Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound like he went to war?

Hi

Im doing a bit of research into my step-dads family tree, but im struggling with a grandfather. Dorothy Mcalla married William G Haines in Gateshead in Q4 1911. Their first child was born in Sept 1912 in Lambeth, their second in 1917 in Lambeth and their 3rd in 1921 in Burnley. Apart from the marriage and a divorce petition I can find nothing about William George (middle name mentioned in the petition) at all so my thought was that he went to war? However I cannot find any service records with any mention of Dorothy, but given the gaps in the births I cant really see anything other reason (without the obvious of difficulty conceiving).

Dorothy's family are all in the music industry, her father was listed as a music professor and in 1911 Dorothy is listed as a "music hall artiste" is there anything I can find out about what they were possibly up to?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Not particularly, no.

My grandfather DID go to war and yet still managed to father children b. 1916 and 1918 (along with more before and after).

What did William do for a living? Any clues there?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

There is a William G Haines, 33, widower, shown as a vistor at 40 King Street Southsea in the 1911 census, born at Poplar and a Music Hall Artiste. As you say Dorothy Mccalla was also a Music Hall Artiste, perhaps this William was her husband.

I could not find Dorothy in the 1911 census, where was she staying and what was her age and place of birth?

merleyone

Comment

There are several William G Haines listed in the Medal Card indexes, without a service number it would be a bit presumptious of me to say that he did or didn't

go to war.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by merleyone View Post
          There is a William G Haines, 33, widower, shown as a vistor at 40 King Street Southsea in the 1911 census, born at Poplar and a Music Hall Artiste. As you say Dorothy Mccalla was also a Music Hall Artiste, perhaps this William was her husband.

I could not find Dorothy in the 1911 census, where was she staying and what was her age and place of birth?

merleyone
          Dorothy is with the Oddy family in Castleford, visitor born London, with sister Margareta
          Last edited by Elaine; 03-04-13, 21:52.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks for the info on that William, sounds like a very good possible to me!
            Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

There are several newspaper references to the McCalla Sisters, and to Dolly & Madge McCalla, from around 1908. They seem to have been vocalists primarily and were described in 1910 as 'two charming little ladies from an enthusiastic racing family'.
              By 1916, Dolly McCalla seems to be partnered with a Hal Whitby as the 'lightning Rag-Timers', presumably dancers. No trace of William Haines but there are references to a Harry McCalla, who seems to have been some sort of Tipster, maybe their father?

merleyone

Comment

Do you have the 1917 birth certificate? If father was in the army that one may have his regiment and rank listed under occupation.

PS when I was researching my great uncle who was a music hall artist I took a sub to The Stage website and found many references to him - ads when he was looking for bookings and reviews of his performances.
                Last edited by JudithM; 05-04-13, 17:37.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Im so sorry ive only just picked up the last bit of this. I wonder if Dolly and Madge are actually Dorothy and Margaret?? and yes her father was Harry, although I have no idea what a Tipster is??
                  Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                    Im so sorry ive only just picked up the last bit of this. I wonder if Dolly and Madge are actually Dorothy and Margaret?? and yes her father was Harry, although I have no idea what a Tipster is??
                    Dolly is certainly a shortening for Dorothy and Madge could easily be short for Margaret.

I think a tipster is someone who bets on horse racing and maybe publishes an article in the local paper telling others what to bet on.

Margaret

Comment

I'm going to have to dig a little deeper as in all the census' Harry is a journalist/author not a race horse owner (not sure if that is the sort of thing he would mention). If it wasn't for that it would all fit perfectly, how typical!!
                      Robyne

Comment

Originally posted by Lensgirl View Post
                        I'm going to have to dig a little deeper as in all the census' Harry is a journalist/author not a race horse owner (not sure if that is the sort of thing he would mention). If it wasn't for that it would all fit perfectly, how typical!!
                        I think being a journalist would fit with being a Tipster as he would write a column on the Racing Pages. He might have owner horses as well but not a main occupation. For instance the Queen is a racehorse owner but would not put that as her occupation on her passport!! LOL
                        Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. Looking into it there are no other Harry McCalla's and there are no "Dolly"s either so I think I can feel comfortable saying that they are who I think they are. Many thanks for your help
                          Robyne

Comment

I also think it likely that this Harry McCalla must be 'yours'. As you say, there do not appear to be any other candidates and a 1920 newspaper advert for the Autumn edition of 'Horses to Follow', was 'especially compiled by Harry McCalla (author of Turf Arithmetic)' and was available from newsagents or post free from Harry McCalla, Morion House, Newmarket. No doubt using a Newmarket address to add credence to the content.
                            In the 1901 census, he was living at 15 Marlborough Road with his family and in 1904, he was shown as being of 15 Marlborough Road, St Johns Wood, when prosecuted successfully for punching an Army lieutenant after he had remonstrated with HM on an underground train about the noise and language from HM and his party, described by the guard as a 'rough,bawdy and rowdy crowd'.
                            Not necessarily what we seek to learn about but it all adds colour to the family doesn't it?

merleyone

Comment

I also think it likely that this Harry McCalla must be 'yours'. As you say, there do not appear to be any other candidates and a 1920 newspaper advert for the Autumn edition of 'Horses to Follow', was 'especially compiled by Harry McCalla (author of Turf Arithmetic)' and was available from newsagents or post free from Harry McCalla, Morion House, Newmarket. No doubt using a Newmarket address to add credence to the content.
                              In the 1901 census, he was living at 15 Marlborough Road with his family and in 1904, he was shown as being of 15 Marlborough Road, St Johns Wood, when prosecuted successfully for punching an Army lieutenant after he had remonstrated with HM on an underground train about the noise and language from HM and his party, described by the guard as a 'rough,bawdy and rowdy crowd'.
                              Not necessarily what we seek to learn about but it all adds colour to the family doesn't it?

merleyone
                              Well he might have been celebrating a good win on the horses!!
                              Margaret

Comment

merleyone
                                wow where did you find that information?
                                Robyne

Comment

Have sent you a PM.

merleyone

Comment

Working...
                                  X