• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rootsireland.ie free searches

100 free searches available:

Happy St. Patrick's Day
    Free Searches

For a limited period you can avail of 100 free search page results on www.rootsireland.ie.

If you have not been able to locate relevant records before on our site please visit it again. We have added over a million new records in 2012/2013.

With these free searches you can search our indexes of birth, baptism, marriage, death, gravestone inscription, census and shipping manifest records.

You will need to purchase credits to view the full available details of a particular record.

To find out more about the credit system click here..

By registering on the site you are accepting our terms and conditions of use.

You may change your registered email or password under the My Account option of the website. If you have forgotten your password click on Reset Password at the login page.

Searching
    N.B. You can search an individual centre/county's records OR perform a search across all counties' data. Please see our interactive map of counties here..

All Ireland Search - Click here..

Individual County Page
    Co. Antrim - Ulster Historical Foundation
    Co. Armagh - Armagh Ancestry
    Co. Cavan - Cavan Genealogy
    Co. Cork - Mallow Heritage Centre
    Co. Derry-Londonderry - Derry Genealogy Centre
    Co. Donegal - Donegal Ancestry
    Co. Down - Ulster Historical Foundation
    Co. Dublin (North) - Swords Heritage Centre
    Co. Dublin (South) - Dun Laoghaire Heritage & Genealogy
    Co. Fermanagh - Irish World Family History Services
    Co. Kildare - Kildare Genealogy
    Co. Kilkenny - Rothe House Trust Ltd
    Co. Galway (East) - East Galway Family History Society
    Co. Galway (West) - Galway Family History Society West Ltd
    Co. Laois - Irish Midlands Ancestry
    Co. Leitrim - Leitrim Genealogy Centre
    Co. Limerick - Limerick Genealogy
    Co. Longford - Longford Genealogy
    Co. Louth - Louth Co. Library
    Co. Mayo - Mayo Family History Centres
    Co. Meath - Meath Heritage and Genealogy Centre
    Co. Monaghan - Monaghan Genealogy
    Co. Offaly - Irish Midlands Ancestry
    Co. Roscommon - Co. Roscommon Heritage & Genealogy Company
    Co. Sligo - Co. Sligo Heritage and Genealogy Society
    Co. Tipperary (North) - North Tipperary Genealogy Centre
    Co. Tipperary (South) - Bru Boru Cultural Centre
    Co. Tyrone - Irish World Family History Services
    Co. Waterford - Waterford Heritage Services
    Co. Westmeath - Dún na Sí Heritage Centre
    Co. Wexford - Co. Wexford Heritage and Genealogy Society
    Co. Wicklow - Wicklow Family History Centre

We provide a HELP section, lists of Online Sources by county, Sample Records and information on how to search the site; you can access this information via the menu on the left hand side of the homepage.

Please be aware that we have an index to the Griffith's Valuation available on this site.

The IFHF will not be held responsible for any errors or omissions of the products and services it sells. While IFHF will seek to redress matters of grievance, refunds will be granted at the sole discretion of IFHF management. No refunds to credit/debit cards can be made after three months from the time of purchase. Credit can be purchased and spent on any of the ORS websites. Please refer to our terms and conditions of use. Please familiarize yourself with the site via our HELP and Online Sources sections before searching the site or purchasing credits.

If you have any questions please check our Help Pages and if these do not provide an answer you can contact any individual county genealogy centre or enquiries@rootsireland.ie

Yours Sincerely
    IFHF

I had a look earlier Kyle. Didnt find what I was looking for but useful to have.

Comment

If I ever needed proof that only a small fraction of the church records are on this site I have now got the proof! Over three quarters of the records that I have found in Tipperary are not on this site! The "Free" searching leaves much to be desired!

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 10-03-13, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
        If I ever needed proof that only a small fraction of the church records are on this site I have now got the proof! Over three quarters of the records that I have found in Tipperary are not on this site! The "Free" searching leaves much to be desired!

Janet
        I'm glad to hear you say that, Janet.

