Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone bored??? Lost people on census again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone bored??? Lost people on census again!

I should have thrown this at Merry last week, given her success rate with 'those who do not want to be found'...but I sort of....forgot!

William WALKDEN born 1841 Bury, Lancashire. Occupation: Collier. He married Esther Holden on 14 Oct 1871, Farnworth with Kearsley, Lancashire. Esther born abt 1847 at Farnworth.

1881 and 1891, Esther is recorded as married at 17 Price Street, Farnworth, with 2 daughters - Sarah Ann (1875, Farnworth) and Hannah Ellen (1878, Barnsley, Yorkshire). No sign of William anywhere.

By 1901, Esther is recorded as a Widow, daughter Hannah Ellen is 23 and Esther has suddenly acquired a 3rd daughter Lily aged 5!!!!!!

Daughter Sarah Ann has married John Howarth by this point (1896) and are living further down the street with their 2 children and Sarah Ann's illegitimate daughter Annie.

There are 2 possible deaths before the 1901 that could be William Walkden (both of them were Coal Miners :() but assuming Lily WAS a 'late baby' for William and Esther, then he died on 27 Aug 1900.

As I am not yet convinced by the 'late baby', its possible that William died in 1884, but he should still be somewhere on the 1881 census, if not the 1891!

If anyone can spot him, that would be great!

UPDATE:

From Lancs OPC site (which I should have checked first...sorry!)

Lily Walkden bp 10 Jun 1896, Farnworth with Kearsley, to Hannah Ellen Walkden, Single Woman.

So either death could be William!

Comment

what did Sarah ann say about dad when she married?
      Jess

Comment

It doesn't say deceased but that doesn't mean anything! John Howarth's father WAS deceased when they married but it doesn't say so for him either!

Comment

Maybe you should get this? (hopefully, if the birth is reg by William then you will know he was alive at this date):

Births Q1 1878
          Worgden Hannah Ellen Barnsley 9c 176

Presume they had Lancs accents! lol

I wonder why they went to Barnsley? (or at least, Esther did?)

Comment

Lou,

So you have a HOLDEN in your tree (Esther) - I'm jealous! I suppose that you and OC will be having a family reunion one of these days, lol.

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

lol Tim

And she has Walkden's too altho we've yet to come up with a conclusive match!

Merry

The family DO have links to Barnsley...remember Francis? No...come back, I wasn't going to say too much about him :D

Both Francis and brother James married at St Marys Church at Wombwell and the reg district for that is Barnsley. James married a 'Yorkshire lass' and all their children were born at Hemingfield (again, Barnsley). They are still there on the 1881 census, but are in Wigan from 1891 onwards.

I'm assuming William and Esther were 'visiting' with James and Eliza and Hannah Ellen was born while they were there.

The transcription on her birth was yet another to add to the list of wonderful ones....Wakden, Wagden, Wogden, Wahlgden, Workden. Probably comes as no surprise to find out that the entire family signed everything with an X :D

Comment

i found a relative of mine in 1891 census it she states she a widow but wow in the 1901 hes alive again and living with her, it turns out that in 1891 he was in prison and is on the census as being in prison

Comment

Thats definitely a thought...or in hospital maybe.

Thanks, something else to chew over

Comment

Working...
                  X