Laura Burch USA Lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laura Burch USA Lookup

Looking for husband of Laura Burch, daughter of Stewart Kees(Keese), who was born before 1814 and died before 1870. Probably born in Montgomery Co., NY. She had a son, Martin Burch, who in 1870 was living in Coldwater, Ohio and daughter, Charlotte who married a Jenkins and was living in 1870(?) in Champaign, Illinois,

Hi Sunfish

I have moved this to our Family History Research forum where hopefully our members will assist you.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi, Sunfish -
      Welcome to FTF!

This doesn't look easy - do you have any more info about her? Have a spouse's first name? Have any estimation of DOD, and place of death?

US census has the name of the head of household on censuses thru 1840. So, you won't catch her at home with her parents on the census. DOB/POB for Martin?

Hmm, the Martin Burch living in Coldwater, OH in 1870 was born circa 1824 - what was your source of his mom's DOB?
      There are family trees that think that that Martin Burch is s/o Joseph Burch & Molly Polly Crouch (there are Crouches next door to him in the censuses in OH
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-04-13, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
        Hi, Sunfish -
        Welcome to FTF!

This doesn't look easy - do you have any more info about her? Have a spouse's first name? Have any estimation of DOD, and place of death?

US census has the name of the head of household on censuses thru 1840. So, you won't catch her at home with her parents on the census. DOB/POB for Martin?

Hmm, the Martin Burch living in Coldwater, OH in 1870 was born circa 1824 - what was your source of his mom's DOB?
        There are family trees that think that that Martin Burch is s/o Joseph Burch & Molly Polly Crouch (there are Crouches next door to him in the censuses in OH
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        About the only fact I can add is that her mother was Barsheba Taylor. The Martin Burch you mention has been cited by others; unless Joseph had two marriages such a conclusion would seem untenable. We have not been able to discover Laura' husband's first name as it does not appear on any legal document we have found.

Comment

Charlotte in 1860 (only indexed):
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

1860 household members:
          Silas Jenkins 28
          Charlotte Jenkins 30
          Pernetta Jenkins 13
          Mariam Jenkins 11
          Mary Jenkins 10
          Silas Jenkins 7
          Marth Jenkins 5
          Permelia Jenkins 2

1880 (index)
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

There's a Charlotte Burch living in NYC in 1850, but I don't think she's yours?

not having luck with Barsheba, either

Comment

Charlotte in 1860 (only indexed):

1860 household members:
            Silas Jenkins 28
            Charlotte Jenkins 30
            Pernetta Jenkins 13
            Mariam Jenkins 11
            Mary Jenkins 10
            Silas Jenkins 7
            Marth Jenkins 5
            Permelia Jenkins 2

1880 (index)

There's a Charlotte Burch living in NYC in 1850, but I don't think she's yours?

not having luck with Barsheba, either
            Thanks for the info you have found. Maybe I'll never find out more about Laura. Any further tips appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the info you have found. Maybe I'll never find out more about Laura. Any further tips appreciated.

Comment

Hi, Sunfish -
                Hate it when you run into brick walls. So here's the advice that was given to me:
                You know who Laura's descendants are: have you found their obits & wills? Traced each thru census, and, if available, thru BMD records? I'm not clear where you tie into these people - are you a descendant of Charlotte? She's living in the kind of place where she may have had a wordy obit written about her. It may give her place of birth & surviving siblings. I doubt she left a will, or that it would give useful info about her origins, but there are still stones to overturn if you haven't checked.

Many smaller towns in the US had "history" books written about them in the 1880s-1910s. They included "biographies" of inhabitants of the area. I have one from Indiana that describes one of my ancestor's - and his forebears in great detail. Google her town & county for historical books. I often start with FHL's catalog for hints: www.familysearch.org and click on 'catalog', then enter the place name. FHL also offers online advice - pose your question, they'll try to suggest ideas.

Good luck.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 16-04-13, 23:05.

Comment

So, there are some historical books, some are online. My internet connection is too slow for this:

Here's familysearch's resources - you can use them for suggestions as for looking next:

Champaing Public Library's ideas:

Do you know when Charlotte died?

The local gensoc knows where the newspapers are:
                  The Champaign County Genealogical Society specializes in the records of Champaign County, Illinois. Membership includes a subscription to the Quarterly publication and access to members-only services

And maybe someone can help locally:
                  The Champaign County Genealogical Society specializes in the records of Champaign County, Illinois. Membership includes a subscription to the Quarterly publication and access to members-only services

This is a cute little tool, but I didn't see anything that answers your question. I think there are references to Silas, Jr.

Keep on pluggin'

Comment

If you can get access to "The Troy Record" - Troy, New York - there's an article about the recent death of a Mrs Laura BURCH - but it's clearly several generations later, if it's one of yours, because it's dated 10 Oct 1960.

The earliest reference to "Laura BURCH" in the USA newspapers that shows up on FMP is only 1896.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Laura Burch

So, there are some historical books, some are online. My internet connection is too slow for this:

Here's familysearch's resources - you can use them for suggestions as for looking next:

Champaing Public Library's ideas:

Do you know when Charlotte died?

The local gensoc knows where the newspapers are:

And maybe someone can help locally:

This is a cute little tool, but I didn't see anything that answers your question. I think there are references to Silas, Jr.

Keep on pluggin'
                      Thanks for the tips. We think Charlotte died after 1880 but then the trail ends.

Comment

The only thing I can find with respect to Nancy's death is a brief note marking her death: - In Western, New York, April 5, 1878. That would be Tn of Western, Oneida Co., NY. It appeared in the Rome (NY) Citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by sufferingsunfish View Post
                          The only thing I can find with respect to Nancy's death is a brief note marking her death: - In Western, New York, April 5, 1878. That would be Tn of Western, Oneida Co., NY. It appeared in the Rome (NY) Citizen.
                          uh, oh - the name Nancy doesn't seem to have appeared previously in this thread.

Do you mean Laura?

Comment

Sorry about that. Nancy is my direct ancestor, sister to Laura and aunt to Charlotte.

Comment

Working...
                            X