I have been looking for my G Grandfathers birth, said to be Tipperary but have never found it. I did start to think if this was just what he said on his army records.

So, there is still hope!
        Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
          I'm glad to hear you say that, Janet.

I have been looking for my G Grandfathers birth, said to be Tipperary but have never found it. I did start to think if this was just what he said on his army records.

So, there is still hope!
          What part of Tipperary are you looking for or do the army records just say Tipperary? There is of course the town of Tipperary, which is contained within the County of Tipperary, just to confuse a little more! If you like to give me a name I may be able to point you in a direction on name only mind!!

Apologies to Kylejustin for being so negative but I know these Heritage sites too well!

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 10-03-13, 13:35.

Comment

He was born in Roscrea, Tipperary. He was Augustine Ansboro......i've had some help in the past from kind posters but all dead ends. I was also told his mum may have just gone there because his dad (Martin) was in the police in troubled times.
            Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post

Janet
              Janet, I have been attempting to piece together my RYAN family for more than thirty years. My grandmother's records all state she was from Tipperary. Had a breakthrough recently via Trove, verifying that Patrick and Bridget RYAN were her parents...but more importantly, that Patrick was the son of Matthew RYAN and Ellen O'Shaughnessy. But does his birth, or that his parents' marriage appear in the Tipperary indexes ? Not on your nelly :(
              Last edited by Macbev; 10-03-13, 15:01.

Beverley

Comment

these irish sites are useless i find. but i think it's more an issue with coverage than intent. for example, my dwyer family came from sixmilebridge in clare. the heritage centre wanted an exorbitant sum to tell me nothing. i'm glad i didn't do it, and i know they would have found nothing, because i had a researcher look for them in the national library's microfilms in dublin. he found nothing. but it would be nice if clare was online, maybe my family was christened somewhere else. i have often wondered if maybe the father was from tipperary, the mother from sixmilebridge, and the christened where the father was from.

it also claims to have a good coverage of antrim and cork, but my antrim rellies dont show up, and though i'm not aware of where in cork my ancestor is from, there is nothing showing up under name she used.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                  He was born in Roscrea, Tipperary. He was Augustine Ansboro......i've had some help in the past from kind posters but all dead ends. I was also told his mum may have just gone there because his dad (Martin) was in the police in troubled times.

Well at least you are not looking for Murphy! I have found the following of possible interest on the Tipperary Rootsweb. Surely there cannot be too many by the name of Augustin Ansboro! But perhaps you have already found this one or even put this one on yourself?

RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.

For some unknown reason I cannot copy paste the exact page but I got the following by keying in Ansboro on the above site and the following are some of the ones that turned up.

2. [IRL-SLIGO] Any info on HANSBURY (ANSBORO?) in Sligo [0.942809] Hello, List: I am really stumped on finding any information on the name HANSBURY/HANSBOROUGH/or possibly ANSBORO[UGH]. Ib
                  • 3. [INDIA] ANSBORO Family Tree. [0.714435] Does anyone have ANSBORO in thier family tree, This family was a military family. Augustine Ansboro was the 1st in the family to go out to India, (he married twice - i have his 2nd marriage cert) this was in Approx 1860s. They were based around Rawalpindi, Nowshera, Jubbulpore, Calcutta and Kamptee. Augustine finished his career as a Police Sergent in Jubblepore. Does this family ring any bells with your own research? Or can anyone see a 1st marriage for him to a Julia Henry.
                  • http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-01/1264945919
                    Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:51:59 +0000 (GMT)
                    From:4. Re: FORD / HANSBORO [0.589256] There are Ansboro families in Claremorris area of S.Mayo, some of whom ended up in Scotland by 1881. There was someone on this list researching them a couple of years ago, I think he had the same name. He will be in the Rootsweb list archive.
                  • http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-04/1081524768
                    Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:45:00 +0100I was going to look on Griffiths/Tithe Aplotments for names but have run out of time at present but will look later.

