Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Stevenson Occupation 1851

Hi,

Hope someone can help me. I'm trying to interpret an occupation in the 1851 English census for a relative of mine, Thomas Stevenson.

I have attached the scanned record in question. The occupation is ?????? manufacturer. I have tried finding it on the various sites that list 1851 occupations, but can't tie it down. Its the second one from the top on the image.

If someone can interpret it, it would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Attached Files

Ultramarine?
    Some sort of dye or colour maker?
    Moggie

Comment

Yes, agree with Moggie - Ultramarine
      Elaine

Comment

Hi,

Thank you very much for your responses, would never of got that. However it does fit in with possible previous occupation involving the textile industry. Again, thanks for your help.

Peter

Comment

Quite a dangerous occupation judging by this observation.

"My chief object Mr Editor in troubling you with the present communication of which I pray the insertion is if possible to put you the coroner the jury and the public on your guard as to the possibility of a whole family being poisoned from other causes besides wilful or criminal ones and of the extreme probability of such having been the case in that of an ultramarine manufacturer a substance for the preparation of which it is well known that some of the most noxious poisons are used "
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Just out of interest, where are they living? This is often a good clue as to what they are doing.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi,

He was living in Islington, London according to 1851 census, originally from Scotland.

Comment

Can you see his occupation on any later census or certs?

Comment

Hi Heather,

On 1861 census hes down as a patent pinewood manufacturer. At the moment I'm not 100% sure the 1851 is the right Thomas Stevenson, although names, dates, marriage etc all tie up. I'm trying to establish a link with 1841 scottish census as there are a number.

Comment

Working...
                  X