Cornforth Time Keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornforth Time Keeper

Hmm looking at the 1881 census for my 3x Great Grandfather Christopher Cornforth it says that his occupation was a "time keeper" Does anyone have any idea what that would be for? I've tried the Google search but there's so many different things coming up. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...s6%3dCornforth
    Last edited by lennon2011; 02-03-13, 21:07.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Timekeeper: A person responsible for making sure things happened on time e.g. worker arriving or departing, trains, coaches, omnibuses, etc.

A useful website for old occupations: http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/a.html
    Elaine

Comment

Lots of different sorts of time keepers, one was a clerk who kept track of an employees arrival and departure times from his/her occupation.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Cheers Elaine.

Comment

There were still timekeepers at the factory where I worked in the office 20 years or so ago. They put out all the time cards for people to clock in and clock out on and then worked out the number of hours worked at the end of the week for each employee. The cards were then collected and sent up to wages department to calculate pay due.

Just looking at the image for your chap - the word "Mine" seems to be added in front of timekeeper, so I think we can assume he checked the working hours of the miners.
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 03-03-13, 12:08.

Comment

Not another Miner! Anyway I've added the daughter & family to the tree and in the 1881 census he's with another daughter so i've added them and now i've been given a hint through Mundia to a tree that goes back to the 15th century. If I add info to one site I check the other for trees and it's there that I found a lot more Cornforth than I origonally had.

If you check this you'll see all the connections to my family:
            Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
            Last edited by lennon2011; 03-03-13, 15:06. Reason: Added a link.

Comment

Working...
            X