grave number ā€˜15 Eā€™

I would be able to supply full details regarding this particular request (which will include a Certified Copy of the Burial Entry for all interred, together with maps and plans of the cemetery, and any other information that is available from our registers).
    Finally! Could this be the ticket to finding out who John is?!

Will delete the image in 1 hour..
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-04-13, 07:28. Reason: image thumbnail removed
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Image removed because of copyright. Doesn't matter if image is on site for 5 mins or 5 hours - copyright still applies!

Something which might help in the future. If you could provide a link to the photo being hosted on an external site then that is acceptable, e.g. providing a link to the actual page on the War Graves website.
    What you cannot do is copy the image and post it on here.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine I will remember next time, I've written it on the white board in front of me...

Comment

Soo your never going to believe what I found at the Registry Office..

Comment

Well it turns out that John was buried first in 1914 aged 11 and it was only when Thomas joined him in 1937 that a headstone was erected.

Comment

If John was born in Stockton there are 2 possible births on free bmd
            Phillips John Dec 1902 vol 10a p75 or
            Phillips John Alexander March 1903 vol 10a p68
            Last edited by angelina; 06-04-13, 09:59.
            Angelina

Comment

John Alexander's parents were Stephen and Mary Ellen according to family search.
              Angelina

Comment

Yeah the library have found 2 in 1903 as well which makes it more difficult. I'm just going to ask Stockton Roots if the parents are... hopefully we'll get somewhere there..

Taken from the Daily Gazette, found at Stockton Library..

17th August 1914,
                PHILLIPS, John, On August 15th, John beloved son of Thomas & Elizabeth Hannah Phillips, cortege leaves 28 Major Street, Stockton for Durham Road Cemetery, please accept this.

27th March 1937,
                PHILLIPS, Thomas, On March 24th, Thomas beloved wife of Elizabeth Hannah Phillips, cortege leaves 3 Croft Street, Stockton, Monday 2pm for interment, Durham Road Cemetery, please accept this.

Comment

well done for finding those two newspaper articles. looks like Thomas and Elizabeth really loved John otherwise they wouldnt have bothered putting the details in the paper.
                  Angelina

Comment

well they didn't have any children biologically so he did fill an awfully big hole, I have found the grave myself and it truly needs a clean.

Comment

I am sure Thomas and John would appreciate that. Is Thomas's wife in there too?
                      Angelina

Comment

Nup, I haven't found a death for her yet.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          well they didn't have any children biologically so he did fill an awfully big hole, I have found the grave myself and it truly needs a clean.
                          Worth checking on how best to clean a grave without causing damage to the surface of the stone.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The only safe way is using plain unspoiled water & a cloth. I shall add the link for future references.. http://www.wikihow.com/Photograph-a-Tombstone

Comment

It's on that page half way down.

Comment

The only safe way is using plain unspoiled water & a cloth. I shall add the link for future references.. http://www.wikihow.com/Photograph-a-Tombstone
                                Helpful! I winced when I saw someone being a bit firm with a gravestone - but it wasn't in my country, and I was a guest, and the intention was to help me.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have a photo taken from the Photographic Resource team and you can clearly see the writing so I think that whoever took the photo cleaned the headstone itself because I finally found it this morning and it's extremely small and filthy. I have taken my own photo to show Mum where the exact location is (near the babies cemetery)

Comment

Were slowly getting closer..

Thank you for your enquiry.
                                    I have located the death record for John Phillips from 1914, I then compared this to the three birth records I have found in Stockton from 1902-1903. One of the records would match with the details that you have provided along with the details on the death record. The reference for this birth record is Book 181 Entry 336 Sub District N
                                    Having this little information I can now try the library again :D :D :D

Comment

I find this to be one of the saddest things doing family history research, Finding graves which are so neglected. I could have wept when i discovered my Gr Grandads grave. x x x Stella x x
                                      Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Comment

There's an article in the Evening Gazette- link below where the friends had to buy the plot of the Council in order to erect a headstone as it was a paupers grave.

Comment

Working...
                                        X