Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any Scotland's People credits going begging, pls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any Scotland's People credits going begging, pls?

On the 1841 census for Tower Hamlets, London, I have a James Ainsley Gray, b. 1790-1800 who it says was born in Scotland.

It looks like it also says "N" in the "born in this county" column for his wife Sarah and all but the youngest of the children. I have a baptism for the eldest, James (also James Ainsley) b.2 Jan 1821 and for Frederick, b.22.1.1825,in 1828 in St Giles, Cripplegate, London.

Can anyone provide me with any more info on James, please?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
    On the 1841 census for Tower Hamlets, London, I have a James Ainsley Gray, b. 1790-1800 who it says was born in Scotland.

It looks like it also says "N" in the "born in this county" column for his wife Sarah and all but the youngest of the children. I have a baptism for the eldest, James (also James Ainsley) b.2 Jan 1821 and for Frederick, b.22.1.1825,in 1828 in St Giles, Cripplegate, London.

Can anyone provide me with any more info on James, please?

Thanks
    STG
    I have a few so I'll have a look now.
    Margaret

Comment

A search for James Grey 1790 -1800 in the Old Parish records for the whole of Scotland gives these results
      10/12/1790 GREY JAMES JOHN GREY/ISABEL TAIT FR285 (FR285) ASHKIRK /SELKIRK 781/00 0010 0276
      29/09/1796 GREY JAMES JAMES GREY ISABEL LEITCH FR599 (FR599) GREENOCK NEW OR MIDDLE /RENFREW 564/01 0030 0054
      19/04/1799 GREY JAMES JOHN GREY/ELSPIT DOUGLASS NIGG (KINCARDINE) /KINCARDINE 266/00 0020 034

Names of parents in middle set but none have a middle name of Ainsley so maybe not helpful.

Any idea of a date of marriage?

Margaret

Comment

Here he is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY3K-VLB baptised in 1798 inn Edinburgh with parents listed as David Grey and Henrietta Ainsley - I should have thought to look there first!!
        Margaret

Comment

The eldest child (that I know about) was born Jan 1821, so marriage p'raps 1818-1820?

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Here he is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY3K-VLB baptised in 1798 inn Edinburgh with parents listed as David Grey and Henrietta Ainsley - I should have thought to look there first!!
            Margaret

You and me both! Brilliant, Margaret.
            Thanks so much.

STG

Comment

Apropos of nothing at all, but

Re Margaret's post 3# above, John Grey and Elspet Douglas were my 5 x GGPs.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                Apropos of nothing at all, but

Re Margaret's post 3# above, John Grey and Elspet Douglas were my 5 x GGPs.

OC
                Small world isn't it in this lark!!

Margaret

Comment

Found a sister Henrietta b1795 for James https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTRS-98Q
                  Margaret

Comment

That's great, thanks again Margaret.

Found a marriage for David and Henrietta in Edinburgh 1794, showing Henrietta's father as James, but no info on David's parentage (shame); and then a marriage for James Ainsley and Sarah Wright in London in 1818, so it's coming together slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      That's great, thanks again Margaret.

Found a marriage for David and Henrietta in Edinburgh 1794, showing Henrietta's father as James, but no info on David's parentage (shame); and then a marriage for James Ainsley and Sarah Wright in London in 1818, so it's coming together slowly.
                      That's always satisfying - let us know if we can help further.
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X