Still Missing Two Mitchell Deaths - probably in workhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loltel View Post
    No not all the workhouse/infirmary records are on ancestry....

rant over......carry on people :D
    Rant away - I have my pet peeves, too.

You realize that that death is pre-1881, which would mean that the enumerator was incorrect...

Comment

yes, i have loads that are "married" but are widows none the less

I have a will which leaves money to " mary meacham, married woman, wife of thomas meacham"....but thomas died 7 years before this will was made. so mary was still a married woman and a widow
      Lorraine

Comment

Lorraine - you up to two more?
        John VEALE died 15 Feb 1857 in the St Saviour Workhouse ChristChurch - any/all records related to that would be welcome. I've fooled around with them a little, but came up with nothing useful. I want to say that I found the line that listed his death, but I'm not sure - and it definitely had less info than the death cert.

Sophia BREWERTON died in the same workhouse on 8 Sep 1847

Bless you!
        Sarah

Comment

hi sarah

the 1847 records appear to be fragmented.

have a look at this record, its for a mary burton ALIAS sophia brewerton born 1785, not much info but names could open some doors

Lorraine

Comment

what is the line that pointed to john veale ?

and any other info available
            Last edited by loltel; 14-02-13, 22:09.
            Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
              what is the line that pointed to john veale ?

and any other info available
              Sorry, I didn't keep a reference for John (not sure I actually found it, I just remember looking at a workhouse register for someone and thinking the death cert gave me more, and moved on). I do have the death certificate which indicated he died of "Bronchitis, 7 days, Certified", but -

do workhouse records from this era ever give more info? Relatives, where they are, original birth place, etc? Yes, he was in the 1841 census - not of the county; and he died just before the 1851.

Info about John - I believe he was born in Cornwood, Devon, born 1784, had at least one brother William and one sister, Elizabeth Veale Coldridge, both of Devon, & both survived him.

1841 he was a M S in Christchurch, Surrey with his son Edward.

Comment

I am awed that you are able to find anything in these records! Thank you so much! I'm not related to Sophia, but her sister's Bible became the Veale family Bible...long story. But I have connected with a relation of Sophia's, so she'll be glad to have a new angle to pursue! The birth year is in the correct time frame

Comment

hi sarah

sorry about the delay, in you request you say john veale died 15th feb 1857, the only john i can find is 15th feb 1851

this is his admission on dec 6th 1849

and his death on 15 feb 1851 2 years later

not much info there i am afraid, i will look back a bit further later
                  Lorraine

Comment

Oh, Lorraine - so sorry: you are correct, the year was 1851. The horizontal line of the 5 ran all the way to the one, and I didn't pay close attention.

How much would you depend on that birth year? I really like a baptism in 1784 for him. Oh, wait - the death cert age would calculate to 1784. So, perhaps on admission they make a guess, then once they've gathered more info they correct it?

I think it was the second image that I had seen before.

Thanks again, and yes, if you find anything more I'd be interested.

Comment

Lorraine (and anyone else)
                      I finally bought this cert (!), and I doubt that he's my man. This John Mitchell died from a Concussion of the Brain after a fall. There was a coroner's inquest held March 1879 - would that be available anywhere?

I've been hoping that likely certs for both these deaths would show up with the GRO index. Still hoping... I am branching out, and have purchased the cert for this John Mitchell. Other suggestions (for both of them) are appreciated
                      1 881 Dec ISLINGTON 01B 208

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

I finally bought this cert (!), and I doubt that he's my man. This John Mitchell died from a Concussion of the Brain after a fall. There was a coroner's inquest held March 1879 - would that be available anywhere?

I've been hoping that likely certs for both these deaths would show up with the GRO index. Still hoping... I am branching out, and have purchased the cert for this John Mitchell. Other suggestions (for both of them) are appreciated
                        The john Mitchell dying from concussion might be recorded in a newspaper, but I don't have access to any of them!.. sorry.

The John Mitchell d.1881 Islington 01b/208 was 80 yrs old at the time of death. [does that help?not sure if you knew his age at death]
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

The john Mitchell dying from concussion might be recorded in a newspaper, but I don't have access to any of them!.. sorry.

The John Mitchell d.1881 Islington 01b/208 was 80 yrs old at the time of death. [does that help?not sure if you knew his age at death]
                          Shucks, wish I had looked for a newspaper report when I was at the library yesterday but I'll be back there sometime.

John Bidgood Mitchell was born 1803 (not to be confused with the one born in the 1790s). It's been a while since I went thru his records. His wife reports being married in the 1881 but he's not found there.

Still waiting for the latest order from the GRO. Maybe he just went on walkabout and visited children in other parts of the world, and died there. I also think there's a strong possibility that he died in a workhouse, and his age at death is misreported.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

if you post all the details I will search the newspapers, can't see anything with Mitchell, but sometimes the OCR is so bad, that can find on address instead. What date in March was the inquest?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

if you post all the details I will search the newspapers, can't see anything with Mitchell, but sometimes the OCR is so bad, that can find on address instead. What date in March was the inquest?
                              When/where died: 4 March 1879 46 Grosvenor Street
                              Name/surname: John Mitchell
                              Rank/Profession: Laborer
                              COD: Violent. Concussion of the Brain from falling in the street accidentally
                              Informant: Certificate received from John Humphrey Coroner for Middlesex Inquest held 10 March 1879
                              When Registered 11 March 1879

Interesting, I hadn't realized it gave me the day of the inquest when I looked at it before

So, the age would be off, but my experience with non-family informants - the variation from facts are even more likely.

Comment

have looked at all sorts of options, can't see it, found various John Humphrey cases, but not yours.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you for looking

Comment

Interesting - I'm looking at the London Workhouse in Islington, and it seems like there are missing pages on Ancestry

That is page 13 of 13, but it stops in the middle of the M's - what's up with that?

Comment

more here:
                                      https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...e&pId=14404472

you can see on the breadcrumbs at the top of the page, 2 similar titles odd splitting them
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 01-08-21, 14:37.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Have looked at deaths on GRO in and around likely areas. Some you have already dismissed yourself. Some others don't fit when searching background. One I have left is London City 1879 but age way out at 64 b 1815 but will try to dismiss

I note John Bidgood Mitchell witnessed Esther's marriage Sept 1874 but not Eliza's in June 1875. Not sure if there is any significance in that.

Do you know where wife Anne was buried in 1887?

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Do you know where wife Anne was buried in 1887?

Vera
                                          No...didn't London start burying people out of the city by then? And I really don't think they had any money. Pretty sure that Anne was an Annuitant of the Fishmonger's Company thru her father, and that her husband was unable to work by 1861 when he had "no occupation". Anne reported in 1881 that she was still married, but died as a widow in 1887 - her son was the informant, so that should be accurate.

Haven't traced her son with any certainty - he may be my next round of GRO roulette. I'm pretty sure the 1881 death is my man.

Comment

Working...
                                          X