Can't find grandfathers birth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find grandfathers birth.

I have been trying for weeks to find my grandfathers birth details but just draw a blank, the details I have of him are:

Name: Albert Edward Jones.
    Born. Bowden, Cheshire 1886 (ish)
    Spouse: Hannah Isabel Haygarth
    Married: 28/08/1909 Liverpool
    Fathers Name: Thomas Jones (don't know anything about him other than he died before my grandfathers marriage)
    Died: 15/12/1944 West Cheshire (possibly Ellesmere Port)

How do I go about finding the details - there are so, so many Joneses!
    Anna

Hi Anna and welcome to FTF

What does it give his age at on the marriage certificate please?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It gives his age at death (in Dec 1944) as 59. So if whoever registered the death knew his age for certain it should narrow down his birth a little.

Comment

His age on the marriage certificate is 23.
        Anna

Comment

Do you know the names of any of your grandfathers brothers and sisters - i.e. your Great aunts and uncles?

Comment

This is them in 1911 - it gives his birth place as Bowden Cheshire and he is 26 -

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-02-13, 09:32.

Comment

Someone had put up a possible birth but it seems to have disappeared now?

Anyway, Bowden comes under the Altrincham reg district. So the nearest birth on free BMD seems to be - April-June 1887 - Altrincham - ref 8a 179

That seems to be slightly late though.
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 02-03-13, 10:09.

Comment

I don't know anything at all about him other than what I have detailed on here. Yes, that is the family in the census details.
                Anna

Comment

Would his date of birth be on his death certificate if I got a copy?
                  Anna

Comment

I wonder if this is him in 1891?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1747719

p.s. Bollington also comes under Altrincham.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-02-13, 09:45.

Comment

I don't think actual birth dates were given on death certs as early as 1944 Anna but someone more knowledgable about that may be along soon.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the birth I mentioned above is the right one. It's only about a year or less out.

It's a pity has father had died before the marriage as his occupation would have been a great help.
                        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-02-13, 09:49.

Comment

It looks very likely to be doesn't it.
                          Anna

Comment

It isn't easy with Jones as you know. I found another Albert Edward on the census whose father was actually John, but he had died when Albert was only young. There is always the danger that Albert didn't remember his father or what his name was.

That birth does look a good possibility though. If you knew the names of any of Albet's brothers and sisters it would be a big help though.

Comment

Have to go now. I will have a look to see how you are getting on later

Comment

His father is shown as Thomas on the marriage certificate. I don't know if he had any siblings as my mum didn't talk about him much.
                                Anna

Comment

Here's the family in 1901 - transcribed on Ancestry as JANES. (Shows some siblings and also that Albert began his working life in the mills)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=19606265

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I found an Albert Edward Jones born 1887 in bowden on cheshire bmds and crossed referenced it to family search but the parents for that Albert are William and Elizabeth.so thats why i deleted the thread as i got it wrong!!!!
                                    There is another Albert Edward christened 1886 in bollington parents are John and Mary Jones
                                    Angelina

Comment

Sorry just going to muddy the waters a bit - found an Albert Edward Jones baptised liverpool stoneycroft 23 Dec 1885 parents thomas charles jones and elizabeth jones on ancestry's liverpool baptisms.
                                      http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=2352

This one fits in with Janet's find of the 1901 census.
                                      Angelina

Comment

The 1891 census in post 10, which I followed up in 1901 in post 17 CANNOT be for the correct family - because I've found that family in 1911. The father is still living and their son Albert was unmarried and still lived at home.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord

So, census wise, it's back to the drawing board!

Jay
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 28-02-13, 11:05.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X