Kenyon Hall College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenyon Hall College

Two of my ancestors appear in the 1901 census as students ( boarders? ) at a place called Kenyon Hall College in or near Winwick in Cheshire. At the time however, it was in Lancashire; if I'm reading the map correctly. I have Googled Kenyon Hall College without much success. Does anyone know just what kind of college it was? My ancestors were not wealthy people, just average working folks. I can't imagine that there would have been money to send two sons to an expensive boarding school. Also, I've noticed on the 1901 census that the students, although mainly from the UK, are from as far away as the US and Africa.

It's puzzling that I can find no mention of the college through any search engines......or maybe it's my lack of internet skills shining through.
    Last edited by rjm; 29-01-13, 02:43.

GOOGLE it

I did, and you can even see a photo of a class, and a school report.

It was a private independent, fee-paying school. It looks as though it might have been an all-boys school.

Photos of it are on flickr, taken from Manchester archives
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

There is an advertisment in the Yorkshire Evening Post 16th May 1899 which states that the fees are moderate and an illustrated prospectus is available on request.

Family tree and biographies of the Mastin family back of northern England

This article is about a headmaster of the college, it is after 1901 but states there is not a lot of info about the college available

Comment

Maybe it wasn't close family money paying their fees. Perhaps a more distant relative, or a local wealthy person or charity decided to fund deserving causes.
        Last edited by JudithM; 29-01-13, 09:37.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

1919 advertisement.
          "KENYON HALL COLLEGE.— High-Class Boarding School for Boys. 20 acres. Fees from 60 guineas per annum upwards. Classical, Commercial and Scientific Education. Proprietor and Principal. Dr. JOHN MASTIN, D.Sc, Litt."
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

One day I'll learn how to use Google......one day......

Comment

I joined the forum recently after reading the interest in Kenyon Hall College. My Father, Harold Tattersall (1903- 1988) was a pupil in 1916/17. In what I believe is a college prescribed text book, "The Cambridge Historical Readers (Intermediate)" First Edition 1911, reprinted 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, address Kenyon Hall College, Kenyon, Nr Manchester. I have his hat (mortar board!) and college prospectus. The principal is named as J Henry Granville. It contains 14 photos and also sketches of the extensive grounds and gardens. There is reference to a preparatory school and whilst it does not include the school numbers, one of the photos shows approximately 40 pupils and several tutors (all male). I have been unable to discover its exact whereabouts though I am reasonably sure it is (most likely was) just West of Culcheth and just East of Newton-le-Willows. Whilst the stone buildings look very substantial I have studied Google Maps and I think it has been demolished. It must have been near to Kenyon Hall Farm and about 1/2 mile from there is a road "Kenyon Lane". Pre the 1973 changes the college would have been in Lancashire but like nearby Warrington it would now be in Cheshire. Its location is descibed as "... in the heart of healthy, bracing, agricultural district 14 miles from Manchester, along the main line to Liverpool, from which it is distant 19 miles."

Comment

Looking at other addresses in the census for 1911 I think there's a good chance that Kenyon Hall is now the home of Leigh Golf Club. The address is
                Leigh Golf Club, Kenyon Hall, Broseley Lane, Culcheth, Warrington, WA3 4BG.
                BTW my Grandparents used to live at Station House Kenyon and later at the cottage next to the railway bridge.

Comment

We went and looked at a house for sale in Culcheth (1993) and the very old resident was still most disgruntled to be living in Cheshire, when he used to live in Lancashire, always mades me smile when I think back. We bought a place in Glazebury in the end!
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                  X