Lennan/Mackay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennan/Mackay

I have the death record of Patrick Lennan here as you know and it lists his parents as Matthew Lennan & Mary S Mackay, both deceased by then. I've tried finding all that I can on them with no luck. There's a note at the side of Matthew's name saying that he had been a Soldier in the Royal Artillery. I've had hints for them but it's showing me the names Bernard & Sarah, Ireland and 1790.

Can anyone advise me how to find it out without buying Patrick's birth cert?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
    I have the death record of Patrick Lennan here as you know and it lists his parents as Matthew Lennan & Mary S Mackay, both deceased by then. I've tried finding all that I can on them with no luck. There's a note at the side of Matthew's name saying that he had been a Soldier in the Royal Artillery. I've had hints for them but it's showing me the names Bernard & Sarah, Ireland and 1790.

Can anyone advise me how to find it out without buying Patrick's birth cert?
    What years and places of birth, marriage etc do you have for Matthew and Mary?
    Margaret

Comment

Technically I don't have anything specific, I have an estimated year of 1790 in Ireland. That's why I'm asking if there's a way to find them, their names are indicated in Patrick's death record as his parents. I've done the Lennon/Lennan search. The Mackay/McKay/Makay variation. I've tried searching for the Royal Artillery records.

There's tree hints on Mundia & Ancestry but again it gives out Bernard & Sarah or in some cases Mr & Mrs Lennon. Those trees also indicate that Patrick has 2 brothers- James & John but when I try searching for them I can't find anything.

Comment

when was patrick born? and where? you must have census reports. lennon is a very irish name, so i would think you would need to look there.

scottish registration did not begin until 1855, england 1837, and ireland 1864. so for any events before these dates you need parish registers.

if your looking at scotland, parish registers are very tricky. in the highlands, most don't start until 1828. in the lowlands, they can begin in the 18th century. burials are almost never recorded. if the record exists for church of scotland or roman catholic, it will be on scotlandspeople. you need to buy credits, and as you know can download the records. since quite a few have irish ancestors in scotland, and since the irish destroyed most of their records in the fight for independance in 1922, i am thinking the names of the ancestors you have will be all you can ever know of them.

if your man is born in ireland, you ideally need the town name, or district, if you can obtain even that much. most irish registers aren't online, but the national library of ireland in dublin does have most on microfilm.

Comment

So thanks to those free 100 credits on RootsIreland did a marraige search for a Mary Mackay with 1790=20 years and a Mary McQuay came up so I did a Google surname surch and guess what? It's another name for Mackay!!

Comment

Working...
          X