Death caused by Paralysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death caused by Paralysis

Got a Death Cert today for a woman of 50 which says cause of Death Paralysis ,is this possible ? thanks

Why not Val You can have paralysis at any age.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

what I meant was could it be the cause of death ? unless of course it was in the throat ?:(

Comment

There's all sorts of veriety's isn't there? Unless it's a word for stroke?
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Oh sorry, I see what you mean Val. If it was severe paralysis, like Christopher Reeves for example, it could cause other complications that could cause death. If it's an old cert maybe they didn't bother with main cause, secondary cause etc and just listed the initial problem?
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-03-13, 12:18.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thanks for your replies poor woman she seems to have spent some time in the workhouse, the kids have been a trial to find.

Comment

These days if you're paralised they have machines that help with breathing etc. Didn't have them in the olden days, so she wouldn't be able to survive.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

thanks Wendy , I knew that was the case with Polio hadn't thought that any cause of Paralysis could affect you the same way , poor lady.

Comment

I found this brilliant site for old medical terms yesterday when I was trying to find out the cause of death of GGF in India

Edna

Comment

I have that site too Edna. Got a bit of a shock when i found the cause of my GGF's death. I see paralysis as a cause of death is on there.

Vera

Comment

Phthisis Pulmonisis turned out to be Tuberculosis as my GGF cause of death I would never have know that but for this site it is excellent ans shows many forms of use for the medical terms and where they were found.

Edna

Comment

I have often thought paralysis probably referred to a stroke, as I've also come across "paralysed down one side."

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There is also "general paralysis [of the insane]" which is a polite term for syphilis.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thanks all for your replies , and some of those illnesses on that site Edna hardly bear thinking about.

Comment

would mostly be from a stroke, or could have been hemiplegia, where one side of the body is paralysed because of a stroke in one hemisphere of the brain. my ancestor had hemiplegia for 8 mths in 1881, so it depends on cause as to how long someone can survive.

Comment

Working...
                              X