No announcement yet.

Disappeared into thin air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism for a Samuel Elijah Daykin in 1878 in Nottingham - Father George, mother Mary. Could Mary have been mistranscribed/misheard

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...0-27?locale=en

Also in 1891 a pauper inmate Samuel Daykin aged 14 in Penge.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• It certainly has confused me! Is that plater? as his occupation.

I did have a search around to see if I can see him on census especially as father George, but failed in that too!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
        Baptism for a Samuel Elijah Daykin in 1878 in Nottingham - Father George, mother Mary. Could Mary have been mistranscribed/misheard

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Also in 1891 a pauper inmate Samuel Daykin aged 14 in Penge.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
        seen Stapleford mentioned on something recently too

seems an amazing coincidence that the names match, and can't see anymore children in the area for those names on GRO, but many other Daykin. But has to be a coincidence?
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-11-19, 13:00.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• and where is Charles. Was just hoping to find a few more links in Battersea.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

• George Daykin b 1846 in (he says) Stapleford was a soldier in the Grenadier Guards. He was pensioned out in 1878 due to Consumption. The next possible sighting is a George Daykin who died in Wandsworth in 1884, aged 38. If this is the same George Daykin, then he couldn't be the father of Charles b. ca 1887. Again, a lot of the details seem to match up. We seem to be going round in circles!

George Daykin b 1846 in 1861 census. His father's name is Elijah, which would fit perfectly with the first born son of George and Emily being given both his grandfather's names.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...SAAEgKBn_D_BwE
            Last edited by ozgirl; 02-11-19, 14:01.
            Linda

Comment

• Elijah died in 1872, which again ties in with the entry on George's marriage certificate.
              Linda

Comment

George Daykin b 1846 in (he says) Stapleford was a soldier in the Grenadier Guards. He was pensioned out in 1878 due to Consumption. The next possible sighting is a George Daykin who died in Wandsworth in 1884, aged 38. If this is the same George Daykin, then he couldn't be the father of Charles b. ca 1887. Again, a lot of the details seem to match up. We seem to be going round in circles!

George Daykin b 1846 in 1861 census. His father's name is Elijah, which would fit perfectly with the first born son of George and Emily being given both his grandfather's names.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...SAAEgKBn_D_BwE
                We certainly are, going round in circles. I was kind of hoping that Charles would end up being morphed from Samuel Elijah.
                I found a baptism which says Samuel a soldier https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...53/edit/record

and then to tie them all up living all in one road in Battersea ha ha.

He seems to be another child of theirs then, it fits. Maybe she did call him Charles, as he would be same age, and I would have expected him to be with her and the children.

NB Charles born c1879
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-11-19, 15:12.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                  NB Charles born c1879
                  But if Charles is 4 in 1891 in the Workhouse, then he couldn't have been born in 1879?
                  Linda

Comment

• I'd been working on Samuel Elijah Daykin funnily enough. Benjamin Sharratt, son of Samuel Sharratt and Mary Weaver had a son, Joseph in 1902 in Poplar. Joseph married Rose E Daykin who's father was Samuel Elijah Daykin who's parents were George Daykin and Mary Sharratt. I've had to stop there as it was beginning to feel that I was going round in circles. These family's seem to be intertwined and the coincidence of addresses and names is a bit overwhelming. I am having a break for a couple of days and will hopefully get back on to it soon.

Comment

But if Charles is 4 in 1891 in the Workhouse, then he couldn't have been born in 1879?
                      sorry yes was 10 years out on the record

They must all be wrong.....I have children as
                      DAYKIN, GEORGE BENJAMIN SHARRATT GRO Reference: 1875 D Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 165
                      DAYKIN, EMILY JANE SHARRATT GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in WINDSOR Volume 02C Page 454
                      DAYKIN, SAMUEL ELIJAH SHARRATT GRO Reference: 1878 S Quarter in SHARDLOW Volume 07B Page 464
                      DAYKIN, WILLIAM SHARRATT GRO Reference: 1881 J Quarter in WANDSWORTH Volume 01D Page 686
                      DAYKIN, FRANCES JANE SHARRATT GRO Reference: 1883 S Quarter in WANDSWORTH Volume 01D Page 614
                      and record is showing them as Benjamin 6, Charles 4 and Emily 2 in 1891...

