No announcement yet.

Disappeared into thin air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never heard of Claybury, but looked it up and see that it is in Redbridge, this confirms it:
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by teasie View Post
      William Dakin's 1904 Settlement examination... lots of "don't know's" on it! Lists his uncle as Benjamin Sharratt of 3 Claude Street Millwall and says his mother died 6 Oct 1894 (but isnt sure!) at Claboro(?) Asylum

ADDED: Quickly looking at it again, I think the questions were answered by Benjamin.
      proves that Emily is sister of Benjamin
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        proves that Emily is sister of Benjamin
        sorry - wasn't thinking straight and wrote rubbish
        Last edited by ozgirl; 02-11-19, 21:11.
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Im getting mixed up myself, but that's right & relevant isn't it? Proves that Emma Sharratt mmn Weaver born 1854 is the same person as Emily Sharratt who married George Dakin in 1876. Looking at the dates again, she married 3 days after her father Samuel was buried.

Benjamin Sharratt was at Claude Street, Millwall with first wife Norah/Honoria in 1881, and his marriage in Ireland in 1874 confirmed his father as Samuel, so he must be Charles Benjamin b 1850.

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
            I definitely think that "Mary" is a mistake and it is Emily, as I cannot find any other instance of a Daykin/Sharratt marriage at that time (although that doesn't mean anything). If so that would mean that Joseph married his cousin's daughter. DNA matching could certainly help.
            I agree the names seem and dates seem too close for it to be anything else.

Originally posted by teasie View Post
            Im getting mixed up myself, but that's right & relevant isn't it? Proves that Emma Sharratt mmn Weaver born 1854 is the same person as Emily Sharratt who married George Dakin in 1876. Looking at the dates again, she married 3 days after her father Samuel was buried.

Benjamin Sharratt was at Claude Street, Millwall with first wife Norah/Honoria in 1881, and his marriage in Ireland in 1874 confirmed his father as Samuel, so he must be Charles Benjamin b 1850.
            Yes Emma/Emily Sharratt one of the same. And like you say same address on census.

failed to find any 1881 census for the Daykins
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              failed to find any 1881 census for the Daykins
              You're not going to believe this, but look at the family immediately after William and Mary EA Hutchings on the 1881 census, living in the same property & transcribed as Deagleuin....

George Deagleuin 32 Railway Navvy b Nottinghamshire
              Emily 26 wife b Middlesex, London
              Samuel 2 son b Stapleford, Notts

They were hiding in plain sight, in the same blooming house as Mary Eliza Ann, her sister :D

Last edited by teasie; 03-11-19, 01:27.

Comment

• doh...I said they would be living nearby - nearer than nearby, that is so funny. well done.

I think I had confused myself with the workhouse records and at one point was looking for more children, and actually only with Samuel born in Notts brings that together too. no George Benjamin or Emily Jane, maybe they had both died.

There are some Benjamin Daykins around, but maybe not him.

As Samuel on his own in workhouse only one left :(
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

• he was george benjamin daykin so maybe this one
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• So does this mean that we have proved that Mary Ann Eliza Rampton is definitely the sister of Emma/Emily Sharratt - it does all seem to tie in together now.
                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Wow, this has certainly moved on since I last looked! Looks like you've cracked it, we just need to know why Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt called herself Rampton when she got married.

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                        So does this mean that we have proved that Mary Ann Eliza Rampton is definitely the sister of Emma/Emily Sharratt - it does all seem to tie in together now.
                        I think the 'evidence' is overwhelming now, there is:?

Post 64 Baptism address is same as the Sharratts
                        Eliza has the Daykins as witnesses as per ScottyHutch original post
                        post 118 Benjamin Sharratt uncle of William Daykins
                        post 126 All living in Battersea in same house in 1881

along with all the other documents everyone has now found for the Daykins family, must be a full set was a good challenge.
                        Anything I have left out?

guess we will never know why she was Rampton on marriage, it doesn't seem to make sense as she was born so long after his death.
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-11-19, 10:46.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• 'Why' is one of those questions you can probably never really answer.

Maybe she just didn't get along with Samuel - I did find it odd that Samuel appears to die alone at the hospital without his death being registered.

Maybe, as she was the first child and born when Samuel was still serving (so presumably not living with Mary Ann) she was known as Rampton from birth and only recorded on the census as Sharratt (I have a family that uses a different surname on the census for 2 generations!).

Personally I think they all did 'odd' things just to drive us mad 100+ years later!

Comment

• and as there is no evidence of a marriage, maybe she never married Samuel Sharratt, and used her previous married name for some things, and so the children did too?

and could be tied to army pension, if there was one?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• I think (although I could be wrong) that you had to serve 21 years or be invalided out in order to qualify for an army pension. Maybe that was the 'severe disappointment' that Mary Ann said caused him so much grief it led to his death?

Comment

• We have a baptism record for Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt so Samuel acknowledged her as his daughter.

Comment

• That is the confusing thing with all birth and baptism records.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• Hi All,

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for your help!
                                    I couldn't have solved this without you all.

