Walter James Neale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter James Neale

Hi Can anyone help me find Walter James Neale (born 1859 in York, Yorkshire, died 1939 Barnsley, Yorkshire) he worked as a law stationer and insurance writer and married twice Elizabeth Cousins in 1880 and Ethel Rose 1902. I can find him from 1880 onward but I can't find him before that. Also I can't find his parents. I know his Father was called William Neale and he was a Marine Engineer (as I ordered the 1902 marriage certificate) I don't know where he was from, I assume Yorkshire. Thank you for taking the time to read this, Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Family Search have a 'Waller Neale' living with Luke Bell 40 Cattle Dealer b. Willberfoss, York and his wife Sarah 27 b. York as their Nephew. When you look at the transcript the name is Walter b. 1859 York. Address 4 Walmgate, York.

There is also a mention of Walters first Marriage to Elizabeth Cousins stating his fathers name was William Jackson Neale. There is no image of this Marriage.

Havn't found Walter in 1871 yet.

Regards, Ian

Comment

Also on familysearch is a baptism of a William Jackson Neal on 28/5/1809 in Sharrington, Norfolk parents Francis Neal and Mary Jackson. Index no I078655

Comment

This line has some interest, I think.

Family search has only one Walter James NEALE, born 1859 in Yorkshire listed. However, there is only a mother named - Susan Neale - which made me wonder if there was actually no father.
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ar%3A1858-1860~

I looked for a Susan Neale in Ancestry and found a family in 1841, in which Susan has, among other, a sister Sarah, living with their widowed mother.
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

The same family may be found in 1851
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

and in 1861

.....when Susan is still living with her mother, but sister Sarah is missing.

Ancestry links the mother to a record in West Yorkshire Marriages and Banns, where there is a marriage between a Joseph NEAL and Sarah JACKSON

Unfortunately for the theory that was forming in my devious mind, I have not been able to find a Sarah Neale/Luke Bell marriage between 1851-1861 that would wrap evreything up nicely, but I'm still looking.

Perhaps the other bits will fit anyway and might explain why we can't find Walter at home with his father, the reputed William Jackson Neale.
        Last edited by Macbev; 19-01-13, 11:05.

Beverley

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Macbev as there are 2 other children listed on familysearch with just Susan as a parent, they are Alfred 1862 and Florence 1864.
          I have found them in 1871 with Susan who is unmarried and a laundress. There is no sign of Walter.
          Family living at East Court, Gate Fulford, Yorkshire Piece 4753, Folio 35 Page 14

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry if this does turn out to be the correct line. Susan's father Joseph rose to be a butler...I suspect he was not able to have his family 'live in' as he appears on the various censuses at his place of employment.
            Last edited by Macbev; 19-01-13, 11:27.

Beverley

Comment

On the marriage certificate (1902 when he marries Ethel Rose) it states that her father is William Rose (deceased) but his father is just William Rose.

If he is not dead why would he never have lived with him? Just before he married Walter James Neale lived at 5 Clyde street, hull and worked as a Law Stationer.

Comment

If you are asking why Walter never lived with his father, I am theorising that his mother and father were not married...but if you are asking why Susan's father did not live with his family, I suspect servants at the time were expected to 'live in' at their place of employment...where wives and children were not welcome.

Of course, we have not yet proven your Walter is the Walter, son of Susan, shown on Familysearch. And neither have we verified that the Susan I found on the 1841,51, and 61 censuses is the mother of Walter I was looking for. It is just a possibility to follow up, given that she had two further children when still unmarried...and that her mother's maiden name was Jackson.

If I could find a connection between her sister Sarah and Luke Bell, I would think it was a matter of probabilities, rather than possibilities.
                Last edited by Macbev; 19-01-13, 13:06.

Beverley

Comment

Hi Suzanne, I'm assuming you don't have Walter's birth certificate? Sometimes, it really is essential to buy a cert otherwise you can find yourself tracing the wrong roots.

Comment

Sorry I am really confused; if his mothers maiden name is Susan Neale why would he list his father as as an alive Marine Engineer called William Neale on the marriage certificate? I understand that he may not have lived with him but for both is mother and fathers last name to be Neale they would be married and so Susan Neale would have a different name from her mother wouldn't she?