I have seen a family that match this on a census I am sure.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

• found it:

Name: Emily Dakin
                        Relationship: Head
                        Birth Year: 1855
                        Child: Benjamin Dakin
                        Charles Dakin
                        Emily A Dakin
                        Birth Place: Inaidstone, Asylmor
                        Civil Parish: Horsleydown
                        Residence Place: Southwark London, Horsleydown, London, England
                        Sub registration district: St Olave Southwark
                        ED, Institution or Vessel: 7
                        Neighbors: View others on page
                        Piece: 369
                        Folio: 26
                        Household Members:
                        Name Age
                        Emily Dakin 36
                        Benjamin Dakin 5
                        Charles Dakin 3
                        Emily A Dakin 1

So the workhouse record not them at all! so that means no Charles - even better

and that fits with George Daykins death in 1884 in Wandsworth
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-11-19, 16:11.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by TMac View Post
                          I'd been working on Samuel Elijah Daykin funnily enough. Benjamin Sharratt, son of Samuel Sharratt and Mary Weaver had a son, Joseph in 1902 in Poplar. Joseph married Rose E Daykin who's father was Samuel Elijah Daykin who's parents were George Daykin and Mary Sharratt. I've had to stop there as it was beginning to feel that I was going round in circles. These family's seem to be intertwined and the coincidence of addresses and names is a bit overwhelming. I am having a break for a couple of days and will hopefully get back on to it soon.
                          interesting.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                            found it:

Name: Emily Dakin
                            Relationship: Head
                            Birth Year: 1855
                            Child: Benjamin Dakin
                            Charles Dakin
                            Emily A Dakin
                            Birth Place: Inaidstone, Asylmor
                            Civil Parish: Horsleydown
                            Residence Place: Southwark London, Horsleydown, London, England
                            Sub registration district: St Olave Southwark
                            ED, Institution or Vessel: 7
                            Neighbors: View others on page
                            Piece: 369
                            Folio: 26
                            Household Members:
                            Name Age
                            Emily Dakin 36
                            Benjamin Dakin 5
                            Charles Dakin 3
                            Emily A Dakin 1

So the workhouse record not them at all! so that means no Charles - even better

and that fits with George Daykins death in 1884 in Wandsworth
                            Not sure - the childrens ages are 10 years out.

Comment

• On George's discharge papers (on FMP) he is discharged in Jul 1878 and says he plans on living in Stapleford/Sandiacre. That would tie in with Samuel being born there in the September. Presumably within a couple of years they decided to return to London, where their remaining 2 children were born.
                              Last edited by ozgirl; 02-11-19, 17:18. Reason: spelling
                              Linda

Comment

Not sure - the childrens ages are 10 years out.
                                I think cbcarolyn is discounting this whole family.

It looks like it was an Emily Crowhurst who married a Robert Dakin in 1881.
                                Last edited by ozgirl; 02-11-19, 17:25.
                                Linda

Comment

On George's discharge papers (on FMP) he is discharged in Jul 1878 and says he plans on living in Stapleford/Sandiacre. That would tie in with Samuel being born there in the September. Presumably within a couple of years they decided to return to London, where their remaining 2 children were born.
                                  That all ties in then, so tree is more accurate now but no other tie in to Mary Eliza Ann

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                  I think cbcarolyn is discounting this whole family.

It looks like it was an Emily Crowhurst who married a Robert Dakin in 1881.

yes I was discounting them - they match the workhouse records so have discounted that too, as a completely different family.
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-11-19, 17:32.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

I'd been working on Samuel Elijah Daykin funnily enough. Benjamin Sharratt, son of Samuel Sharratt and Mary Weaver had a son, Joseph in 1902 in Poplar. Joseph married Rose E Daykin who's father was Samuel Elijah Daykin who's parents were George Daykin and Mary Sharratt. I've had to stop there as it was beginning to feel that I was going round in circles. These family's seem to be intertwined and the coincidence of addresses and names is a bit overwhelming. I am having a break for a couple of days and will hopefully get back on to it soon.
                                    I definitely think that "Mary" is a mistake and it is Emily, as I cannot find any other instance of a Daykin/Sharratt marriage at that time (although that doesn't mean anything). If so that would mean that Joseph married his cousin's daughter. DNA matching could certainly help.
                                    Linda

Comment

• William Dakin's 1904 Settlement examination... lots of "don't know's" on it! Lists his uncle as Benjamin Sharratt of 3 Claude Street Millwall and says his mother died 6 Oct 1894 (but isnt sure!) at Claboro(?) Asylum

ADDED: Quickly looking at it again, I think the questions were answered by Benjamin.
                                      Last edited by teasie; 02-11-19, 18:14.

Comment

• I'm wondering if that Clayboro Asylum should be Claybury, and the 1895 death in Romford, Essex of Emily Daykin aged 40 is her?

My Southern geography isn't up to much Im afraid!

Comment

• I just found that too teasie, and thought the same thing.
                                          Linda

Comment

Working...
                                          X