GERBER research (germany)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GERBER research (germany)

Is there anybody who is doing research on the gerber surname, which originated in germany. I'm trying to trace some ancestors.
    Would appreciate any assistance

if you give us details of what you know, we may be able to help you with your search.

Comment

Hi kyle,
      Thanks

I have Franz Anton Gerber, born 1739/1740, he came from Epfig in Alsace, France, and arrived in South Africa in 1758. He married Catharina van Dyk, and had 10 children.

I need to find his parents and lineage. I have his parents (but unconfirmed as Franz Josef Graber born 05 Apr 1704, in Lahr, Ortenaukreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany and he married Barbara Haegin.

Another person i know of researching his parents, say his father's name was Melchior.

Would appreciate any assistance from anyone.

Comment

Franz Anton was the progenitor of the Gerbers in South Africa. He went by the name of Anthony, which appears on his marriage record. He was later known as Frans Anthonie.

Comment

you need the archives in bas rhin:

you should be able to find the registers for epfig here. does the south african marriage record parents names? german marriages generally do in the 19th century, but i have no idea of 18th century. i know french marriages do during the 18th century, and alsace was a french or german possession for centuries.

i would assume once you find the family in the epfig records, they will say whether the father came from wurttemburg or not.

this page details alsace research:

Last edited by kylejustin; 16-03-13, 01:47.

Comment

thanks kyle, appreciate your help

Comment

no parents are shown on the marriage record.

Comment

well that's a pity, but i hope you can find the family in epfig!

Comment

thanks kyle. i'm trying to get his death certificate. that will surely be the clincher for the exact birthdate.

Comment

i don't know about south african records. the only time i know german records have birthdate, is in marriages. but that seems to be different in locality and times. you have a rough date of birth anyway don't you? surely searching a year on either side will let you find the birth? or at least other gerbers?

Comment

i've searched the alsace records, i came across about 4 potential franz anton gerbers. the name franz anton was very popular among people in those times, and lots of families used it for their new born children. I had to look carefully not to confuse the people.

Comment

Frans Anton Gerber came from Epfig in Alsace. Until 1714 it was part of the Holy Roman Empire from then it became part of France.
                        There are 2 christenings which could possibly be of him, both in Latin
                        Franciscus Antonius Gerber = 31/10/1717 parents Matthiue (Matthias) Gerber and Anna Maria Spitz(in) and
                        Franciscus Antonius Gerber = 18/1/1730 parents Matthiue (Matthias) Gerber and Ursula Mötz(in)
                        Going according to the names of Frans Anton and Catharina van Dyk's children, I think the first is the more probable.

Frans Anton left the Netherlands from the isle of Texel aboard the Kronenburg on 1/12/1758 and arrivd at the Cape on 28/03/1759. The captian of the ship was Willem Hoogland. The Kronenburg left the cape 04/04/1759 and arrived in Batavia 0/06/1759. The ship was 150 feet long, 1100tons and couls carry 311-357 people.

At the Cape F A Gerber had a son with Johanna Christina Rekkerse (Beckerse, Rikker(t)) before he married Catharina van Dyk. This son Johannes Abraham married Rosa Catharina Swanepoel where my family comes from. This group of Gerbers lived mainly in the Tulbach Wolseley Worcester area.

Comment

Originally posted by GF Gerber View Post
                          Frans Anton Gerber came from Epfig in Alsace. Until 1714 it was part of the Holy Roman Empire from then it became part of France.
                          There are 2 christenings which could possibly be of him, both in Latin
                          Franciscus Antonius Gerber = 31/10/1717 parents Matthiue (Matthias) Gerber and Anna Maria Spitz(in) and
                          Franciscus Antonius Gerber = 18/1/1730 parents Matthiue (Matthias) Gerber and Ursula Mötz(in)
                          Going according to the names of Frans Anton and Catharina van Dyk's children, I think the first is the more probable.

Frans Anton left the Netherlands from the isle of Texel aboard the Kronenburg on 1/12/1758 and arrivd at the Cape on 28/03/1759. The captian of the ship was Willem Hoogland. The Kronenburg left the cape 04/04/1759 and arrived in Batavia 0/06/1759. The ship was 150 feet long, 1100tons and couls carry 311-357 people.

At the Cape F A Gerber had a son with Johanna Christina Rekkerse (Beckerse, Rikker(t)) before he married Catharina van Dyk. This son Johannes Abraham married Rosa Catharina Swanepoel where my family comes from. This group of Gerbers lived mainly in the Tulbach Wolseley Worcester area.
                          Welcome to the forum. This thread is a year old so you may find it best to send the originator a private message (PM) which would be notified to the normal email account.

You send a PM by clicking on the name of the originator in the left panel and from the dropdown list select PM.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X