It is very confusing. I was hoping that I could find a connection between Walter and William Neale as the only solid evidence I have is the marriage certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne.Pritchard View Post

It is very confusing. I was hoping that I could find a connection between Walter and William Neale as the only solid evidence I have is the marriage certificate.
                      Which is why the birth certificate may help.

Comment

you say you have the marriage to ethel, do you have the marriage to elizabeth? does it give the same information for the father? are the witnesses any help?

Comment

There is a chance William Jackson Neale may have been in the merchant navy but I cant find the records for this ... are they on Ancestry??

Comment

Sorry to confuse you Suzanne. I agree with others that you need to get Walter's birth certificate to make sure you don't go down wrong family lines. And yes, Susan Neale may not be the parent of your Walter...but you will need to get that certificate to find out who was.

Much may be claimed on a marriage certificate that is not necessarily true. I have an instance in my own tree where a child (and his siblings) spent their entire life believing that the grandmother was actually his mother, when the birth certificate revealed it was , in fact, his older 'sister' who gave birth to him.

I also have several instances in my own tree where a child was registered and /or baptised with only a mother's name..and almost invariably, it turned out the mother was unmarried. In those circumstances, the child had to be registered under his mother's maiden name. And often, later in life, the child would 'invent' a father to put on his documents to disguise an illegitimate status. Not saying that this is necessarily the case for your Walter..but bear in mind it is a possible scenario.

It is also possible that a Susan Neale married a William Jackson Neale....cousins, or more distantly related people did marry.

Beverley

Comment

Hi I don't have the first marriage certificate I just have a transcription:
                              groom's name: Walter James Neale
                              groom's birth date: 1859
                              groom's birthplace:
                              groom's age: 21
                              bride's name: Elizabeth Cousins
                              bride's birth date: 1860
                              bride's birthplace:
                              bride's age: 20
                              marriage date: 14 Jan 1880
                              marriage place: Hull, Yorkshire, England
                              groom's father's name: William Jackson Neale
                              groom's mother's name:
                              bride's father's name: Henry Cole Cousins
                              bride's mother's name:
                              groom's race:
                              groom's marital status:
                              groom's previous wife's name:
                              bride's race:
                              bride's marital status:
                              bride's previous husband's name:
                              indexing project (batch) number: M02035-3
                              system origin: England-EASy
                              source film number: 1657074
                              reference number:

Comment

The only William Jackson Neale I can find is spelled Neal and is born in 1809 so probably wouldn't have been alive in 1902 for the second wedding. I think I might need to give in an order the birth certificate. I think William Jackson Neale may have been in the merchant navy but I am not sure how to find the records for this. I have a subscription to ancestry but I cant find anything. What happens on a census if the person is abroad or at sea?

Comment

Suzanne, don't worry about spelling of names, they were spelled as interpreted by a clerk or scribe. Name spellings weren't standardised until early 20th century.

If a person was at sea on a royal naval ship, they should appear on census returns.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 19-01-13, 20:26.

Comment

No help in finding Walter's parents, but you may be interested to know there's an article in 'York Herald' 03 Oct 1884 which mentions Walter. It's about someone stealing ham property of the executors of the late Mr H C Cussons (possibly Elizabeth Cousins father?) charge proved by Mr Walter James Neale.

Do you have access to the British Library Newspaper database? If you are a member of a local library you may be able to access it at home using your library card number. If you have a problem accessing the database you can send me a PM.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 19-01-13, 23:40.

Comment

Have you seen in the index of wills on Ancestry - Henry Cole Cousins? Died 13 Sep 1884, probate date 5 Dec 1884. He left a personal estate of £13,170 5s 6d. Walter James Neale was an executor.

Comment

OMG you guys are awesome at this!! I have spent the whole evening piecing it together but I think you are right! Walter James Neale's Mother was Susan Neale who was too young to look after an illegitimate child so he was looked after buy his aunt Sarah who had moved in with an Older man Luke Bell. Luke never married sarah although they seem to have lived together as husband and wife and when he died his probate record says he left all his money to Sarah Neale (Spinster). I think that as he was married before (in 1851 to Elizabeth) he could not marry Sarah. Then he died in 1861 and she married Robert Jowett in 1867!! Sarah's mothers maiden name was Jackson so I think he just made up the William Jackson Neale being the father and just told people he was in the Merchant navy! Now I just need to find him in 1971 ... could he maybe have been at boarding school? He trained somewhere as a Law stationer??????????

Comment

Working...
                                        X