Help to discover what happenned to the Beavis family between 1855 - 1867

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to discover what happenned to the Beavis family between 1855 - 1867

I am trying to establish what happened to this family after the father filed for bankruptcy in 1855 and prior to his wife remarrying in 1867. I have not been able to find any familiy member in the 1861 census so far. The details are:

Sophia Evans
    (bc1828 Bermondsey, Surrey) married Robert George Beavis (bc 1828, Southwark, Surrey) on 29 May 1848, St John's Church, Waterloo.

1851 census - Living at Ann's Place Southwark with sons Robert (2 1/2), Thomas (4 months.)

1851 - 7 Sep baptism of son Thomas Marson Beavis at St Saviour, Southwark St Georges' Southwark. Residence St George's Southwark. Father's occupation Packer.

1853 - 26 Jun baptism of daughter Sophia (Bavis) at St George the Martyr. Residence Gloucester Place, Old Kent Road. Father's Occupation China Dealer.

1855 - Robert submits a petition for bankruptcy and is in Surrey gaol. Residence formerly 4 Gloucester Place.

1857 - 20 Sep baptism of daughter Sarah Ann Beavis,St George the Martyr. Residence Gloucester Place.

I cannot find any family member in the 1861 census but Robert looks as though he dies between 1857 -1867 as his wife Sophia remarries on 13 Jul 1867 at St James, Bemondsey. This this time the groom is Wililam Heild.

I have found the wife Sophia in 1871/81 and believe that she died in 1889 in Southwark district.

I would love to know what happened to the family between 1857 & 1867. Ancestry have a death for Robert Beavis 1862 Lambeth but I think it is a mistranscription and should be Wareham district.
    Helen in Glos

Not having much luck as yet, but that Sophia that died in 1889 Southwark is a Sophia Beavis??? if she married that William Heild she would be Sophia Heild?

Comment

think I found him in the newspaper records ? will pm you

Comment

1881 as Beavis and daughter is married 1875 saying father Robert is deceased, marriage is online

RG11; Piece: 543; Folio: 13; Page: 19

found second marriage matches but no luck 1861 so far
        Last edited by Elaine; 11-03-13, 20:37.
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I see Sophia is still Beavis in 1881 ?? so she didnt remarry then ?? I would bet that one that died in 1889 is her.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-03-13, 20:41.

Comment

She appears to have lied about her father being dead in 1867. Or not know that her father was still alive. I believe he died Dec 1880 aged 81 in St Olave didn't he?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The marriage is there for Sophia 1867 to William Hield, father matches on both marriage certificates but as Beavis 1881, with all the children as beavis, maybe there was a mistake/misunderstanding of her surname when the information was given to the enumerator
              Elaine

Comment

I reckon she married William bigamously maybe he found out and left her ?she says she is a widow in 1881 under Beavis not Heild?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  She appears to have lied about her father being dead in 1867. Or not know that her father was still alive. I believe he died Dec 1880 aged 81 in St Olave didn't he?
                  He is a possibility but I wondered if her father might have died 1832 age 48 and burial St John,Southwark (Ancestry), which would tie in with the marriage entries.
                  Helen in Glos

Comment

Yes, the bigamy might make sense. I hadn't really worried too much about her reverting to Beavis, it has happened before in my tree.

Thanks for your PM, I have replied
                    Helen in Glos

Comment

your email address isnt working ?

Comment

May have confused it a bit, meant Robert Beavis as deceased Sophia the daughter's marriage 1875
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Val for you PMs , I am going to have a good look at the family in Wantage after work.
                          Helen in Glos

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                            May have confused it a bit, meant Robert Beavis as deceased Sophia the daughter's marriage 1875
                            I see what you mean, Robert Beavis bc 1825 might still be alive in 1875, just his daughter doesn't know or has lied. (I was thinking about Thomas Pascoe Evans)

I will be back on case this afternoon, thanks for your input.
                            Helen in Glos

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say death in 1890, not 1880. I picked it out because it was the only one for a Thomas Pascoe Evans, which is quite unusual.
                              Thomas would only have been about 19 when he had Sophia though, if it's him.
                              Sorry, I've just realised that on the first marriage cert Sophia also states him as deceased. I didn't notice because she had put his occupation as well. I assume the death I found was probably her brother or some relation?

Comment

Yes of course, I imagine this is her fathers death - sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Thanks for all your imput. Having spent a good while this afternoon following up the Beavis family I am still no further, but it often happens and then it a couple of years it all comes to light.

I have followed Robert & Sophia Beavis in Wantage, found by Val in the newspaper reports, through the census but remarkably they are another couple with the same names, Robert Beavis in this case was born in Bath in 1813 and Sophia in the West Indies.
                                  Helen in Glos

Comment

what a strange coincidence Helen ?

Comment

Yes, I was sure that I had got it wrong but the Wantage family were in Grove Street Wantage, mstranscribed as Baris on Ancestry & Bavis on FMP, whilst the others were in Southwark.

Sorry should have said in 1851 census.
                                      Last edited by HeleninGlos; 12-03-13, 21:58. Reason: Missed out date
                                      Helen in Glos

Comment

Working...
                                      X