I have put together a document outlining what we found (I think) that I am going to attach to my tree, could you have a read and make sure it makes sense and that I haven't missed or invented anything as there was alot of information to take in.

It reads:

Who is Mary Eliza Ann Rampton?

Mary Eliza Ann married William Hutchings, they are my 3rd great grandparents.
                                    On that marriage certificate she listed George Rampton (deceased) as her father.
                                    The only problem is George Rampton can’t be her father as she was born after he died.

Mary Eliza Ann Rampton is a bit of a mystery as before the marriage there is not record of her to be found with the Rampton surname.
                                    With the help of several other researchers we have found out who she is.
                                    She is in fact Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt.

Mary after the marriage:
                                    The first time we find Mary Eliza Ann Rampton is at her wedding in 1877,
                                    Mary EA then appears in the 1881 census with William and their daughter Rose in Battersea as Hutchings at 28 Henry Street.

The family then move to Crewkerne, Somerset and have a son William Christopher Benjamin, a second daughter Mary Anna, then after the death of her husband William she has a second son Frank Reade who died at 7 months.

Mary then dies in Crewkerne, Somerset as a widow in 1893 aged 45

Mary before the marriage:
                                    Below is how we came to find out who Mary was. (Apologies for the long-winded explanation)

There is no baptism or birth record of a Mary Eliza Ann Rampton anywhere to be found.
                                    George Rampton can’t be her father as she was born after he died, but I worked on Georges wife, Mary Ann Weaver still being Mary EA’s mother.
                                    I firstly hunted for another Mary Eliza Ann that was born in 1847 as surely, she couldn’t have made up everything about herself on the wedding certificate.

I found a baptism record in Chelsea from 1847 of a Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt who’s mother maiden name showed as Weaver and whose father was Samuel Sharratt.

This appeared to fit so we began looking into this further.

I found Census records of Samuel, Mary Ann and Mary Eliza Ann in Chelsea in 1851, 1861 and 1871 where the ages of both Mary EA and Mary Weaver added up.
                                    There were 3 children, Charles Benjamin, Mary Eliza Ann and Emma who are all registered with Weaver as mothers maiden name.

I then ordered the birth record of Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt, it confirmed her mother as Mary Ann Sharratt, formerly Weaver. IT listed her father as Samuel Sharratt of the 2nd battalion, Coldstream Guards, this is the same as George Rampton, and his 2 sons John and George Jr (Mary EA’s half-brothers)

After spending a long time on this and not finding anything to confirm my theory I thought I’d try a different approach, I wondered if I could track down the witnesses on William Hutchings and Mary Eliza Ann’s marriage record.
                                    These were George and Emily Daykin.

After a brief search I found a marriage record for them in Kensington in 1876 where Emily’s maiden name was listed as Sharratt.

So I started to wonder, could Emily and Mary Eliza Ann be related?
                                    We began building out a tree for George & Emily Daykin starting from the marriage record.
                                    Although there are no fathers listed on it, it did say that George Daykin was a soldier.

I discovered that George Daykin was a soldier in the Grenadier Guards, as was Mary EA’s husband William Hutchings.
                                    So it’s possible that they both met the Sharratt’s while posted at the Grenadier Guards London barracks.

We spent a while looking into Emily Sharratt to find out if maybe she was a cousin of Mary Eliza Ann,
                                    I then looked into their children, in particular George Benjamin and William Daykin.

Georges baptism in 1875 lists their address as 35 Yeomans Row, this is the address of Samuel Sharratt and Mary Ann Weaver on the 1871 census and electoral role.
                                    William Daykin's 1904 Settlement examination lists his uncle as Benjamin Sharratt of 3 Claude Street Millwall and says his mother Emily died 6 Oct 1894.
                                    This confirms that his uncle is Benajmin Sharratt, brother of Emma (Emily) and therefor Mary Eliza Ann Sharratt.

This means that Emily Sharratt is in fact Mary EA’s sister Emma Sharratt.

After looking back at the original census record that had William Hutchings, Mary EA and their daughter Rose Mary Emily, on the following page were George and Emily Daykin with their son Samuel living at the same address 28 Henry Street.

This just confirmed it further.

Additional:
                                    In addition to this before my Granddad Albert Robin passed away, I got him to do the Ancestry DNA test.
                                    When looking into DNA matches there are a large number of matches for Sharratt, Weaver and even a few distant matches for the Rampton family (Mary EA’s half-brothers descendants.)

I can’t explain why Mary Eliza Ann would have taken the Rampton name and also named George Rampton as her father instead of Samuel, although Samuel ended up dying alone in hospital without anybody registering his death so maybe she didn’t get on with her father, or maybe Samuel and Mary never married so she took the Rampton name.
                                    Last edited by ScottyHutch; 04-11-19, 14:46.

Comment

• Looks good to me (except for the spelling of Electoral Role instead of Roll)

Comment

• Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                        Looks good to me (except for the spelling of Electoral Role instead of Roll)
                                        Thanks Teasie ;D

Comment

• Looks good to me, I would build your tree with links/records we have found and you might see something else.

I don't think ? we found any of the Sharratt children in 1871, the 2 sisters might be somewhere together. Benjamin was in the military I think.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X