Ancestry.com ? naff for shipping and immigration records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry.com ? naff for shipping and immigration records

I put all relevant details into Ancestry yet they keep on coming up with irrelevant dates.. Am I doing something wrong or is there a better website? eg Henry Alexander Meredith from Dublin dob 1880 traveled to NZ in early 1900's?
    Judith

To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
    -- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Oddly enough I got the records for one relative but when I try another I'm not getting anything which makes me think that he travelled illegally, then again I'm sure he wouldn't have been allowed to join the London Irish Rifles if he hadn't have come over to the UK legally.

Maybe we are searching for the wrong thing or Ancestry don't have every single records in the world.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

was he a seaman ??

Comment

have you found him on the new zealand electoral rolls he is in Selwyn Canterbury in 1903 and have you seen this

Comment

Yes Val I can find him there but not on a voyage out to NZ.
          Judith

Comment

there is a Mr Meredith going out in 1906 from Liverpool but most of the image is missing
            if you give me your email can send what there is

Comment

if thats him in 1903 he must have gone out about then ?

Comment

Are you using the New Search? That often brings up irrelevant stuff. Choose the Old Search at the top right of the page. Bear in mind that Christian names aren't always listed.

There don't appear to be any hits for your Henry, though. Would he have travelled from England or Ireland? I don't think there are any Irish passenger lists on Ancestry.

You can also search outgoing passenger lists from the UK on FMP, but I assume they have the same lists as Ancestry, although the transcriptions may be better.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-03-13, 00:38.

Comment

I'm not sure if something has changed, but recently I seem to be getting a lot of totally irrelevant hits on the new search. Like totally irrelevant! Yesterday the first result on a search was a census with four stars and the only thing I could see that matched my subject was the wife's first name--Mary. The surnames were not even close, nor the given names.

Is anyone else noticing the same?

Comment

I was searching for a Lennon connection the other day and ended up getting my Mum's siblings, heck I even got one of Mum's half brothers on it. I darent tell her that I found him though.
                    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Do you think FMP is better? I also need Scottish info as well as world wide.
                      Judith

Comment

Thank you Mary for this helpful hint. I didn't know there was a "old search" function. It has brought up a lot more. Don't know where he traveled from.
                        Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        Are you using the New Search? That often brings up irrelevant stuff. Choose the Old Search at the top right of the page. Bear in mind that Christian names aren't always listed.

There don't appear to be any hits for your Henry, though. Would he have travelled from England or Ireland? I don't think there are any Irish passenger lists on Ancestry.

You can also search outgoing passenger lists from the UK on FMP, but I assume they have the same lists as Ancestry, although the transcriptions may be better.
                        Judith

Comment

emails on their way

Comment

Working...
                          X