If the above is yours then the FIBIS site is worth looking at for further information.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 10-03-13, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                    Janet, I have been attempting to piece together my RYAN family for more than thirty years. My grandmother's records all state she was from Tipperary. Had a breakthrough recently via Trove, verifying that Patrick and Bridget RYAN were her parents...but more importantly, that Patrick was the son of Matthew RYAN and Ellen O'Shaughnessy. But does his birth, or that his parents' marriage appear in the Tipperary indexes ? Not on your nelly :(
                    Ryan is about the most popular name in County Tipperary and appear everywhere! Not much consolation!! I have some appearing as witnesses and sponsors to my lot in Thurles Tipperary! None of those appear on the indexes of the Tipperary Heritage Centre!

Until June 2008 Tipperary BMD pre 1864 were difficult to access as the Bishops would not allow public access except through the Heritage Centres. I refused to pay the o prices and as I visited Ireland a fair bit back then we would go straight to the church in Thurles for the records. I did very well and collected many records for Neill and variants and Martley & variants but in 2010 when we last went, we were refused access to the registers!! By this time the records were now available in Dublin but of course we were not going to Dublin on that occasion and we have not been back to Ireland since! So I still have some checking to do but until FMP get more records online then realistically Dublin is the best place.

Plenty of Ryans of Tipperary on the site I highlighted for Tilly Mint. You never know your luck

RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 10-03-13, 17:07.

Comment

Thanks so much, Janet

I have quite a bit of info following Augustine going to India, although nothing on his 1st marriage.

I will have a look through the links you have kindly provided.
                      Jacky

Comment

Jacky,

Looked on Griffiths for Tipperary and found no Ansboro at all but quite a few for Mayo including a Martin. There appears to be only one Martin Ansboro in the whole of Ireland and that is the one in County Mayo so.......! We never find our Irish ancestors where we think they should be!!

You may like to browse arond this site to see if you can find any other Ansboro of interest to you in other counties. according to FMP there are a couple in Roscommon.

Griffiths Valuation is a census substitute and every head of household living in Ireland around the 1850's to 1860's was on this valuation. The Tithe Aplotments are about 1820's to 1830's but not every householder is on the TA. There is a lot of Ansboro in Mayo on FMP, too much for me to help you with but maybe you could get to a library to view them on FMP.ie I found at least 20 references to the name Martin Ansboro of Mayo in Directories, Petty Sessions/BMD Ansboro is an unusual Irish name, which lucky for you does seem to be concentrated in the one county mainly of Mayo.

Where did your Ansboro join the police, in Ireland or UK? You do know that if he was a member of the Irish Constabulary or Royal Irish Constabulary that these records are at TNA Kew. I have one who joined the Irish Constabulary and I found his recirds at Kew which gave me county dates of birth but not townland!!

Happy Hunting

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 10-03-13, 21:28.

Comment

I just signed up to get the free searches, and found 4 possible baptisms for my wife's great grandfather, but none of them the exact year (admittedly I only have his age from the 1901 census and his marriage certificate), and they only list the county, not the parish.

So, I thought I would see how much it would cost to see these 4 records....... €5 each!

What a rip off, especially as it is by no means certain that any of these 4 are the correct ones. Even if I go for a bulk package of €45 it would give me 14 records which works out at €3.21 each.

Guess it will have to wait until we can visit Ireland to look at the parish registers.
                          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                          Devine in Ireland

Comment

I have no idea where Augustines dad Martin joined the police, Augustine joined in India following 20 odd yrs army service there. I think this is why the kind poster suggested why Augustines birth had been in Tipperary, because of the troubles at the time.

I live in hope......Lol

Janet - Thank you!
                            Jacky

Comment

I've been playing with rootsireland and fmp's ireland. fmp's civil reg index provides more information without charge - for instance, the death certs include the person's estimated year of birth. If you're thinking of buying a record on rootsireland, you might want to check fmp's index to see if they provide anymore facts that might be used for inclusion/exclusion

Comment

Working...
                              X