Irish Civ Reg records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Civ Reg records

FMP has added the indexes to Irish Civil Reg, but not transcripts of the actual records - correct?

The only place to obtain a death cert from Cork in 1903 is GRO Ireland? - for 20 euros???

I'm too cheap - this isn't a direct line ancestor, and it's way too common a name!

Any other methods? Anyone know of a newspaper for the area/time?

I got a photocopy of my Great Grandfather's death certificate (1891) from Dublin RO for about 50p. This was about 18 months to 2 years ago. Don't know if they still do this now.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 17-02-13, 08:47.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
      I got a photocopy of my Great Grandfather's death certificate (1891) from Dublin RO for about 50p. This was about 18 months to 2 years ago. Don't know if they still do this now.
      If you go along in person to the General Records Office in Dublin (7th floor, The Irish Life Centre, Lower Abbey Street, Dublin) you can get photocopies of certs for 4 euros. Or you can get someone to get the photocopy on your behalf if you know of anyone who might be visiting.
      i dont think this 4 euros option is available remotely although I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this. The only remote option I've ever seen is the 20 euros fee.

More info here: http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

If you apply by post or fax to the GRO Roscommon office you can buy a photocopy of the certificate for 4 euros. This is the link to the application form http://www.groireland.ie/docs/Death_...rm-English.pdf
        There is a tick box on the form to buy the photocopy & they accept credit/debit cards. I've had several photocopies from them with no problem. I can't see any info on the form about extra postage costs to send overseas so it might be worth just faxing the form and keeping your fingers crossed! Good luck!
        Last edited by Arilla; 17-02-13, 13:00. Reason: problem with link

Comment

Yes, that's the form I filled in when I sent for mine.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Arilla View Post
            If you apply by post or fax to the GRO Roscommon office you can buy a photocopy of the certificate for 4 euros. This is the link to the application form http://www.groireland.ie/docs/Death_...rm-English.pdf
            There is a tick box on the form to buy the photocopy & they accept credit/debit cards. I've had several photocopies from them with no problem. I can't see any info on the form about extra postage costs to send overseas so it might be worth just faxing the form and keeping your fingers crossed! Good luck!
            ooooo, and you can fax it to them Now I just need to figure out how to do an overseas fax!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              ooooo, and you can fax it to them Now I just need to figure out how to do an overseas fax!

Thank you!
              Same as a national fax but put the country code in front of the phone number leaving off the first zero of the phone number.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Arilla,
                Thanks for posting re the €4 photocopy option by post or fax which I hadn't been aware of before. A pity there still isn't an online order form but at least I know now that if I'm getting really twitchy re getting my hands on a copy cert I don't have to wait till my next trip to Dublin...
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Definitely 4 euro as I learned from http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...,599538.0.html
                  Joy

Comment

Excellent - confirmation that you can use this method for out-of-country transactions.

Comment

I wish our GRO was as cheap

Researching:
                      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I hope u do not mind me asking which method you used. Putting credit card details down on paper seems a little risky and if a cheque is used I guess this would involve getting one in the first instance from a
                        bank and in the past I have been refused because of low amount requested.

dreen 22

Comment

I always put credit card details on the form and post or fax it .... never had a problem. I suppose there is a slight risk if the post goes astray, but that applies to any other ordering by post process. A cheque has to be in Euros, so far too difficult/costly for a small amount.
                          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                            I always put credit card details on the form and post or fax it .... never had a problem. I suppose there is a slight risk if the post goes astray, but that applies to any other ordering by post process. A cheque has to be in Euros, so far too difficult/costly for a small amount.
                            I can only speak from my experience, but exactly as Antony says, I do put my credit card details on the form & have never had a problem. The benefits of obtaining the documents I need fairly cheaply to me outweigh the slight risk. In any case, my credit card company are always very quick to contact me if they think there are unusual transactions on my card - even if I made them ! So I do think there are safeguards in place.

Sandra

Comment

I order from Roscommon by credit card all the time and have never had any difficulties with misuse. However, if you are still reluctant to do so, for small amounts you can also send cash. Sounds daft but it works fine. If you want 1 certificate and aren’t bothered about getting your 1 euro change, you can just enclose a 5 euro note with your order. A lot of people do that, and I have never heard of any problems.
                              Last edited by Elwyn; 09-03-13, 13:27.
                              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Do you have up there what we have down under? We can go to the post office buy a Visa card and pay any amount we want on it. So if you've only got 25 pounds on it they can't get more than that.
                                Tora

Comment

We go to the records office in Dublin from time to time. You do however have to pay for searching.
                                  We pay 20 euros and you can have 5 books at a time. And then if you find the ref you require its 4 euros for a photocopy.

Comment

Wow, you have to pay to do your own searching !! All record offices I have used, including the large London ones have never charged. Of course I have never been to Ireland.

Comment

The one drawback with the Dublin GRO method is that you can take out five books at any one time during the day and can sit on all those five books for the whole of that day and then maybe reorder the same five books for the next day. That can be bad news if you have come half way around the world and can only spend one/two days in the GRO. Even if you are coming from the UK and find that somebody is sitting on that very book/s you want to research can have you gnashing your teeth in frustration!! It has happened to me twice on two separate visits to Dublin GRO!

But apart from that frustration you can then obtain your copy of the certificate straight away and can go home/back to your B&B with many certs which you can then sort out straight away and go back to the GRO the next day for further certificates if required. The cost used to be 14 Euros for the day and 3 euros for each photocopy, which was always infinitely cheaper than the cost of a UK certificate.

I will say that the copies ae just strips of white paper giving you the main details, but all details are there, though the photocopying can be somewhat variable in quality. So overall, the cost would be similar to purchasing a UK cert. Of course if you know what certificates you want, then you do not need to go to Dublin GRO at all, and can just order the same paper copies from Roscommon at a cost of I think 4 euros now, which is still cheaper than going for the pink certificate which will cost you 20 euros and will have no more information than the white slips.

Trevor

I wish our GRO was as cheap

There was a move to go for the cheaper white slips here in the UK, but I think the GRO was not interested. Personally, I am unsure about it. I think if you need a lot of certs
                                      for some clarifications then the white slips are OK, but the quality is often very poor so for main Certs I would still prefer the more official looking certificates which look much better in a display. You could never really display the white slips!

I think the white slips work quite well for Ireland because you are often trying to distinguish one Michael O'Neill from another Michael O'Neill, with little to go on and so often make more mistakes than you would do in the UK, where you have more census/wills and other documentation to guide you into the correct family before purchase of certificates.

Janet
                                      Last edited by Janet; 16-03-13, 11:23.

Comment

Working...
                                      X